Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Kenan-Flagler or Tepper for management consulting opportunities?

75% [3]
25% [1]
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Tepper v Kenan-Flagler [#permalink]
Kudos
cs0784 wrote:

My post-MBA goal is management consulting. (realistically Deloitte/Accenture, etc. Although of course I am going to shoot for M/B/B) 720 GMAT

I'm glad to see you're being realistic. I think a lot of folks get their heads in the cloud when they see that MBB recruits on campus - the reality is low single digits end up there at schools outside of the top 10, whereas at school like Booth McKinsey will take 40+. https://poetsandquants.com/2013/11/26/mckinsey-ups-mba-hiring-at-chicago-booth/

Both schools are going to offer similar career opportunities. The next question is cultural fit: Tepper is kind of like Sloan in that it's a techish program and a lot of your classmates are probably coming from an engineering background. Don't know how to classify UNC, but it definitely wouldn't be "tech"

Next is post-graduation location. Both are probably stronger in their respective regions, so you'll probably do best in consulting offices close to the school. Again, some people think they can go to a top 20 B-school and recruit for Bain in San Francisco, when in reality, that's one of the toughest spots to land because everyone wants to be there. If you go to UNC for instance, be stoked if you can land a spot at McKinsey in Charlotte, because that probably won't be easier either.

Best of luck, and congrats! You don't have to spend your holidays writing essays!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
I'd say these schools are definitely peers. Given that you loved both, I'd also suggest thinking about whether you're more interested in living in the South or the North East during and after business school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
I'm curious about why you went from schools in the top 10 (Tuck/Dartmouth) to schools below 20 (CMU/UNC)

What about schools in the 10-20 range? If you're looking at consulting, I would look strongly at Duke and UVA if I were you. I'd also look at UCLA and Ross, although they have slightly less placement in MC.

Did either Tuck or Kellogg interview you? If so, that's a good sign that you might be more competitive at Duke/UVA.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Send PM
dave785 wrote:

Did either Tuck or Kellogg interview you? If so, that's a good sign that you might be more competitive at Duke/UVA.

Unfortunately, Tuck and Kellogg both have open interview, so it's tough to tell.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dave785 wrote:
I'm curious about why you went from schools in the top 10 (Tuck/Dartmouth) to schools below 20 (CMU/UNC)

What about schools in the 10-20 range? If you're looking at consulting, I would look strongly at Duke and UVA if I were you. I'd also look at UCLA and Ross, although they have slightly less placement in MC.

Thanks all for the input. Just to elaborate on my profile, I did apply to Duke, dinged without interview. Tuck and Kellogg I did interview with, as it is as Cobra mentions open. As far as UVA, I am a military applicant, and they get a TON, so with a 2.8 UGPA, I was prioritizing my time there, as the military background is much less unique.

I have considered second round applications to Booth and/or Sloan with a GMAT retake (I am practice testing 760/770 consistently) to make myself more appealing to top-10s with my low undergrad gpa.

Dave: I am curious, which rankings do you follow? UNC and CMU are top 20 on US News (19 and 20) and on the businessweek rankings, CMU is as high as 11th. Also, Duke and Ross are more of a top 10 institution as far as I know.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
I am mostly looking at the cluster list, which I think does a good job of differentiating between Elite programs and trans-elite programs. I think the biggest difference is in placement - UNC and CMU are both fairly regional programs, while UVA and Duke can place you anymore in the country, ableit leaning towards the south.

If I were you, I'd go to Emory... which is comparable to UNC and CMU... but that's because I want to end up in Atlanta.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dave785 wrote:
I am mostly looking at the cluster list, which I think does a good job of differentiating between Elite programs and trans-elite programs. I think the biggest difference is in placement - UNC and CMU are both fairly regional programs, while UVA and Duke can place you anymore in the country, ableit leaning towards the south.

If I were you, I'd go to Emory... which is comparable to UNC and CMU... but that's because I want to end up in Atlanta.

Yeah, same cluster as Emory... UNC is very successful in Atlanta as well - especially with Deloitte to my understanding. Rankings are nearly identical too... maybe another option for you as well. I loved it there during the visit.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
cs0784 wrote:

I have considered second round applications to Booth and/or Sloan with a GMAT retake (I am practice testing 760/770 consistently) to make myself more appealing to top-10s with my low undergrad gpa.

If you're gonna do it, do it right. This blog post came out and is very relevant to your situation: https://essaysnark.com/2013/12/its-that-time-of-year/

Also - worst case scenario you end up in Chapel Hill partying with UNC Sorority girls. Just sayin'.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
cs0784 wrote:

If you're gonna do it, do it right. This blog post came out and is very relevant to your situation: https://essaysnark.com/2013/12/its-that-time-of-year/

Also - worst case scenario you end up in Chapel Hill partying with UNC Sorority girls. Just sayin'.

Big essaysnark fan but hadn't read that one yet. Great point. Best to focus on the next step possibly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
Send PM
This is not a debate. UNC isn't in the same stratosphere as Tepper. Go to Pittsburg and be glad you made the right call.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts