GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jan 2019, 14:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

The tropical leaf-cutter, or attine, ant provides a remarkable example

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE: General Management (Other)
The tropical leaf-cutter, or attine, ant provides a remarkable example  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Jan 2019, 07:19
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 32 sessions

41% (03:50) correct 59% (02:46) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

based on 32 sessions

34% (01:35) correct 66% (01:40) wrong

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

based on 28 sessions

68% (01:09) correct 32% (01:14) wrong

Question 4
A
B
C
D
E

based on 23 sessions

43% (01:12) correct 57% (01:10) wrong

The tropical leaf-cutter, or attine, ant provides a remarkable example of complex symbiosis involving several species. The ants cultivate a fungus in underground caverns to serve as a source of food. DNA analysis reveals that the fungi in attine gardens around the world are clones of a single source. The ants do not allow their fungus crop to develop fruiting bodies, the means by which plants engage in sexual reproduction. Instead, a queen ant starting a new nest takes a sample of the fungus from the old nest to start the new garden, spreading the fungus vegetatively, or asexually.
For many years, the phenomenon of sexual reproduction puzzled biologists, as it passes only half of the parents’ genes to the succeeding generation and requires a more complex mechanism than does asexual reproduction. What benefit of sexual reproduction would outweigh these limitations? One likely answer is that it provides a defense against parasitic attack. Simple parasites, such as bacteria or molds, mutate rapidly and pose a challengeto other species developing defense mechanisms. The rapid evolution of the attacking species provides an advantage in this biological arms race. Sexual reproduction allows the more complex species to shuffle its genes between generations and, as a result, evolve quickly enough to match the parasites’ mutations.
A clonal monoculture, such as that of the attine, should be highly susceptible to parasites, yet preliminary research suggested no evidence of such a problem in the ants’ gardens. More comprehensive studies showed that the Escovopsis mold, a parasite related to the “green mold” known to commercial mushroom farmers, is present in the ants’ crops and poses a serious threat to the fungus. However, the attine ants provide the defense mechanism lacking in the fungus’s asexual reproduction by means of a bacterium that grows in patches on their skin. This actinomycete bacterium produces an antibiotic used to control the mold and limit its destructive effects on the ants’ food source.
Q1). The phrase “clonal monoculture” refers to which of the following?
A)The Escovopsis mold
B)A species of leaf-cutter ant
C)Sexual reproduction
D)A fungus
E)An antibiotic bacterium

Q2). Which of the following can be most reasonably inferred from the passage?
A)The fruiting bodies found on numerous fungi are a means of vegetative reproduction.
B)Plants that rely on sexual reproduction are highly susceptible to parasitic attack by bacteria and molds.
C)Sexual reproduction is an inefficient method for transmitting a parent’s genes to its offspring.
D)The bacterium found on patches of green mold produces an antibiotic substance used by commercial mushroom farmers.
E)Parasitic bacteria use sexual reproduction as a means to achieve rapid mutation.

Q3). The author describes the interaction between a parasite and a sexually reproducing organism as an “arms race” (line 22) in order to
A)emphasize the aggressive nature of the parasitic organism
B)warn of the dangers of biological weapons
C)underscore the need for the attine ants to defend their gardens
D)point out the devastating effects of the Escovopsis mold
E)depict the result of rapid evolution by both organisms

Q4). The passage suggests which of the following about the fungus grown by the attine ants?
A)By shuffling its genes, it is able to mutate rapidly in response to parasitic threats.
B)Due to its asexual reproduction, it is susceptible to attack by the actinomycete bacterium.
C)It could potentially engage in sexual reproduction.
D)It is closely related to the crops grown by commercial mushroom farmers.
E)Without the care of the attine ants, it would quickly become extinct.

Hit the the kudos button if you like the post

Verbal Question Banks:-
1.Collection of ALL 775 Verbal GMATPREP Questions 2.Aristotle RC-99 The Definitive RC Guide 3.Aristotle SC Grail 4.Vocabulary List 5.Kaplan 800 Advance Studies

MBA Resources:-
1.Top 25 US MBA Application Fees 2018-2019 2.Top 20 US MBA Tuition Fees 2018-2019

Thanks

Originally posted by GmatWizard on 27 Dec 2018, 07:08.
Last edited by Gladiator59 on 13 Jan 2019, 07:19, edited 2 times in total.
Edited OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Re: The tropical leaf-cutter, or attine, ant provides a remarkable example  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 07:14
Hey guys workout u1983 Gladiator59
This is a 700 level passage from Princeton Review, but I don't have the Official Answers can you'll please help me out with this passage.

1.Collection of ALL 775 Verbal GMATPREP Questions 2.Aristotle RC-99 The Definitive RC Guide 3.Aristotle SC Grail 4.Vocabulary List 5.Kaplan 800 Advance Studies

1.Top 25 US MBA Application Fees 2018-2019 2.Top 20 US MBA Tuition Fees 2018-2019

Thanks

Senior PS Moderator
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The tropical leaf-cutter, or attine, ant provides a remarkable example  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 07:45
I think the correct answers sequence should be D A E C.

Good passage but I doubt whether it is 700 level.

Regards,
Gladi

Regards,
Gladi

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 07:52
Gladiator59 wrote:
I think the correct answers sequence should be D A E C.

Good passage but I doubt whether it is 700 level.

Regards,
Gladi

Thanks a lot.The book says it's supposed to be a difficult passage, but you never know I'm not sure how good are Princeton Review passages.

Thanks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 07:55
+1 kudos to the posts containing answer explanations of all questions

Thanks

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 16:31
I thought the passage was pretty interesting and understood it after one read, but still only got 2/4 correct...

Could someone explain 2 and 3?

How is 2 possible A? In the first paragraph it says "The ants do not allow their fungus crop to develop fruiting bodies, the means by which plants engage in sexual reproduction." Hence the fruiting bodies are for sexual reproduction. In the last sentence it also says "produce vegetatively, or asexually". Why does A consider the fruiting bodies to be a form of asexual reproduction when it clearly says it is sexual. For reference I chose C because in the 2nd paragraph it says "he phenomenon of sexual reproduction puzzled biologists, as it passes only half of the parents’ genes to the succeeding generation and requires a more complex mechanism than does asexual reproduction." It can be inferred here that sexual reproduction is inefficient...

For 3: I chose A, but was stuck between A and E. I can see why E is correct but I cannot see why A is incorrect.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 09:08
Got 4/4 correct in 10 min total including 3:30 min to read the passage!

Passage Map:

1) Ant asexually produce fungus
2) Threat of parasite attack & benefit of sexual reproduction
3) Ant's solution to prevent parasite attack on their food: fungus

Most Comprehensive Article on How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT (NEW)
Verb Tenses Simplified

If you found my post useful, KUDOS are much appreciated. Giving Kudos is a great way to thank and motivate contributors, without costing you anything.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 05:00
Hi Gladiator59 , can you please explain the option A in question 2. My reasoning is same as that of kchen1994.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior PS Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 07:18
Hi Mudit27021988, thanks for tagging me.

I must have missed the initial post by kchen1994 which explains nicely why Q2 should be (C) and not (A).
I agree that fruiting bodies are for sexual reproduction and hence option (A) is a classic 180 opposite example. Also, since it has puzzled scientists why sexual reproduction is preferred despite its "limitations" - it is also clear that it is not an efficient way of reproduction.

OA for Q2 has been changed to (C).

+1 kudos to both for pointing this out. :-)

Keep it up!

Regards,
Gladi

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 08:17
Got 2 incorrect.But awesome passage this!!!

Just to confirm once, is the answer to Q4) C because "The ants do not allow their fungus crop to develop fruiting bodies, the means by which plants engage in sexual reproduction"..??
Senior PS Moderator
P
The tropical leaf-cutter, or attine, ant provides a remarkable example  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Jan 2019, 17:48
Precisely. The ants are said to not allow fruiting bodies to grow and hence prevent sexual reproduction. So there is a potential for sexual reproduction if for some reason the ants would stop "harvesting" the fungus. That's why (C) fits given its mild wording - "potential" being mild suggestion...

Another close option could be (E) "without the ants it would quickly become extinct" because the passage ends with this note.
However,I felt this option to be extreme given that the fungus was engaging in asexual reproduction because of the ants in the first place - in the absence of ants it would just start growing fruiting bodies and fall in the ambit of protection offered by sexual reproduction. Also, the wording on this option is extreme "quickly extinct" -we can only infer that there would be destruction of the fungus but whether it leads to quick extinction is open ended.

Hope this helps. I'd like to know your thoughts on this.

redskull1 wrote:
Got 2 incorrect.But awesome passage this!!!

Just to confirm once, is the answer to Q4) C because "The ants do not allow their fungus crop to develop fruiting bodies, the means by which plants engage in sexual reproduction"..??

Posted from my mobile device

Regards,
Gladi

Originally posted by Gladiator59 on 13 Jan 2019, 08:43.
Last edited by adkikani on 13 Jan 2019, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
edited typo
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 09:21
As you rightly said,I think "quickly" gives it up.....
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The tropical leaf-cutter, or attine, ant provides a remarkable example &nbs [#permalink] 13 Jan 2019, 09:21

The tropical leaf-cutter, or attine, ant provides a remarkable example

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap