GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 13:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Sophisticated laser-guided land graders can now flatten uneven

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User
Sophisticated laser-guided land graders can now flatten uneven  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 17:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (01:17) correct 38% (01:28) wrong based on 169 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Sophisticated laser-guided land graders can now flatten uneven farmland almost perfectly so as not to waste rainwater in runoff down sloping fields.

(A) so as not to waste rainwater
(B) so that rainwater is not wasted
(C) so that there is no wasted rainwater
(D) and thereby not waste rainwater
(E) and there is no rainwater wasted

SC34561.01

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Sophisticated laser-guided land graders can now flatten uneven  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 21:26
Top Contributor
B for using the correct idiom 'so that rain water" is not wasted
B
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Re: Sophisticated laser-guided land graders can now flatten uneven  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 21:53
daagh wrote:

Although so that usage is correct ...what is wrong with thereby ?

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
V
Sophisticated laser-guided land graders can now flatten uneven  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 22:14
Top Contributor
Unflinching,
thereby not waste is a verb, who is not wasting water. According to the chocie it is the graders. Graders do not save or waste. They are just machines. . That is the reason 'thereby' is wrong.
G
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 05:51
daagh please correct me, I think So..X..that...Y is the correct Idiom. Please correct me If I am Wrong. I believe A should be the answer.

daagh wrote:

V

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 06:04
Top Contributor
Lone
Which chocie has your suggestion?
G
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 06:07
daagh
In my opinion A should be the Answer So as not to is giving the intention of using Laser

daagh wrote:
Lone
Which chocie has your suggestion?

B

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 07:06
Sophisticated laser-guided land graders can now flatten uneven farmland almost perfectly so as not to waste rainwater in runoff down sloping fields.

Meaning - Laser-gudied land grader flatten uneven farmland perfectly., so that rainwater is not wasted during run off
For me this sentence has meaning issues

It appears during land grader usage rainwater is wasted
Yes.. Flatten earthsurface now rainwater wont be wasted, Contender
Wasted rainwater in runoff - does not make sense
Appears land grader waster rainwaters during runoff normally
wordy - with the use of there

B is the correct answer
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 07:22
Top Contributor
Lone
Look at these examples

Developed by Pennsylvania's Palatine Germans about 1750, they made Conestoga wagons with high wheels capable of crossing rutted roads, muddy flats, and the nonroads of the prairie and they had a floor curved upward on either end so as to prevent cargo from shifting on steep grades.

(A) they made Conestoga wagons with high wheels capable of crossing rutted roads, muddy flats, and the nonroads of the prairie and they had a floor curved upward on either end so as to prevent

(D) Conestoga wagons had high wheels capable of crossing rutted roads, muddy flats, and the nonroads of the prairie, and a floor that was curved upward at both ends to prevent

D is the correct choice. A is not.

Broccoli thrives in moderate to cool climates and propagated by seeds, either sown directly in the field or in plant beds designed for producing transplants.[u]

(B) propagated by seeds, sown either directly in the field or sown in plant beds designed so as to produce

(D) is propagated by seeds sown either directly in the field or in plant beds designed to produce

The correct choice is D and not B.

You must be careful with idioms as far as GMAT is concerned. Probably I do not think 'so as to' per se is acceptable to the ethos of GMAT while 'so adjective as to' the acceptable template.
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 09:26
hazelnut wrote:

SC34561.01

Official Explanation

Logical predication; Rhetorical construction

The sentence is meant to indicate that the purpose of flattening uneven farmland is to prevent the waste of rainwater in runoff.

Note that purpose can be expressed in various ways, including by the use of a clause beginning with so that.

A. In this choice, the implicit subject of the verb waste is the graders. That is, it suggests that these machines would themselves waste water unless they flattened land.

B. Correct. This choice avoids errors found in the other choices and contains no other errors.

C. This choice is incorrect because it unnecessarily uses the wordy there is . . . form; it would be more concise to use the passive-voice verb form no rainwater is wasted, as in choice B.

D. As in choice A, this choice suggests that the graders themselves might waste rainwater.

E. This choice omits the element of purpose conveyed by so that in choice B: and fails to convey purpose. As in choice C, the wordy form there is . . . is used.

The correct answer is B.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Sophisticated laser-guided land graders can now flatten uneven   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2019, 09:26

Sophisticated laser-guided land graders can now flatten uneven

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics