Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [5]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
Schools: Babson '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [2]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [2]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Re: The book surpasses all expectations. It goes beyond describing the str [#permalink]
Kudos
Just to add onto some previous posts:

The "surpasses all expectations" line suggests that the readers got more than they thought they would. As the book concentrates on highlighting the difficulties in the valley, expectations being surpassed points to the "tougher than previously thought" in option A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.84
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The book surpasses all expectations. It goes beyond describing the str [#permalink]
How is A right?
How do we know about 'previously thought'?
I would go for D in this case.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Micky1005 wrote:
How is A right?

I have explained it in above post. Please go through that. Please raise any specific doubt.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
aragonn wrote:
Micky1005 wrote:
How is A right?

I have explained it in above post. Please go through that. Please raise any specific doubt.

I don't think that the OA is correct "life in the valley is tougher than previously thought". Since it is not mentioned by whom it was thought, this should be absolute true for everyone, including people who live in the volley, neighboring countries, or non-Western world. We are told about Western world readers only: "it opens to the Western readers hitherto unknown harsh realities".

The issue can be solved if "by Western world readers" will be added. Otherwise yet non-perfect B sounds stronger.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
The book surpasses all expectations. It goes beyond describing the str [#permalink]
aragonn wrote:
prashant6923 Harshgmat kunalcvrce

Guys, Hope it will be helpful. Do give me your thoughts or raise doubts.

Premise:
describing content of the book. it opens to the Western readers hitherto unknown harsh realities of abject poverty and utter negligence by the local government on key issues such as education, healthcare, and terrorism.

Conclusion:
It goes beyond describing the struggle for survival in the valley

Pre-thinking:
We need to complete the passage and tell what is absolutely indicated by the book. One of the following choice would be absolutely correct.

B. it is time Western readers knew about life in the valley --- we don't know if something such as this is mentioned. is it the time that is why book is written. to wide choice to predict.
C. books are capable of spreading awareness about certain geographies ignored by other media --- Surely book is about the valley, but that does not mean it ignored rest of the geographies.
E. the valley government is unfair to its citizens --- this choice is too wide. unfair can has many meanings. that too in what area. in certain area gov may be fair, but not mentioned in this abstract.

Tricky choices:
D. government should focus on providing education and healthcare, and countering terrorism --- So my question is, from any possible way, one can say that book indicated that gov should do anything at all. Showing some atrocities/negligence does not mean one want to give an indication for focus. Moreover may be many more issues needed gov focus.

A. life in the valley is tougher than previously thought --- So I was left with choice A, but it took me some time to give a verdict. Clearly it not a fav choice but its the best answer. So key work is 'unknown'. This word indicates that readers don't know about few harsh realities and book indicated them in this direction. these few are indicated as education and healthcare, and countering terrorism.

aragonn

Thanks for OE mate...

You are right key here is words -
unknown harsh realities

So A). life in the valley is tougher than previously thought

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hero8888 wrote:
aragonn wrote:
Micky1005 wrote:
How is A right?

I don't think that the OA is correct "life in the valley is tougher than previously thought". Since it is not mentioned by whom it was thought, this should be absolute true for everyone, including people who live in the volley, neighboring countries, or non-Western world. We are told about Western world readers only: "it opens to the Western readers hitherto unknown harsh realities".

The issue can be solved if "by Western world readers" will be added. Otherwise yet non-perfect B sounds stronger.

I think you are thinking too much. this abstract is about book and audience is reader. A book can open up to reader only.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: The book surpasses all expectations. It goes beyond describing [#permalink]
Hope your preparation is going well. As it can be seen that there is a word clearly present in the last line which shows that the sentence will be completed by presenting the conclusion.
In such questions, the approach is to rightly identify the facts presented in the arguments and see what can be logically interpreted from the information provided. POE tools are
1. Out of scope
2.Extreme language
A- All the details in this options are supported by the premise. It can be said that A is concluded from the details mentioned in the Premise.
The book surpasses all expectations-> same as the phrase “ previously thought”
Struggle for survival in valley-> Life in the valley is tougher. Hence A is the correct Answer.
B-not supported by the premise. There is no detail in the argument that can conclude with B.
C-out of scope/ generalization of facts in the argument.
D- premise doesn’t talk about anything that can conclude to D
E- cannot conclude that being negligent is unfair. Also, E says that all the government is unfair to the citizen( all residents), however, it cannot be concluded from the argument that all the citizens are suffering. Only a few/ most of the citizen( not all citizens) are affected by lack of education, poverty, health care and terrorism.
Hope it helps. consistency is the key to do well.
All the best!!
PythaGURUS Faculty Team
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [1]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Let me summarize the important posts on this thread and share the official explanation.

The question:

BobsterGMAT wrote:
The book surpasses all expectations. It goes beyond describing the struggle for survival in the valley; it opens to the Western readers hitherto unknown harsh realities of abject poverty and utter negligence by the local government on key issues such as education, healthcare, and terrorism. Clearly, the book indicates that________.

which of the following best completes the passage?

a)Life in the valley is tougher than previously thought

b) it is time Western readers knew about life in the valley

c) books are capable of spreading awareness about certain geographies ignored by other media

d) government should focus on providing education and healthcare, and countering terrorism

e) the valley government is unfair to its citizens.

Official answer is A.

Fine analysis by @aagonn

aragonn wrote:
Guys, Hope it will be helpful. Do give me your thoughts or raise doubts.

Premise:
describing content of the book. it opens to the Western readers hitherto unknown harsh realities of abject poverty and utter negligence by the local government on key issues such as education, healthcare, and terrorism.

Conclusion:
It goes beyond describing the struggle for survival in the valley

Pre-thinking:
We need to complete the passage and tell what is absolutely indicated by the book. One of the following choice would be absolutely correct.

B. it is time Western readers knew about life in the valley --- we don't know if something such as this is mentioned. is it the time that is why book is written. to wide choice to predict.
C. books are capable of spreading awareness about certain geographies ignored by other media --- Surely book is about the valley, but that does not mean it ignored rest of the geographies.
E. the valley government is unfair to its citizens --- this choice is too wide. unfair can has many meanings. that too in what area. in certain area gov may be fair, but not mentioned in this abstract.

Tricky choices:
D. government should focus on providing education and healthcare, and countering terrorism --- So my question is, from any possible way, one can say that book indicated that gov should do anything at all. Showing some atrocities/negligence does not mean one want to give an indication for focus. Moreover may be many more issues needed gov focus.

A. life in the valley is tougher than previously thought --- So I was left with choice A, but it took me some time to give a verdict. Clearly it not a fav choice but its the best answer. So key work is 'unknown'. This word indicates that readers don't know about few harsh realities and book indicated them in this direction. these few are indicated as education and healthcare, and countering terrorism.

aragonn's doubt in green addressed beatifully by @Ifc

lfc wrote:
Just to add onto some previous posts:

The "surpasses all expectations" line suggests that the readers got more than they thought they would. As the book concentrates on highlighting the difficulties in the valley, expectations being surpassed points to the "tougher than previously thought" in option A.

Further wisdom by aragonn
(It's important to remember that GMAT wouldn't give you the exact answer choice you want; it's about the best of the five answer choices!)

aragonn wrote:
Hero8888 wrote:
aragonn wrote:

I think you are thinking too much. this abstract is about book and audience is reader. A book can open up to reader only.

Here is a concise video explanation:

All the best!
Experts' Global team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 209
Schools: LBS '21
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Hey aragonn,

I don't where I am leaving the gap.But for me, Conclusion is "Book surpasses all the expectation by opening up unknown reality and negligence of local government.
the author describes how the book surpasses all the expectation.

aragonn
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts