Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6122 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 172
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Starting to study using Manhattan - Should I skip RC book? [#permalink]
nguyendinhtuong wrote:
daftypatty wrote:
RC on the GMATPrep tests were very easy (perfect on them), but I am weak everywhere else. Should I skip the RC manhattan book and focus my time on other areas? Or is it still a must read through?

Based on vary factors. Are you sure that you are really good at RC? Did you try OG RC? If yes, then how much of OG RC part did you get correct?

In case that you get nearly 95%+ in RC part, then yes, you should focus on other part to boost up your score. If no, then you still need to manage your time in different parts.

Thanks guys, I think I have a fairly good idea of my RC abilities because I had previously studied for the MCAT, which had a similar if not more difficult RC section.

However, I am still very cautious and don't want to underestimate anything. Could anyone give me an idea of how useful the RC strategy book by Manhattan is? I understand that the math books and sentence correction/critical reasoning books are a must for a high score, but no one really seems to talk about the RC book as much
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
GPA: 3.4
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
daftypatty wrote:
nguyendinhtuong wrote:
daftypatty wrote:
RC on the GMATPrep tests were very easy (perfect on them), but I am weak everywhere else. Should I skip the RC manhattan book and focus my time on other areas? Or is it still a must read through?

Based on vary factors. Are you sure that you are really good at RC? Did you try OG RC? If yes, then how much of OG RC part did you get correct?

In case that you get nearly 95%+ in RC part, then yes, you should focus on other part to boost up your score. If no, then you still need to manage your time in different parts.

Thanks guys, I think I have a fairly good idea of my RC abilities because I had previously studied for the MCAT, which had a similar if not more difficult RC section.

However, I am still very cautious and don't want to underestimate anything. Could anyone give me an idea of how useful the RC strategy book by Manhattan is? I understand that the math books and sentence correction/critical reasoning books are a must for a high score, but no one really seems to talk about the RC book as much

The Manhattan RC book is OK I think. It's pretty short and mostly focused on techniques to help you efficiently get through passages. If you're already doing well on RC, I would skip it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
daftypatty wrote:

Here is what you can do

Stage 1 - Initial Prep - Stage during which we learn the basic concepts.

:arrow: Practice First 5 RCs from OG, noting down the time you take to Read the passage and solve the questions :arrow: If the average time to Solve the RC is close to 2 minutes per Question with a good accuracy, skip RC book during this stage.

:arrow: If, however, either of your accuracy or timing is off, you'd need to prepare a strategy to tackle RCs.

Stage 2 - Stage during which we take mock tests to diagnose our weaknesses and fix those issues.

:arrow: If you got through stage 1 with flying colors in RC, your performance in Mocks will tell you whether you need to refer a guide for RC.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13960 posts