It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 17:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

VERY URGENT Thinking about rescheduling my GMAT date? Is it good idea?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 73

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
VERY URGENT Thinking about rescheduling my GMAT date? Is it good idea? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 21:31
Hi all,

I have my GMAT test scheduled on 26th Sept and I'm in double minds about either to giving it/reschedule it.Need help?

Points that I'm considering while making this decision:
1. I'm scoring 620-640 in GMAT prep tests (Q 49+ but V 26-28)
2. I had to break my study schedule for last 4 days due to some personal errand that I had to attend
3. I'm not still feeling confident after practicing Verbal from Magoosh(Not blaming anyone here) and OG, plus rarely manage to attempt 30+ questions in my Verbal part of Practice test attempts
4. I need a score of 710+ for the schools I want to apply to, having an Indian IT profile(3 yr Exp)

What should be a good duration for the test to be given, considering my situation and prep scores? How should I plan/work about, during the duration?
Early Suggestions will be precious, as the last day for taking a stand(rescheduling) will be today(don't wanna risk it till tomorrow)

Please hit kudos, if you like this post
The fact that you aren't where you want to be, should be enough motivation.

Magoosh Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3412 [1], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: VERY URGENT Thinking about rescheduling my GMAT date? Is it good idea? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 22:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi pun91,

Based on what you have described, you are not likely to score 710+ in 9 days, so you should pay the $50 fee and push back your Test Date. Assuming that these practice CAT results are accurate, you will likely need at least another 1-2 months of consistent, guided study to hit your score goal. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT ToolKit User
VERY URGENT Thinking about rescheduling my GMAT date? Is it good idea? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 23:13
Studies:
1) How long have you studied?

I have been preparing for GMAT from July this year

2) What study materials have you used so far?

Magoosh Premium and OG

3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

GMATprep1 630(48,26) taken in Sept W1
GMATprep2 630(49,25) taken in Sept W2
Verbal Sections(Manhattan Tests): 27

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

I am planning to apply in 2018

5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

ISB, Ross

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17369 [0], given: 232

Re: VERY URGENT Thinking about rescheduling my GMAT date? Is it good idea? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 02:28
pun91 wrote:
Hi all,

I have my GMAT test scheduled on 26th Sept and I'm in double minds about either to giving it/reschedule it.Need help?

Points that I'm considering while making this decision:
1. I'm scoring 620-640 in GMAT prep tests (Q 49+ but V 26-28)
2. I had to break my study schedule for last 4 days due to some personal errand that I had to attend
3. I'm not still feeling confident after practicing Verbal from Magoosh(Not blaming anyone here) and OG, plus rarely manage to attempt 30+ questions in my Verbal part of Practice test attempts
4. I need a score of 710+ for the schools I want to apply to, having an Indian IT profile(3 yr Exp)

What should be a good duration for the test to be given, considering my situation and prep scores? How should I plan/work about, during the duration?
Early Suggestions will be precious, as the last day for taking a stand(rescheduling) will be today(don't wanna risk it till tomorrow)

Unfortunately, with a current practice score of 620-640, it is very unlikely that you will hit 710+ in your test in a week. You have two options:
1. Postpone the test and work hard on Verbal. If you are unable to attempt about 10 questions, you know that you really need to increase your speed. You probably need to look at some verbal strategies to handle the questions more effectively. I can help you with an SC video here: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/
2. Take the test on 26th as a practice run. If finances are not a problem, don't cancel the test but do cancel the score until and unless you get something close to your target score. If you cancel the score, it will not appear on your score report subsequently and hence will have no repercussions.

As for how to study further, you have to focus on Verbal (while continuing Quant practice). I would suggest you to check out our blog: https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/category/gmat/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17369 [0], given: 232

Top Contributor
SVP
SVP
S

Kudos [?]: 1601 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 10:49
Top Contributor
Really depends on the type of person you are.

For some people, having that scheduled date will push them to really get things into high gear. That sense of urgency can create good results.

On the other hand, you need to evaluate how realistically you will be able to get through the material - and that largely depends on your immediate schedule.

If you do decide delay - then commit yourself to not reschedule a second time -- because then you get into a snowball effect.

So evaluate your personal situation and choose whichever option is best for your particular situation.

As you study, you may be interested in this online question bank we provide: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

All questions themselves are free with a free account. Paid membership is required for video explanations.

Once you figure out your test date - allocate time to go through each of your resources as well as time to review.

www.gmatpill.com

Kudos [?]: 1601 [0], given: 8

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 12:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi pun91,

With a Verbal Scaled Score in the V25-V27 range, you're losing serious points in at least 2 of the 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR). Since the bulk of the missing points that you're looking for are going to be found in the Verbal section, you're going to have to make some significant improvements to how you handle that section of the Test - and all of that training will take some time. If you're not planning to apply to Business School until 2018 though, then you have lots of potential study time - so pushing back your Test Date makes sense (and a Test Date in mid-November or late-November would make sense).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 21:42
Thanks, Everyone, Your advice was precious. :-)

Re: VERY URGENT Thinking about rescheduling my GMAT date? Is it good idea?   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2017, 21:42

VERY URGENT Thinking about rescheduling my GMAT date? Is it good idea?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap