It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 05:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

7 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2011
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [7], given: 0

The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2011, 21:55
7
This post received
KUDOS
29
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (00:52) correct 56% (00:53) wrong based on 367 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have increased dramatically over the past several years, prompting major concern among local politicians.

(A) have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have increased

(B) have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have been increasing

(C) has become an ongoing threat because of drought and booming population density, has increased

(D) have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, has increased

(E) have become an ongoing threat because of drought and booming population density, has increased
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 25 Jun 2017, 09:18, edited 2 times in total.
Part of the sentence underlined. OA inserted in the Spoiler.

Kudos [?]: 35 [7], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2011, 22:58
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
bhagwatpriyanka wrote:
The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have increased dramatically over the past several years, prompting major concern among local politicians.

A. have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have increased
B. have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have been increasing
C. has become an ongoing threat because of drought and booming population density, has increased
D. have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, has increased
E. have become an ongoing threat because of drought and booming population density, has increased


The number of......singular and requires "has". So eliminate A and B

Which is modifying "wildfires". So needs "have" and eliminate C

Between D and E, E is correct (because of)

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2010
Posts: 30

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2011, 02:44
mbasp wrote:
bhagwatpriyanka wrote:
The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have increased dramatically over the past several years, prompting major concern among local politicians.

A. have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have increased
B. have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have been increasing
C. has become an ongoing threat because of drought and booming population density, has increased
D. have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, has increased
E. have become an ongoing threat because of drought and booming population density, has increased


The number of......singular and requires "has". So eliminate A and B

Which is modifying "wildfires". So needs "have" and eliminate C

Between D and E, E is correct (because of)


mbasp has nailed this one right . 'Wildfires' will require 'have' and 'the number' requires 'has' , the only possible choices left and D and E . 'because of' is usually preferred over 'due to' which gives us E
_________________

This time , its my time .

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1628

Kudos [?]: 1122 [3], given: 109

Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2011, 17:15
3
This post received
KUDOS
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
+1 E

"The number" is singular. A and B out.
"wildfires" is plural. C out.
"Due to" means "caused by" or "resulting from". It would change the meaning.
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1122 [3], given: 109

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Prep started for the n-th time
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 672

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 37

Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2011, 19:58
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
+1 for E.

First eliminator : "The number" is singular. So "has increased" is correct. Eliminate A and B.
Second eliminator: "wildfires" is plural, so the modifier phrase "which ....." should be plural. Eliminate C
Third eliminator: due is correct only if it can be replaced by "caused by".Because is more appropriate when a reason is given. Eliminate D

Hence Left with E

Crick

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 37

Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Getting strong now, I'm so strong now!!!
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 561

Kudos [?]: 711 [0], given: 80

Location: India
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2013, 11:42
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Subject/Verb agreement: subject-verb-agreement-159965.html
Questions on Subject/Verb agreement to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=131

_________________

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Kudos [?]: 711 [0], given: 80

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10125

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2015, 23:06
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Dec 2014
Posts: 85

Kudos [?]: 59 [3], given: 98

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge
Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2015, 14:10
3
This post received
KUDOS
bhagwatpriyanka wrote:
The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have increased dramatically over the past several years, prompting major concern among local politicians.

A. have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have increased
B. have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have been increasing
C. has become an ongoing threat because of drought and booming population density, has increased
D. have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, has increased
E. have become an ongoing threat because of drought and booming population density, has increased


The original sentence has subject verb agreement error
The number of acres = singular subject
have = plural verb
Hence (A) and (B) are out
C is out because it uses a singular verb 'has' for plural subject 'wildfires'
D is out because it incorrectly uses used noun modifier 'due by' to modify the verb 'have become'

Hence E = CORRECT ANSWER
_________________

Cheers!
-----------------------------
Please give kudos if you think it is worth it !

Kudos [?]: 59 [3], given: 98

Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2676

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 200

Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 21:16
i disagree with the comments above about "due to"
it clearly refers to threats.
threats DUE TO Noun
threats caused by noun and noun
perfectly fine.

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 200

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Feb 2016
Posts: 53

Kudos [?]: 20 [1], given: 26

Concentration: Other, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 00:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
Another poor question/answer.

The answer should be D).
Due to clearly modifies the multiple noun "threats. We could as well replace "due to" with "caused by and the sentence is correct.

Please change the answer to (D).

Kudos [?]: 20 [1], given: 26

Expert Post
11 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3198

Kudos [?]: 3515 [11], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 12:15
11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
maipenrai wrote:
Another poor question/answer.

The answer should be D).
Due to clearly modifies the multiple noun "threats. We could as well replace "due to" with "caused by and the sentence is correct.

Please change the answer to (D).


The difference between due to and because of is as follows:

Due to is an adjective and needs a noun to refer to.
Because of is an adverb and needs a verb to refer to.

The game was stopped because of rain. Correct - because of referring to verb was stopped.
The stoppage was due to rain. Correct - due to referring to noun stoppage.
The game was stopped due to rain. wrong! - due to cannot refer to verb was stopped.

Similarly,

Wildfires have become threat due to drought. Wrong !... due to cannot refer to verb have become.
Wildfires have become threat because of drought. Correct - because of referring to verb have become.

Hence D is wrong. The OA given is correct.

Kudos [?]: 3515 [11], given: 22

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Posts: 123

Kudos [?]: 77 [1], given: 198

WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 23:58
1
This post received
KUDOS
IMO E is correct.

Alternate method to check is by asking the Question "Why".

"Because of " always answer "Why" : Why the wildfires have become threat ? because of drought.. It correctly modifies "have become"

Another example : " The ongoing threat is due to drought". Here, due to modifies threat and the usage is correct.

Moreover, "due to" is often preceded by the verb "to be".

Sayantan : Please correct me if I am wrong.

Kudos [?]: 77 [1], given: 198

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3198

Kudos [?]: 3515 [1], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 13:10
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
aditi2013 wrote:
IMO E is correct.

Alternate method to check is by asking the Question "Why".

"Because of " always answer "Why" : Why the wildfires have become threat ? because of drought.. It correctly modifies "have become"

Another example : " The ongoing threat is due to drought". Here, due to modifies threat and the usage is correct.

Moreover, "due to" is often preceded by the verb "to be".

Sayantan : Please correct me if I am wrong.


A.
Yes, being an adjective "due to" normally follows a linking verb, one that joins a noun with its adjective.

The girl is beautiful.
The cake tastes good.
You look tired.

However the only linking verb that seems to go with the adjective "due to" is the verb "to be".
Correct: The stoppage was due to rain.
Wrong: The cake tastes due to the cream. (This sentence is not correct since "due to" does not modify the noun "cake", but the verb "tastes".)

B.
The usage of "due to" can also be associated with "why", though the framed question may sometimes be awkward:

Why was the stoppage? (awkward)
The stoppage was due to rain.

Why was the delay? (not so awkward)
The delay was due to traffic jam.

Kudos [?]: 3515 [1], given: 22

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2016
Posts: 103

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 31

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 05:51
metallicafan wrote:
+1 E

"The number" is singular. A and B out.
"wildfires" is plural. C out.
"Due to" means "caused by" or "resulting from". It would change the meaning.



"Wildfires have become an ongoing threat caused by drought and booming population density" ~ how is not correct?

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 31

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3198

Kudos [?]: 3515 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 23:12
shashanksagar wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
+1 E

"The number" is singular. A and B out.
"wildfires" is plural. C out.
"Due to" means "caused by" or "resulting from". It would change the meaning.



"Wildfires have become an ongoing threat caused by drought and booming population density" ~ how is not correct?


The sentence you mentioned is correct. However why the use of "due to " is wrong is explained in another post above:

the-number-of-acres-destroyed-by-wildfires-which-have-107562.html#p1684616

Kudos [?]: 3515 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2016
Posts: 103

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 31

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 23:29
sayantanc2k wrote:
shashanksagar wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
+1 E

"The number" is singular. A and B out.
"wildfires" is plural. C out.
"Due to" means "caused by" or "resulting from". It would change the meaning.



"Wildfires have become an ongoing threat caused by drought and booming population density" ~ how is not correct?


The sentence you mentioned is correct. However why the use of "due to " is wrong is explained in another post above:

the-number-of-acres-destroyed-by-wildfires-which-have-107562.html#p1684616

Thanks a lot.
Is the due to not referring to the noun threat? Or maybe my basics are weak.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 31

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3198

Kudos [?]: 3515 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 23:50
shashanksagar wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
shashanksagar wrote:


"Wildfires have become an ongoing threat caused by drought and booming population density" ~ how is not correct?


The sentence you mentioned is correct. However why the use of "due to " is wrong is explained in another post above:

the-number-of-acres-destroyed-by-wildfires-which-have-107562.html#p1684616

Thanks a lot.
Is the due to not referring to the noun threat? Or maybe my basics are weak.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk


The sentence conveys the meaning that the action (verb) "becoming" was caused by drought and booming population density. Hence " because of " is required. The sentence answers the question:

Why has it become?
NOT Why is the threat?

Kudos [?]: 3515 [0], given: 22

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Apr 2016
Posts: 197

Kudos [?]: 17 [1], given: 79

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 18:54
1
This post received
KUDOS
Here is something that I found for those who are scratching head with "due to" vs "because of"

[url]https://e-gmat.com/blog/gmat-verbal/sentence-correction/idioms/due-to-vs-because-of
[/url]

Very nice article that made it crystal clear!!

Kudos [?]: 17 [1], given: 79

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Posts: 105

Kudos [?]: 21 [1], given: 76

Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 07:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
I've started keeping error log of the questions that I solve. I noticed in SC, I answer questions related to 'number agreement' often Incorrectly.
Upon further analysis, I found I've difficulty finding the subject of sentence.

Example question where I struggled :

The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have increased dramatically over the past several years, prompting major concern among local politicians.

A. have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have increased
B. have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have been increasing
C. has become an ongoing threat because of drought and booming population density, has increased
D. have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, has increased
E. have become an ongoing threat because of drought and booming population density, has increased


what is the subject in above sentence, number of acres or wildfires.

Any suggestions or guidance would be most welcomed.
_________________

If my post was helpful, feel free to give kudos!

Kudos [?]: 21 [1], given: 76

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
User avatar
D
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 2766

Kudos [?]: 916 [1], given: 67

Location: India
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 07:47
1
This post received
KUDOS
sidoknowia wrote:
I've started keeping error log of the questions that I solve. I noticed in SC, I answer questions related to 'number agreement' often Incorrectly.
Upon further analysis, I found I've difficulty finding the subject of sentence.

Example question where I struggled :

The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have increased dramatically over the past several years, prompting major concern among local politicians.

A. have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have increased
B. have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have been increasing
C. has become an ongoing threat because of drought and booming population density, has increased
D. have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, has increased
E. have become an ongoing threat because of drought and booming population density, has increased


what is the subject in above sentence, number of acres or wildfires.

Any suggestions or guidance would be most welcomed.


Simple Rule :

THE Number -- Always Singular

A Number -- Always Plural.

So, here

The number of -- will have HAS and Not HAVE

Also, Which 'have' is for wildfires. Hence , plural.

I hope that makes sense.
_________________

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 916 [1], given: 67

Re: The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2016, 07:47

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 34 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoi

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.