GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 09:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Supervisor Recommendation = Year's Notice?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Supervisor Recommendation = Year's Notice?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 15:50
Hi,

I'm curious to hear from anyone who's had to ask their current supervisors a recommendation for MBA admissions and effectively had to put in notice a year in advance. A few questions I had:

1.) What strategy did you take to avoid tension or your supervisors' letting you go in advance?

2.) If you decide to reapply, how do you navigate the awkwardness (was there any?) of having to ask for recommendations a second time and potentially staying at your current company longer than you'd originally lead everyone to expect?

I understand some applicants ask past managers, someone they've worked with in another department, or someone outside the company to avoid the year-in-advance notice, but I work for a small start-up and think my current supervisors will give the best recommendations of anyone I know. I'd be happy to see if there's yet another way out there I simply haven't come across.

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge
Supervisor Recommendation = Year's Notice?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 17:34
rwx5861 wrote:
Hi,

I'm curious to hear from anyone who's had to ask their current supervisors a recommendation for MBA admissions and effectively had to put in notice a year in advance. A few questions I had:

1.) What strategy did you take to avoid tension or your supervisors' letting you go in advance?

2.) If you decide to reapply, how do you navigate the awkwardness (was there any?) of having to ask for recommendations a second time and potentially staying at your current company longer than you'd originally lead everyone to expect?

I understand some applicants ask past managers, someone they've worked with in another department, or someone outside the company to avoid the year-in-advance notice, but I work for a small start-up and think my current supervisors will give the best recommendations of anyone I know. I'd be happy to see if there's yet another way out there I simply haven't come across.

Thank you!

Well, the first advice would be to understand whether your current supervisor will provide a recommendation, that will not jeopardise your chances. Morover, bring up the topic of recommendation only when you will need one I.e. once you have the score and school selection done. If you are 110% sure that your current supervisor will provide excellent recommendation, one that will be full of examples of your dragon slaying stories then there are two ways to test the waters.

1. Ask him/her a hypothetical question that you heard about a person in your company who is planning to go to MBA and watch the reaction. see if he/she is excited or not.
2. Depending on your comfort with your supervisor, Casually tell your supervisor that you may want to go to MBA in future and see the reaction. Once you see that the supervisor expression is positive then you can bring up the recommendation thing in the next few discussion about the recommendation.

As far as staying back is concerned, make sure you give kitchen sink to this b school application and go out in the first attempt. Some supervisor are known to doubt your commitment , when you share your plan about moving out of the company.

The point is to tread carefully when it comes to recommendation. I know a some folks whose score , essay were stellar but the recommendation did a damage to their overall application. As others will tell you, choose recommenders wisely. If you feel that you want to avoid your current supervisor then mention the reason for the same and most schools would be OK with it.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Supervisor Recommendation = Year's Notice?   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2019, 17:34

Supervisor Recommendation = Year's Notice?

new topic post reply Update application status