GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 06:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Steven Westminster helped pioneer the exporting

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Steven Westminster helped pioneer the exporting  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Jan 2014, 23:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (02:29) correct 49% (01:41) wrong based on 564 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Steven Westminster helped pioneer the exporting of electronics from China in 1976, the year after Mao Zedong died, and ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm, searching for other countries, from Malaysia to Bangladesh, is capable of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States.

A)died, and ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm, searching for other countries, from Malaysia to Bangladesh, is capable of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States

B)died; ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm has searched for other countries, from Malaysia to Bangladesh, that has the capability of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States

C)died, and ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm has searched for other countries, from Malaysia to Bangladesh, capable of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States

D)died, and ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm has searched for other countries, from Malaysia and Bangladesh, that are capable of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States

E)died; ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm has searched for other countries, from Malaysia and Bangladesh, having the capability of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States

OA to follow

Originally posted by guerrero25 on 01 Jan 2014, 07:39.
Last edited by guerrero25 on 01 Jan 2014, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Steven Westminster helped pioneer the exporting  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2014, 08:27
guerrero25 wrote:
Steven Westminster helped pioneer the exporting of electronics from China in 1976, the year after Mao Zedong died, and ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm, searching for other countries, from Malaysia to Bangladesh, is capable of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States.

A)died, and ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm, searching for other countries, from Malaysia to Bangladesh, is capable of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States

B)died; ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm has searched for other countries, from Malaysia to Bangladesh, that has the capability of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States

C)died, and ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm has searched for other countries, from Malaysia to Bangladesh, capable of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States

D)died, and ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm has searched for other countries, from Malaysia and Bangladesh, that are capable of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States

E)died; ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm has searched for other countries, from Malaysia and Bangladesh, having the capability of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States

OA to follow

I'm not so Sure, but I will go with C.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Jan 2014, 20:53

Prethinking: 'ever since' is the tie-breaker. It means 'from that instance in 1976 (after the pioneering event), his firm has done something' - perfect tense because we are not talking about an action that happened at a point of time in the past, but rather talking about something that has been happening.

'Since' must be followed by a perfect tense to show that the action continued for some time. So, a simple present 'is' cannot be used.

Pronoun error.

Right answer.

From ...and ... is wrong. It should be from .. to..

Wordy and not grammatical

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Originally posted by sivasanjeev on 01 Jan 2014, 10:14.
Last edited by sivasanjeev on 01 Jan 2014, 20:53, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2014, 20:05
guerrero25 wrote:

OA to follow

B and E out as no need of semicolon

A- "is" is wrong and
D - " are" is wrong

I will go with C.

OA pls

"Where are my Kudos" ............ Good Question = kudos

"Start enjoying all phases" & all Sections

http://gmatclub.com/forum/percentages-700-800-level-questions-130588.html

http://gmatclub.com/forum/700-to-800-level-quant-question-with-detail-soluition-143321.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:25
My 2 cents.
Steven Westminster helped pioneer the exporting of electronics from China in 1976, [IC-1]
the year after Mao Zedong died, and
ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm,[IC-2]
searching for other countries, from Malaysia to Bangladesh,
is capable of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States.

Intended meaning:
Steven Westminster helped pioneer the exporting of electronics from China in 1976.
ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm has searched for OC, from Malaysia to Bangladesh.
OC that are capable of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States.

>>Having illogically modifies SVCF.

1.From X to Y.
2.“ever since” needs present perfect “has been”.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2015, 08:56
I wonder why "C" correct? In original question, it means that "consulting firm is capable of..." but in "C", it seems that "capable of " modifies "countries", distorting the meaning of the sentence.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2015, 09:46
The intended meaning is that in countries from Malaysia to Bangladesh, Steven’s consultancy firm is looking for entities that are capable of supplying big companies in the US. However, the text conveys a wrong meaning that the consultancy firm itself is capable of supplying. This error must be amended. .

The step by step process to arrive at the correct answer is:

1. From Malaysia and Bangladesh is wrong idiom--- Eliminate D and E.
Among A, B and C: Eliminate A for the absurd meaning. Eliminate B for the S-V number mismatch. Get going with C.

Take away: Don’t presume that A always carries the correct meaning. If the meaning is absurd, the immediate task is to look for the correct meaning in some choice.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2015, 14:29
In "D", I have corrected "from Malaysia and Bangladesh" to "from Malaysia to Bangladesh". Now can this choice be correct?? Can we prefer this over "C"?

After above correction in choice "D", the only difference is the usage of "that are", which modifies "other countries".

D)died, and ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm has searched for other countries, from Malaysia to Bangladesh, that are capable of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 22:24
guerrero25 wrote:

(A) died, and ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm, searching for other countries, from Malaysia to Bangladesh, is capable of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States

(B) died; ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm has searched for other countries, from Malaysia to Bangladesh, that has the capability of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States

(C) died, and ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm has searched for other countries, from Malaysia to Bangladesh, capable of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States

(D) died, and ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm has searched for other countries, from Malaysia and Bangladesh, that are capable of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States

(E) died; ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm has searched for other countries, from Malaysia and Bangladesh, having the capability of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

The easiest decision point in this problem relates to the choice of verb. In (A) the present tense “is capable” is incorrect. If you start with the timeline “ever since”, you must accompany that with the present perfect “has been”. In (B) the subject verb-agreement is incorrect: “countries…that has the capability” is wrong in addition to using the awkward “has the capability” instead of “are/is capable”. In both (D) and (E) the sentences use the incorrect “from Malaysia and Bangladesh” instead of “from Malaysia to Bangladesh”. With the word “and” instead of “to,” the sentence nonsensically indicates that the countries are somehow from Malaysia and Bangladesh, when they are supposed to be given as examples. Many people will pick (D), however, and overlook that decision point because they prefer “countries that are capable” over “countries capable of…” Both would be correct if there were no other errors – a classic false decision point. Answer is (C).

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V14
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 00:44
I agree with the right answer because other choices can be eliminated for different reasons as stated above,I do have a small doubt.

Though option B and E are eliminated for obvious reasons , whether above question has two independent clauses is my doubt Because " Steven Westminster helped pioneer the exporting of electronics from China in 1976, the year after Mao Zedong died, "

This has the sub and verb so can it end with a semicolon?

And the continuation also has a verb in it so there are two independent sentences ?

Please help me where am i thinking wrong

If you want to Thank me Give me a KUDOS
"I’ve spent months preparing for the day I’d face you. I’ve come a long way, GMAT"- SonGoku

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 04:08
HKD1710 wrote:
In "D", I have corrected "from Malaysia and Bangladesh" to "from Malaysia to Bangladesh". Now can this choice be correct?? Can we prefer this over "C"?

After above correction in choice "D", the only difference is the usage of "that are", which modifies "other countries".

D)died, and ever since, his Silicon Valley consulting firm has searched for other countries, from Malaysia to Bangladesh, that are capable of supplying the big electronics firms in the United States
Even then C should be preferred because even without the use of "that are" the meaning intended is quite clear. Thus, for conciseness, C should be preferred.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 11:18
SonGoku wrote:
I agree with the right answer because other choices can be eliminated for different reasons as stated above,I do have a small doubt.

Though option B and E are eliminated for obvious reasons , whether above question has two independent clauses is my doubt Because " Steven Westminster helped pioneer the exporting of electronics from China in 1976, the year after Mao Zedong died, "

This has the sub and verb so can it end with a semicolon?

And the continuation also has a verb in it so there are two independent sentences ?

Please help me where am i thinking wrong

Hey SonGoku ,

Yes, it can end with a semicolon and then you can have the beginning of an Independent clause. Your thinking about B and E is perfectly fine.

Look at an awesome explanation about semicolons here.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V14
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 22:09
Thanks abhimahna,
That means that is not an essential modifier; Is that the only reason we used comma over there ?

If you want to Thank me Give me a KUDOS
"I’ve spent months preparing for the day I’d face you. I’ve come a long way, GMAT"- SonGoku

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Business Development (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 05:17

Meaning Analysis - SW -started the export of electronics from china in 1976. From 1976 till now , his consulting firm has been searching for countries for export options. (Import to US for supplying electronics to US firms).

-- "ever since" symbolizes the continuity but we have used a present tense and verb-ing modifier here.
-- due to the sentence structure , it appears that "Consulting Firm" is capable of supplying electronics. This is not the intended meaning.

-- that is modifying "countries" and so should not be using "has".
-- wordy - "someone is capable" is better than "someone has the capability" - Not very imp point but making a note.

-- Correct Answer

-- firm has been searching for counties that are capable - "tense forms" - are / has been doesn't gel here. The question is not - whether the country is capable now. Countries must be capable in past when they were choose.

-- "capable of supplying" is better construction than "having the capability of supplying".
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2018, 10:17
Quote:

Approach -
1) Eliminate E and D, Malaysia and Bangladesh is incorrect.
2) Eliminate A --> is(singular verb) and countries(plural subject)
3) Eliminate B --> has(singular verb) and countries(plural subject)
Re: Steven Westminster helped pioneer the exporting &nbs [#permalink] 06 Jul 2018, 10:17

Steven Westminster helped pioneer the exporting

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap