GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 19:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 06:14
Expert's post
Top Contributor
"Enhance athletes performance" is wrong diction. It should be "athletes' performance" with an apostrophe. In addition, "them" refers to the programs rather than the athletes as already pointed out.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Re: The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 23:47
mikemcgarry wrote:
nahid78 wrote:
Hello. mikemcgarry,
Another one...
I was hesitating between C and E.
I couldn't find meaning differences between them, and picked C. As I found it concise.
Why is C wrong?

Thanks again.... and again... :)

Dear nahid78,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Here's the question with (C) & (E).

The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex where final tryouts are held for athletes representing the United States in the Olympics, is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for international competition.

C) are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation

E) are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them

Part of this is the parallelism and part of this is the idiom.

In the original, notice there are two actions
(1) enhancing athletes' performance
(2) their preparation
The prompt does not do a good job of presenting those two in parallel. Choice (E) does an excellent job of putting them in parallel, whereas (C) changes their relationship--in (C), the action of "enhancing" applies to both parts, "athletes' performance and their preparation." This is a small change to the meaning.

Also, when the verb "gear" is used metaphorically, it idiomatically takes the preposition "toward." The construction "geared toward" sounds natural, whereas the construction "geared to" sounds awkward. I want to emphasize that this is an idiom that appears relatively infrequently--one might take 100 GMATs in a row and never see a question involving this particular idiom.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Dear Mike,
I have a doubt in C. I think 'their' is properly referring to athletes here as possessive pronoun can refer to possessive noun. Please confirm.

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 17:27
anje29 wrote:
Dear Mike,
I have a doubt in C. I think 'their' is properly referring to athletes here as possessive pronoun can refer to possessive noun. Please confirm.

Dear anje29,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Yes, the possessive pronoun "their" has, as its antecedent, the possessive noun "athletes'." Usually, possessive nouns can't be antecedents, but they can be antecedents of possessive pronouns.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

1 KUDOS received
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 07:48
This post received
KUDOS
The sports medicine programs of the Olympic Training Centre is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for international competition.

a) ....
b) is geared to enhance performance of athletes and to prepare them.
c) are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation.
d) are geared toward the enhancement of athletes' performance and toward preparing them.
e) are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 12:57
I am very confused.
There is a rule that complex and simple gerund phrases are never parallel.

I thought that 'enhancing the performance' is a complex gerund, and 'preparing them' is a simple form of it. Isn't that true?

Can you explain please?
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S
The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 14:53
maria14ac wrote:
I am very confused.
There is a rule that complex and simple gerund phrases are never parallel.

I thought that 'enhancing the performance' is a complex gerund, and 'preparing them' is a simple form of it. Isn't that true?

Can you explain please?

Hello maria14ac,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

The very basic principle of parallelism is that those elements make a parallel list that has the same role in a sentence.

Now, the rule says that a conventional noun entity CANNOT be parallel to a verb-ing form of the noun (commonly known as gerund). The reason is that a conventional noun denotes a person, place, or thing. But a gerund denotes an action.

However, this is not the case we find in Choice E of this official sentence.

Choice E says: XYZ are geared toward
    enhancing the performance of athletes and
    preparing them for international competition

Both the entities are gerunds and hence, are parallel. There being gerunds is enough to make them parallel.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2017, 14:53

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap