Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 10:52 It is currently 14 May 2024, 10:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Stern or Kenan-Flagler ($$)?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73197 [1]
Given Kudos: 18960
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2159 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Stern vs. Kenan-Flagler ($$) for consulting [#permalink]
ADrew152 wrote:
I'm a first generation college grad with a business background pursuing a career in strategy consulting post-MBA. While I currently prefer MBB, I'm also open to other firms. I've been accepted by UNC Kenan-Flagler with a half-tuition fellowship and NYU Stern with no fellowship. A large majority of my MBA costs will need to be leveraged. I know that while MBB recruit at both schools, they hire a significantly larger percentage of Stern grads. Is that worth the extra $100k to $150k of debt I would take on while at Stern?

Posted from my mobile device

Hi, congratulations on your admit to great schools. I suggest you go with Stern.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Kudos
Go New York City!
I feel that MBA from a big city is always the better choice
1.You get to expand your professional network beyond your school
2. create opportunities for yourself
3. NYC has an eclectic mix of industries and functions, so great place to learn new things
4. experience the rush of the fast paced business world that you want to be successful

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1261 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Stern vs. Kenan-Flagler ($$) for consulting [#permalink]
Don't force yourself into higher debts in this time of long recession. Perhaps, Kenan-Flagler is better option.

Originally posted by freedom128 on 22 Mar 2020, 13:01.
Last edited by freedom128 on 22 Mar 2020, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
chondro48 wrote:
Don't force yourself into higher debt in this time of long recession. Perhaps, Kenan-Flagler is good option

That’s another thought -
Question - Would you recommend no MBA at all instead?

That is the third option in these uncertain times
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73197 [0]
Given Kudos: 18960
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
There are several schools of thought. All of them involve assumptions that can be questioned and I encourage you to do that.

1. Higher rank schools tend to perform better in recruiting, especially during harder times. (Better alum network, more employers come to campus, better reputation, and higher caliber of students and professors all add up). It’s easy to have great placement reports on the job market is booming and as you John pointed out many times people get hired for just being alive. The difference becomes greater during the hard times such as recessions when hiring is a lot more selective. This school of thought would indicate that a higher rank program would be a good investment because it would have a higher probability of converting a job. This is a more bullish approach.

2. Second school of thought, believes that do you want to minimize debt and cash burn as much as possible and perform everything at the lowest cost. This is a more pessimistic approach but you cannot fault people for being safe and playing it safe.

3. Not going to school and hanging onto one’s job does provide income. The downside of this approach is that one can still lose the job and have to recruit again which would put future bschool plans at a risk if they are unemployed for a while. Even if Juan does not lose the job, opportunities for promotion, bonus, growth will be limited by the general economic outlook. Staying on the job makes sense only if you can limit your downside and secure a deferral admission. There’s also a risk that after years of declining application numbers, a recession will cause a flood of applicants looking to winter through the tough years and get ready to rejoin the workforce in 2 years.

I am totally fine with approach one or two. We all have different risk appetites the depend on our background and our past decisions. Thus Joining a business school provides a high degree of certainty for the next several years. However approach three only works if you can get a deferred admission which historically has been tough to secure but I am expecting schools to have to revisit that policy this season.

These are my thoughts and they all have assumptions as I mentioned. Welcome you to poke holes in them and provide a different perspective.

Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51503 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
I'd go for Stern as during troubled times my risk tolerance gets lower so the increased career services at NYU would be a safer bet of my hard earned money. On the other hand, Stern is incredibly expensive, so if I were you, I would try to negotiate to get some $. That would make the deicison slightly easier.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts