GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 19:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The vertex of a parallelogram are (1, 0), (3, 0), (1, 1) and (3, 1)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Cambridge, HEC '15
The vertex of a parallelogram are (1, 0), (3, 0), (1, 1) and (3, 1) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Jun 2016, 21:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

67% (01:53) correct 33% (02:23) wrong based on 124 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The vertex of a parallelogram are (1, 0), (3, 0), (1, 1) and (3, 1) respectively. If line L passes through the origin and divided the parallelogram into two identical quadrilaterals, what is the slope of line L?

A. 1/2
B. 2
C. 1/4
D. 3
E. 3/4

Hi, pls help with the solution of the above question. I find co-ordinate geometry very confusing. Are there some quick tips that you may recommend me to follow - when such questions appears in test?

Originally posted by amitasagar23 on 30 Dec 2013, 07:05.
Last edited by Bunuel on 07 Jun 2016, 21:59, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
8 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Re: The vertex of a parallelogram are (1, 0), (3, 0), (1, 1) and (3, 1) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 01:32
amitasagar23 wrote:
The vertex of a parallelogram are (1, 0), (3, 0), (1, 1) and (3, 1) respectively. If line L passes through the origin and divided the parallelogram into two identical quadrilaterals, what is the slope of line L?

A. 1/2
B. 2
C. 1/4
D. 3
E. 3/4

Hi, pls help with the solution of the above question. I find co-ordinate geometry very confusing. Are there some quick tips that you may recommend me to follow - when such questions appears in test?

Hi,

Please check below attached approach
Attachments

File comment: Different approach
IMG_1433.JPG
IMG_1433.JPG [ 719.49 KiB | Viewed 4637 times ]

- Sachin

-If you like my explanation then please click "Kudos"

General Discussion
6 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Premium Member
Re: The vertex of a parallelogram are (1, 0), (3, 0), (1, 1) and (3, 1) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2013, 07:28
First, quickly draw an xy graph and draw the rectangle.

Look at the answer choices. You should see that B and D are immediately out. Slopes of 2 and 3 (or y = 2x and y = 3x) will miss the rectangle completely. Visually, this should take a second.

Now let's try answer choice A of slope 1/2 (y = .5x). It's the middle of 1/4 and 3/4. If the line has a slope of .5, then it must go through points (1, 0.5) and (2, 1) through the rectangle. Visualize that line and see where it goes through on the rectangle. Clearly, this doesn't divide the rectangle in half like we wanted, so answer choice A is out.

Answer choice E is out as well, since it's greater than 1/2. We need a smaller slope.

So at this point, I would put down answer choice C. But let's verify anyway. Slope 1/4 is the same as y = .25x, and it should be a line going through (2, 0.5). Since this is the center of the rectangle, it makes sense this would be the answer.

C it is!

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2013, 07:54
amitasagar23 wrote:

A. 1/2
B. 2
C. 1/4
D. 3
E. 3/4

Theory on Coordinate Geometry: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

All DS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=41
All PS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=62

You also might find helpful the links in my signature.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2014, 08:32
farful wrote:
First, quickly draw an xy graph and draw the rectangle.

Look at the answer choices. You should see that B and D are immediately out. Slopes of 2 and 3 (or y = 2x and y = 3x) will miss the rectangle completely. Visually, this should take a second.

Now let's try answer choice A of slope 1/2 (y = .5x). It's the middle of 1/4 and 3/4. If the line has a slope of .5, then it must go through points (1, 0.5) and (2, 1) through the rectangle. Visualize that line and see where it goes through on the rectangle. Clearly, this doesn't divide the rectangle in half like we wanted, so answer choice A is out.

Answer choice E is out as well, since it's greater than 1/2. We need a smaller slope.

So at this point, I would put down answer choice C. But let's verify anyway. Slope 1/4 is the same as y = .25x, and it should be a line going through (2, 0.5). Since this is the center of the rectangle, it makes sense this would be the answer.

C it is!

Another way to solve this question is to imagine a line going through (0, 0) and (3, 1), let it be line L.
Now for a line to divide the parallelogram into equal quadrilaterals, it must have a slope less than that of line L but greater than 0.
The slope of line L is 1/3, hence the answer must be less than 1/3 and greater than 0. Only 1/4 fits the bill.

Hence C is is correct answer.

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Aug 2015, 18:32
Here's an alternative way to reach the answer using the equation for a line: \(y-y_1 = m(x-x_1)\)

By visualizing the line you can see that in order to divide the rectangle evenly it needs to intersect the rectangle's right side (i.e. it enters on the left and leaves on the right).

Let t be the y-value of the line at x = 1. Using this definition, the y-value at x=3 must be 1-t, since the height of the rectangle is 1. Note that if it weren't 1-t, the division of the rectangle would not be even.

This gives two points on the line: (1,t) and (3,1-t). So we have two equations for the same line:

(1) \(y-t = m(x-1)\) [using the point (1,t) ]
(2) \(y-(1-t) = m(x-3)\) [for the same line using the point (3, 1-t) ]

Since this is the same line, we can solve for m, the slope. Solving for t in (1) gives \(t = y-m(x-1)\)

Substituting this value of t in (2) gives:

\(y-(1-(y-m(x-1))) = m(x-3)\)
\(y-1+y-m(x-1)=m(x-3)\)
\(2y-1=m(x-3)+m(x-1)\)
\(2y-1=m((x-3)+(x-1))\)
\(\frac{(2y-1)}{((x-3)+(x-1))}=m\)

Since the origin is on the line, plug in x=0, y=0:

\(\frac{-1}{(-3-1)}=m =\frac{1}{4}\)

Note that plugging in x = y = 0 before the algebra would work as well, but I included the algebra because it's more illustrative.

Originally posted by doriangroove on 16 Aug 2015, 09:56.
Last edited by doriangroove on 16 Aug 2015, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 17:43
amitasagar23 wrote:

A. 1/2
B. 2
C. 1/4
D. 3
E. 3/4

Quickest method:

Attached image is borrowed from farful 's post above.

Added the line BE (the required line that divides the given parallelogram into 2 identical quadrilaterals).

Careful observation reveals that slope of the diagonal AD = (1-0)/(3-1) = 0.5. Thus the slope of line BE should be < slope of AD. Only option C is < 0.5 and is thus the correct answer.
Attachments

2015-08-16_20-38-38.jpg
2015-08-16_20-38-38.jpg [ 11.03 KiB | Viewed 3888 times ]

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2016, 06:44
ruchi857 wrote:
The vertex of a parallelogram are (1,0); (3,0); (1,1); (3,1), respectively. If line L passes through the origin and divided the parallelogram into two identical quadrilaterals, what is the slope of line L?

A. 1/2
B. 2
C. 1/4
D. 3
E. 3/4

Hi,

Merging topics..
Please follow proper guidelines for post.. SEARCH beforr you post and give proper TOPIC name

your answer does not seem to be correct..
ans should be C. 1/4..
You can draw the quadrilateral and evevn the coord suggest that it is a rectangle...
the height of rectangle is 1 and length is 2...
1)this line passing through origin cuts the left side at say y... coord = (1,y)..
SLOPE with origin (0,0) = \(\frac{y-0}{1-0} = y\)
2)for the two quad to be similar, the line should cut the right side at y units below the upper vertex.. so coord = ( 3, 1-y)...
SLOPE = \(\frac{1-y-0}{3-0} = \frac{1-y}{3}..\)

but bothslopes should be SAME..
\(y = \frac{1-y}{3} .............3y = 1-y..........y = \frac{1}{4}....\)
so slope = y = 1/4
so sl

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2016, 06:52
I tried and i am getting the answer as 1/4 (option C). Are you sure about the OA??

(Please refer the rough figure attached)
As we can see, the line L passes from below the point (3,1). Now, had the line passed through (3,1) the slope would have been 1/3. (line passing through (0,0) and (3,1)). Since our line L is passing from below (3,1) the slope has to be less than 1/3.

The only option less than 1/3 is option C 1/4.

Option C
Attachments

Rectangle-slope.jpg
Rectangle-slope.jpg [ 1.64 MiB | Viewed 3324 times ]

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2016, 02:28
amitasagar23 wrote:

A. 1/2
B. 2
C. 1/4
D. 3
E. 3/4

A good understanding of what slope means helps you solve this question in seconds. Draw out the parallelogram and you see that it is a rectangle with base at the x axis between 1 and 3. You want to split the rectangle into identical quads using line L passing through centre. So it will look like the diagram drawn by Engr2012 here: the-vertex-of-a-parallelogram-are-1-0-3-0-1-1-and-218118.html#p1561948

Now use the concept of slope, say the slope of line is n - the y co-ordinate increases by n every time the x co-ordinate increases by 1.
When the line moves from 0 to 1 x co-ordinate, its y co-ordinate increases by "n" (so AB is n). When it moves from x co-ordinate 1 to 3, y co-ordinate will increase by 2n. To make the quads identical, DE should be n too.
Hence the side of length 1 is split into n + 2n + n.
This means n = 0.25 = 1/4

Answer (C)

A discussion on slope: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2016/04 ... line-gmat/

Karishma
Private Tutor for GMAT

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2018, 11:56
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: The vertex of a parallelogram are (1, 0), (3, 0), (1, 1) and (3, 1)   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2018, 11:56

The vertex of a parallelogram are (1, 0), (3, 0), (1, 1) and (3, 1)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap