It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 07:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

TOEFL Debrief - 120/120

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [3], given: 11

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.6
WE: Accounting (Consumer Products)
TOEFL Debrief - 120/120 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2017, 06:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All,

Sharing a debrief of how I got 120 on the TOEFL to help address issues if any that others may face. I had to schedule the exam last minute as one of the schools insisted. I had no time to prepare. I got a slot for a few days later and went in blind, here are a few tips:

1) I don't drive and I have no friends who have cars in the city where I live. The morning of the test I found that Uber does not service the area where the test center is. Luckily Ola (I'm in India) was available, else I don't really know what would have happened - PLAN AHEAD - see where the test center is, figure out transport, don't take any chances.
2) Pls carry enough food. I only took 2 granola bars which I ended up eating before the test, was really hungry and irritable during the break and post break session.
3) Plan before-hand by calling the schools and checking - I left it for the last moment and landed myself in a mess, also had to pay a USD 40 late fee for late registration.
4) Try and take TOEFL after the GMAT. GMAT verbal prep really helps with the reading and listening sections. Even AWA prep (whatever little you do) helps in the written section.
5) I am not a native speaker and I have an Indian accent, I stuttered during the test out of nervousness because I was completely unprepared - 3 takeaways:
a) Practice the speaking portion
b) Use big words - it helps, I was really scared about my verbal performance because I stuttered but I guess the use of some good-ish vocabulary helped mitigate some of the damage my stuttering did.
c) Familiarize yourself with the speaking section structure and expected response structure - All I could do was watch the free videos posted by NoteFull - it REALLY helped.
6) Take notes during the listening section - if you are not listening and transcribing, your mind may drift away causing you to tune out because it is a long-ish and tiring test.
7) Writing section again - just go through the question structure - I used the Notefull free videos.
8) I had no time to plan or research but some people say the IELTS is a better test - pls do your research beforehand.

Any queries pls feel free to PM.

Kudos [?]: 21 [3], given: 11

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 29

Re: TOEFL Debrief - 120/120 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 23:20
Congratulations on a perfect score! Are you suggesting to watch videos from NoteFull youtube account? I took TOEFL in Jan 2015 but decided not to apply to B-school until now. Scored a 109 with zero prep but the validity has expired and will have to take it again. Such a shame that the Test has only 2 years validity and there is no way to extend it. Sucks that the test is meant for non-native speakers of English, most of whom are from poor countries. :mad: Will have to shelve a hefty sum to take the test again. Planning to take it after GMAT and break the 110 barrier.

+1 Kudos Please if you found my post helpful. Good luck for the GMAT!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.6
WE: Accounting (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 00:01
19W wrote:
Congratulations on a perfect score! Are you suggesting to watch videos from NoteFull youtube account? I took TOEFL in Jan 2015 but decided not to apply to B-school until now. Scored a 109 with zero prep but the validity has expired and will have to take it again. Such a shame that the Test has only 2 years validity and there is no way to extend it. Sucks that the test is meant for non-native speakers of English, most of whom are from poor countries. :mad: Will have to shelve a hefty sum to take the test again. Planning to take it after GMAT and break the 110 barrier.

Yes exactly, the NoteFull videos on youtube. All the best.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 11

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 00:17
kmwantstogoschool wrote:
19W wrote:

Yes exactly, the NoteFull videos on youtube. All the best.

Thanks will watch them before I take the test.

+1 Kudos Please if you found my post helpful. Good luck for the GMAT!

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9292 [1], given: 1169

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 02:14
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor

Kudos [?]: 9292 [1], given: 1169

Re: TOEFL Debrief - 120/120   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2017, 02:14

TOEFL Debrief - 120/120

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: carcass, subhashghosh

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap