GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 10:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

To start preparation for GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
To start preparation for GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2019, 09:40
Dear Experts,
I would like to have your expert advice regarding my planning for GMAT preparation. I have almost 11 years of work experience and working as product manager presently with a MNC. I know as next step to go in the management and be successful either I should have the MBA from the esteemed institution to jump in my career for 5 years in fast track and be ready with competencies required for the management.

So my objective is clear for doing the executive MBA.

Now regarding the preparation, I had no connection with the quants, verbal preparation after the collage placement. So almost 11 years therefore you can consider me at level 1 in the scale 1-10 now.So I have to start the preparation from scratch.

My strength are fast grasping of concept and logical thinking so if someone explain me the concept so that fixed in my mind completely therefore if i get some very good tutor who explain the concept clearly so I am very good student to follow and learn fast.

Negative point from my side that I am very proactive guy to prepare and follow the study plan by myself but very good if I get some friends with me in preparation. I have never done the preparation with online study material so not sure how it goes.

So I told you everything about me and would like your opinion on the following:
1. If I can crack the GMAT exam with the above mentioned attitude
2. If not so what I must have to understand and change
3. What will be the best preparation way for me?

Note: Presently I am working outside India.

Waiting for your response.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2019, 09:44
Rishabh2019

please check below link for the study plan
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-p ... ml?fl=menu
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: To start preparation for GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2019, 11:21
Quant section in the GMAT does not test high-level math concepts and therefore you do not necessarily need to put in a lot of study hours; instead, you should focus on practicing as many questions as you can. Most of the topics are limited to high school mathematics. That said, it is of prime importance that you have concept clarity. I would recommend that you enroll in an online course. Verbal, on the other hand, might require more time.

Given your busy schedule, I would recommend that you sign up for an online course that offers both Quant and Verbal coaching. Personally, I highly recommend EMPOWERgmat. The course covers concepts very effectively and offers some of the best strategies for both Quant, and Verbal, and is one of the main reasons I have comfortably score 700+ in all practices tests. With a disciplined preparation of 3 months, you can get a 650-700 score, to be honest. All the best!

New to GMAT Club or overwhelmed with so many resources? Follow the GMAT Club Study Plan!
Not happy with your GMAT score? Retaking GMAT Strategies!
VP
VP
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2019, 12:08
Hi Rishabh2019
The following materials definitely will help you for the quant section!
For Quant:
You can choose any one from below. They're good enough.
1/ Target Test prep click here
2/ Wizako click here
3/ GMAT Quantum click here
4/ EmpowerGMAT click here
5/ MathRevolution click here

and.....
click on ULTIMATE GMAT QUANTITATIVE MEGATHREAD posted by bunuel.
All the best for your study.
Thanks__

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2019, 18:30
Hi Rishabh2019,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) Which Schools would you like to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2019, 11:32
Hi Rishabh2019,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Since you are just starting out, you should first familiarize yourself with the GMAT and then take an official GMAT practice exam. Once you take that practice exam, you will get a better sense of your starting point as well as what you will have to accomplish to reach the finish line.

Regarding how to move forward, while I understand your desire to work alongside other GMAT test-takers or work with a GMAT tutor, you must realize that a large majority of your test prep will be done on your own. Thus, you will need dig deep and find the motivation you need to also commit solo self-study, OK? A great way to stay motivated when self-studying is to use an online self-study course. Most self-study courses provide a detailed study plan, so your studying stays organized and focused. Take a look at the success stories of past GMAT students as well as reviews of various GMAT prep courses to see what prep materials have worked for other test-takers.

You also may find it helpful to read the following article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2019, 05:33
Hi Rishabh2019,

It is absolutely fine if you have been out of touch with quant or verbal for some time now. GMAT Verbal is not all about grammar rules. Similarly, GMAT Quant is not all about formula and tricks. It will test you on a few core skills and logical thinking ability. As you are already good at logical thinking it should work in your advantage.

See how Mayank aced GMAT even after he lost touch with academics. Diligent planning and execution led him to get admits from UC Berkeley HAAS part time EWMBA program and Booth's Evening MBA program

It is also a good thing to start from scratch. It will save you the unlearning part that may be required for someone who has not been learning it the right way earlier.

I understand you have concerns regarding the online study material. Many students have found online courses to be very effective and less time consuming than private tutoring. You can go through the reviews on GMAT Club to understand the same. An interactive course will help you in staying engaged with the course and motivate you to come back to studies every day, even in the absence of a study group.

I have shared few free resources towards the end of this article so that you understand for yourself if an online course would suit you.

Let us now look at what is the best approach to tackle the test.

What does it take to ace GMAT?

Consider GMAT as a project where you need to first plan it out well and then take one step at a time. I have listed out the steps below,

1. Create a plan

This is the first and most important step of your preparation. Using the Personalized Study Planner tool you can create a plan that is personalized to your starting score, target score, strengths and weaknesses.

You need not worry if you do not now your precise starting levels yet. The tool estimates the same and gives you a plan which can be refined later. Learn how you a first-time test taker can reach from a 590 to 710 using the Personalised Study Planner.

The key takeaways from the tool are,
    1. Clear milestones (target percentiles) for each sub-section tailored to your strengths, and weaknesses
    2. Estimate of the overall time required to reach your target score and a tentative GMAT date
    3. The sequence of study and an estimate of the time required for acing each sub-section

The image below shows how your plan would look like. You can edit the sequence of study, study hours, off days etc. as per your requirement.

2. Execute the plan

Planning is only half the work done. You need to stick to the plan and execute it diligently. I am sharing some of the free resources to get you started with preparation. You can get access to a lot more of these videos and practice questions once you sign up for the Free Trial.

If you need further help you can reach out to us at acethegmat@e-gmat.com.

Regards,
Zinnia
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2019, 05:50
Rishabh2019 wrote:
Dear Experts,
I would like to have your expert advice regarding my planning for GMAT preparation. I have almost 11 years of work experience and working as product manager presently with a MNC. I know as next step to go in the management and be successful either I should have the MBA from the esteemed institution to jump in my career for 5 years in fast track and be ready with competencies required for the management.

So my objective is clear for doing the executive MBA.

Now regarding the preparation, I had no connection with the quants, verbal preparation after the collage placement. So almost 11 years therefore you can consider me at level 1 in the scale 1-10 now.So I have to start the preparation from scratch.

My strength are fast grasping of concept and logical thinking so if someone explain me the concept so that fixed in my mind completely therefore if i get some very good tutor who explain the concept clearly so I am very good student to follow and learn fast.

Negative point from my side that I am very proactive guy to prepare and follow the study plan by myself but very good if I get some friends with me in preparation. I have never done the preparation with online study material so not sure how it goes.

So I told you everything about me and would like your opinion on the following:
1. If I can crack the GMAT exam with the above mentioned attitude
2. If not so what I must have to understand and change
3. What will be the best preparation way for me?

Note: Presently I am working outside India.

Waiting for your response.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Rishabh2019,

Welcome to GMATCLUB. You should study for around 3-4 months to achieve your score. You should start by taking a GMAT Mock once. You can then now know your weaknesses and can work on them. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for that period, you are sure to achieve your goal. I think you need to solidify you base and adopt a proper technique to answer the questions. I believe you may benefit from taking a GMATPREP course. If you are willing, there are some great GMAT prep companies that can help you with your preparation.

In order to make an informed decision I would highly encourage you to go to their websites and try on their free trial and decide for yourself which one do you like better. You try out free access to EmpowerGMAT, Magoosh and TTP as they have great reviews on GMATCLUB.

If you are looking for a good course in verbal, I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you to purchase GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice.

Lastly, you can check out a very interesting article by Mike McGarry from Magoosh detailing a 3 month study plan

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... -students/. You will find it very helpful as it gives out a study plan as per your needs.

Hope this helps. All the best.
Re: To start preparation for GMAT   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2019, 05:50

To start preparation for GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k