GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Feb 2019, 03:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

February 21, 2019

February 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT

The Jamaican Senate has determined that the prime minister be tasked

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
The Jamaican Senate has determined that the prime minister be tasked  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 06:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (01:06) correct 44% (01:26) wrong based on 180 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 86: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The Jamaican Senate has determined that the prime minister be tasked with appointing thirteen members to its panel, while the opposition's leader can only appoint eight.

(A) that the prime minister be tasked with appointing thirteen members to its panel

(B) that the prime minister is tasked with appointing thirteen members to its panel

(C) the prime minister is tasked with appointing thirteen members to it's panel

(D) thirteen members' appointment to its panel be tasked with the prime minister

(E) he is tasked with appointing thirteen members to its panel - the prime minister

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
There may be no best/excellent answers, or a there may be a few excellent answers!

The few, the fearless !

Board of Directors
P
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The Jamaican Senate has determined that the prime minister be tasked  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 08:24
sudarshan22 wrote:

The Jamaican Senate has determined that the prime minister be tasked with appointing thirteen members to its panel, while the opposition's leader can only appoint eight.

(A) that the prime minister be tasked with appointing thirteen members to its panel

(B) that the prime minister is tasked with appointing thirteen members to its panel

(D) thirteen members' appointment to its panel be tasked with the prime minister

(E) he is tasked with appointing thirteen members to its panel - the prime minister

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
There may be no best/excellent answers, or a there may be a few excellent answers!

Demand is a bossy word requiring a subjunctive usage, demand x that y be z, hence answer must be (A)

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

SVP
SVP
G
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The Jamaican Senate has determined that the prime minister be tasked  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 08:29
sudarshan22 wrote:

IMO A
Subjunctive sentence ; usage of verbs 'be' correct in sentence..

If you liked my solution then please give Kudos. Kudos encourage active discussions.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 11:28
I'm confused here. Isn't appointed to is used rather than with

Posted from my mobile device
Senior SC Moderator
V
The Jamaican Senate has determined that the prime minister be tasked  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 11:39
Quote:

Shreshtha55 wrote:
I'm confused here. Isn't appointed to is used rather than with

Shreshtha55 , yes, "appointed to" is correct.

I'm not sure how you're getting the idea that appoint in any form or in any of the options is followed by "with."

Take a look at Abhishek009 's post. I think that you may be focused on the wrong verb.

Hope that helps. :-)

To live is the rarest thing in the world.
Most people just exist.

Oscar Wilde

Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 12:33
sudarshan22 wrote:

we are differentiating 13 members to 8 members here. So, in non-underlined part, the arrangement of words should be "can appoint only 8" not "can only appoint 8". I may be wrong! Please correct me if i am wrong, expert.
Thanks__

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 12:49
AsadAbu wrote:
sudarshan22 wrote:

we are differentiating 13 members to 8 members here. So, in non-underlined part, the arrangement of words should be "can appoint only 8" not "can only appoint 8". I may be wrong! Please correct me if i am wrong, expert.
Thanks__

And I think, this question is poorly written for my above statement! Can you correct me MartyMurray, GMATNinja, DmitryFarber, AjiteshArun and ccooley if I'm wrong?
Thanks__

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 15:20
There's a fair amount of disagreement out there about how important the placement of "only" is. Many of us (myself included) allow a fair amount of flexibility. Others insist that "only" touch the exact word it is meant to apply to, or at least that it come as close as possible.

Since the question doesn't give us the option to put "only" next to "eight," clearly the author wasn't concerned about this. Would the GMAT use "only" in this way? I can't say for sure. If anyone wants to dig up some examples, we can go over them, but I'd suggest a little leeway here unless we see a clear split in the use of only. Certainly, if the only significant difference between two answers were "only appoint eight" or "appoint only eight," I'd go for the latter.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 17:23
I'm not sure if the word 'determined' used in this sentence falls under the category of "ask","suggest","insist", or "demand" that mandates the usage of base form of verb after the word "that", hence it is not subjective clause.Option A is ruled out.

Options C,D&E does not use the word ' that' after determined,hence incorrect.

So selecting option B
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2019, 00:10
As the sentence uses perfect past participle, so the rest of the sentence must be in the same tence.

Option B incorrectly uses is tasked, so is option C.

Option D incorrectly uses noun action instead of Verb.
Option E is conveys incorrect meaning.

So option A is grammatically correct and meaningful.

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2019, 07:42
Quote:

Q1:
What's the basic difference in the color part of A and B, expert?
Q2:
Why B is wrong?
Q3:
How the use of "its" makes sense in A?
Thanks_
Attachments

post.PNG
post.PNG [ 26.41 KiB | Viewed 964 times ]

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2019, 08:31
Top Contributor
Abhishek

Where is the verb, demand or demanded in any of the choices? There is only has determined in the non-underlined part, holding good for all the five choices.

GMAT coaching under able guidance is only half expensive and time-consuming as a self-study in the final reckoning

SC Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2019, 10:20
Official Explanation :

The original sentence may sound awkward, it is indeed correct as written. The sentence correctly uses the subjunctive tense for determined that...be tasked. The idiomatic construction here is tasked with.

Choice (B) replaces be with is, resulting in an incorrect subjunctive structure.

Choice (C) eliminates that, has is instead of be, and also fiddles with the possessive pronoun its.

Choice (D) and (E) eliminate that. The correct answer is (A).

The few, the fearless !

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 19:18
daagh wrote:
Abhishek

Where is the verb, demand or demanded in any of the choices? There is only has determined in the non-underlined part, holding good for all the five choices.

"DEMAND/DEMANDED" is not in any of choices.
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 20:08
ammuseeru wrote:
daagh wrote:
Abhishek

"DEMAND/DEMANDED" is not in any of choices.

ammuseeru , I think that daagh means to say that Abhishek wrote "demand" in his answer but "demand" is NOT in the question.

I could be mistaken about that comment.

Incidentally,
The question does not require that "demand" or a synonym be used.

The verb determine also often takes the subjunctive.

Quote:
Verbs that are often followed by "that" clauses with subjunctive verbs:
announce, ask, as if, as though, demand, determine, indicate,
insist, move, order, prefer, propose, recommend, request, require, and suggest.

From Grammar Handbook: Verb Mood , online at Center for Writing Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne, HERE, accessed Feb 2, 2019.

And from THIS SITE
Quote:
These are verbs typically followed by clauses that take the subjunctive:
ask, demand, determine, insist, move, order, pray, prefer, recommend, regret, request, require, suggest, and wish.

Hope that helps.

Most people just exist.

Oscar Wilde

Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 20:29
generis

I also fell for this and marked B. I thought the tone of the word determine is NOT SUBJUNCTIVE .
Hence I rejected A.

But you mentioned that it can be used as a bossy verb. Is that correct?? Is the OA A correct??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 20:37
warrior1991 wrote:
generis

I also fell for this and marked B. I thought the tone of the word determine is NOT SUBJUNCTIVE .
Hence I rejected A.

But you mentioned that it can be used as a bossy verb. Is that correct?? Is the OA A correct??

warrior1991 , yes, determine takes the subjunctive.

In my post above, if you look at the (inexhaustive) list of verbs that both grammar sites identify as often used in the subjunctive construction, you will see that not all of them are "bossy."

I included links.

Suggest, for example, is a bossy verb that does not, well, boss in the way that the word demand "bosses."

Regret, which is not bossy, also frequently takes the subjunctive.

Determine often takes the subjunctive, and the OA (Option A) is correct. :-)

Most people just exist.

Oscar Wilde

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 22:58
Top Contributor
Generis,

Thanks for the new info; I did not know that 'determine' is included in the list of the subjunctive verbs.

The second thing was the implication of the Word 'Senate'. I used to think that Prime Minister is usually the supreme authority and that nobody could bind him. On the contrary, it looks as though the Jamaican Senate can mandate the P.M. This is also new information to me.

GMAT coaching under able guidance is only half expensive and time-consuming as a self-study in the final reckoning

SC Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 06:41
surbhi1991 wrote:
why the answer is A and not B?

surbhi1991 And why do you think the answer is B, and not A, please elaborate - this makes us understand where the clarity is needed.
Moreover, for why "A and not B" please check the thread from the top.

Happy learning :thumbup:

The few, the fearless !

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 06:49
surbhi1991 wrote:
why the answer is A and not B?

Hi surbhi1991.

Given that there is nothing clearly grammatically incorrect in (B), you ask a great question.

Here is the sentence created via the use of (B).

The Jamaican Senate has determined that the prime minister is tasked with appointing thirteen members to its panel, while the opposition's leader can only appoint eight.

Because that sentence uses the indicative voice wording "is tasked," that sentence conveys that the Senate has figured out that the prime minister IS tasked with appointing thirteen members.

While that scenario is possible, it's not likely that the point of the sentence would be that the Senate has, say, investigated and figured out how the government works.

Here's the sentence created via the use of (A).

Because that sentence uses the subjunctive voice wording "be tasked," that sentence conveys that the Senate has, basically, made a command, the command that the prime minister be tasked with appointing thirteen members.

This scenario is much more likely than the one described by the sentence created via the use of (B).

Having said all that, I would add that this is not an official question, and choice (B) in this question is not quite as incorrect as an incorrect answers to official GMAT Sentence Correction questions generally are, as what the version created via the use of (B) conveys is, while unlikely, certainly not impossible.

Marty Murray
Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The Jamaican Senate has determined that the prime minister be tasked   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2019, 06:49

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

The Jamaican Senate has determined that the prime minister be tasked

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap