GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 09:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The book surpasses all expectations. It goes beyond describing the str

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
V
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
The book surpasses all expectations. It goes beyond describing the str  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 18:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (00:55) correct 54% (01:03) wrong based on 128 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The book surpasses all expectations. It goes beyond describing the struggle for survival in the valley; it opens to the Western readers hitherto unknown harsh realities of abject poverty and utter negligence by the local government on key issues such as education, healthcare, and terrorism. Clearly, the book indicates that _________.

Which of the following best completes the passage?

A. life in the valley is tougher than previously thought
B. it is time Western readers knew about life in the valley
C. books are capable of spreading awareness about certain geographies ignored by other media
D. government should focus on providing education and healthcare, and countering terrorism
E. the valley government is unfair to its citizens

Source - expert global

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The book surpasses all expectations. It goes beyond describing the str  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 22:49
aragonn wrote:
The book surpasses all expectations. It goes beyond describing the struggle for survival in the valley; it opens to the Western readers hitherto unknown harsh realities of abject poverty and utter negligence by the local government on key issues such as education, healthcare, and terrorism. Clearly, the book indicates that _________.

C. books are capable of spreading awareness about certain geographies ignored by other media
D. government should focus on providing education and healthcare, and countering terrorism

Source - expert global

How A is correct. It adds "previously thought" since nothing is mentioned about "previously thought".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The book surpasses all expectations. It goes beyond describing the str  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 08:22
aragonn wrote:

Source - expert global

aragonn

OE please...

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 23:29
Would like to see the reasoning of those 38% who marked the Answer as A.Waiting for OE.
VP
VP
V
The book surpasses all expectations. It goes beyond describing the str  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Jul 2018, 02:32
prashant6923 Harshgmat kunalcvrce

Guys, Hope it will be helpful. Do give me your thoughts or raise doubts.

Premise:
describing content of the book. it opens to the Western readers hitherto unknown harsh realities of abject poverty and utter negligence by the local government on key issues such as education, healthcare, and terrorism.

Conclusion:
It goes beyond describing the struggle for survival in the valley

Pre-thinking:
We need to complete the passage and tell what is absolutely indicated by the book. One of the following choice would be absolutely correct.

B. it is time Western readers knew about life in the valley --- we don't know if something such as this is mentioned. is it the time that is why book is written. to wide choice to predict.
C. books are capable of spreading awareness about certain geographies ignored by other media --- Surely book is about the valley, but that does not mean it ignored rest of the geographies.
E. the valley government is unfair to its citizens --- this choice is too wide. unfair can has many meanings. that too in what area. in certain area gov may be fair, but not mentioned in this abstract.

Tricky choices:
D. government should focus on providing education and healthcare, and countering terrorism --- So my question is, from any possible way, one can say that book indicated that gov should do anything at all. Showing some atrocities/negligence does not mean one want to give an indication for focus. Moreover may be many more issues needed gov focus.

A. life in the valley is tougher than previously thought --- So I was left with choice A, but it took me some time to give a verdict. Clearly it not a fav choice but its the best answer. So key work is 'unknown'. This word indicates that readers don't know about few harsh realities and book indicated them in this direction. these few are indicated as education and healthcare, and countering terrorism.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:

My Notes:

Originally posted by aragonn on 21 Jul 2018, 20:24.
Last edited by aragonn on 22 Jul 2018, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 22:22
Just to add onto some previous posts:

The "surpasses all expectations" line suggests that the readers got more than they thought they would. As the book concentrates on highlighting the difficulties in the valley, expectations being surpassed points to the "tougher than previously thought" in option A.

“Pain + Reflection = Progress”
― Ray Dalio

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 02:23
How is A right?
How do we know about 'previously thought'?
I would go for D in this case.
VP
VP
V

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 02:26
Micky1005 wrote:
How is A right?

I have explained it in above post. Please go through that. Please raise any specific doubt.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

Best Gmat Resource:

My Notes:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 08:19
aragonn wrote:
Micky1005 wrote:
How is A right?

I have explained it in above post. Please go through that. Please raise any specific doubt.

I don't think that the OA is correct "life in the valley is tougher than previously thought". Since it is not mentioned by whom it was thought, this should be absolute true for everyone, including people who live in the volley, neighboring countries, or non-Western world. We are told about Western world readers only: "it opens to the Western readers hitherto unknown harsh realities".

The issue can be solved if "by Western world readers" will be added. Otherwise yet non-perfect B sounds stronger.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 10:44
aragonn wrote:
prashant6923 Harshgmat kunalcvrce

Guys, Hope it will be helpful. Do give me your thoughts or raise doubts.

Premise:
describing content of the book. it opens to the Western readers hitherto unknown harsh realities of abject poverty and utter negligence by the local government on key issues such as education, healthcare, and terrorism.

Conclusion:
It goes beyond describing the struggle for survival in the valley

Pre-thinking:
We need to complete the passage and tell what is absolutely indicated by the book. One of the following choice would be absolutely correct.

B. it is time Western readers knew about life in the valley --- we don't know if something such as this is mentioned. is it the time that is why book is written. to wide choice to predict.
C. books are capable of spreading awareness about certain geographies ignored by other media --- Surely book is about the valley, but that does not mean it ignored rest of the geographies.
E. the valley government is unfair to its citizens --- this choice is too wide. unfair can has many meanings. that too in what area. in certain area gov may be fair, but not mentioned in this abstract.

Tricky choices:
D. government should focus on providing education and healthcare, and countering terrorism --- So my question is, from any possible way, one can say that book indicated that gov should do anything at all. Showing some atrocities/negligence does not mean one want to give an indication for focus. Moreover may be many more issues needed gov focus.

A. life in the valley is tougher than previously thought --- So I was left with choice A, but it took me some time to give a verdict. Clearly it not a fav choice but its the best answer. So key work is 'unknown'. This word indicates that readers don't know about few harsh realities and book indicated them in this direction. these few are indicated as education and healthcare, and countering terrorism.

aragonn

Thanks for OE mate...

You are right key here is words -
unknown harsh realities

So A). life in the valley is tougher than previously thought

Posted from my mobile device

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

VP
VP
V

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 19:12
Hero8888 wrote:
aragonn wrote:
Micky1005 wrote:
How is A right?

I don't think that the OA is correct "life in the valley is tougher than previously thought". Since it is not mentioned by whom it was thought, this should be absolute true for everyone, including people who live in the volley, neighboring countries, or non-Western world. We are told about Western world readers only: "it opens to the Western readers hitherto unknown harsh realities".

The issue can be solved if "by Western world readers" will be added. Otherwise yet non-perfect B sounds stronger.

I think you are thinking too much. this abstract is about book and audience is reader. A book can open up to reader only.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

Best Gmat Resource:

My Notes:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The book surpasses all expectations. It goes beyond describing the str &nbs [#permalink] 22 Jul 2018, 19:12

The book surpasses all expectations. It goes beyond describing the str

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap