GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 08:00

Starts Soon:

Leadership Excellence and Development with a Cornell MBA: Youtube Live with Cornell Admission Directors.


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

#Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4470
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
#Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 00:23
20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (01:12) correct 61% (01:27) wrong based on 402 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate.

A. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

B. a group who believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of what techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate, forecast

C. a group that believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predicts the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

D. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of believing that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

E. believing that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

_________________

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

EMPOWERgmat Discount CodesJamboree Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 723
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
#Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 00:44
B seems best: Bioconservatives, a group who believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate.

faults in bold:

A. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

B. a group who believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of what techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate, forecast

C. a group that believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predicts the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

D. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of believing that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

E. believing that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: One Last Shot !!!
Joined: 04 May 2014
Posts: 239
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
#Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Oct 2015, 01:54
aditya8062 wrote:
B seems best: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate.


A group - Singular
Believe - Plural verb
Predict - Plural verb

To me, the S-V numbers are inconsistent. What do you say?

Moreover, Can a group take 'Who'?? I thought that 'Who' can only modify people. In this case- Bioconservatives, and not their group.
_________________

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain


Originally posted by arhumsid on 23 Oct 2015, 01:48.
Last edited by arhumsid on 23 Oct 2015, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2015
Posts: 848
Location: Switzerland
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: #Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 01:50
1
This is all about SVA: the group who believes (singular) and the bioconservatives (who) predict (plural)

Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate.

A. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

B. a group who believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of what techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate, forecast

C. a group that believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predicts the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

D. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of believing that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

E. believing that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate > just akward to start with believing comparing to B which is more smooth. Additionally we needed no comma if we modify the bioconservatives with believing!

Answer B
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: One Last Shot !!!
Joined: 04 May 2014
Posts: 239
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 02:14
reto wrote:
This is all about SVA: the group who believes (singular) and the bioconservatives (who) predict (plural)

Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate.

A. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

B. a group who believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of what techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate, forecast

C. a group that believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predicts the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

D. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of believing that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

E. believing that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate > just akward to start with believing comparing to B which is more smooth. Additionally we needed no comma if we modify the bioconservatives with believing!

Answer B


Ohhh... i missed it completely!

Group - Believes
Bioconservatives - Predict
are the correct pairs. Thanks for pointing out. +1 Kudos for that :)

But still, Can 'Who' refer to a group of people??
_________________

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1133
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
#Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 03:43
1
Although Subject-verb is given importance, meaning is highlight of this sentence as indicated by Aditya.

here is a wonderful explanation from another user,who nails it

  • The "who" vs. "that" issue is actually a false alarm.
  • Because "who" can be either singular or plural, the fact that it refers to a "group" of people is actually okay.
  • In this context, "who" vs. "that" is a trap designed by the test maker to cause novice test-takers into evaluating an issue that is actually a non-issue.

Not every difference in sentence correction is meaningful.

The basic idea behind this problem is simple. Large modifiers hide what is actually going on.
As we read the problem, we should notice the phrase, "the opposite of." This sets up a comparison, and the items within the comparison must be comparable.
However, we need to get rid of the modifiers to see the underlying structure.

The comparison is between what bio-conservatives predict and what techno-progressives predict.
Here is a breakdown of each answer choice, with the large modifying phrases removed to show the structure:

(A) "Bio-conservatives...predict the opposite as techno-progressives" (Can't work... we can't compare a prediction to a group)

(B) "Bio-conservatives...predict the opposite of what techno-progressives...forecast" (Works! We are now comparing a prediction to a forecast -- two things that are actually comparable. The test maker included the modifiers in this question to make it sound very awkward, but awkward doesn't mean it is grammatically incorrect. "It sounds weird" is not grounds for eliminating an answer.)

(C) "Bio-conservatives...predicts the opposite of techno-progressives" (Again, fails with the comparison. We also have a subject-verb agreement issue here, but at this point, two wrongs don't make a right.)

(D) "Bio-conservatives...predict the opposite of believing that" (Again, the comparison issue...)

(E) "Bio-conservatives...predict the opposite of techno-progressives" (Once again, we can't compare the verb "predict" to a noun, "techno-progressives.")

Anyone who misses this question is missing the comparison issue (or is getting lost in the modifiers)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 134
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
#Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 18:31
Mechmeera wrote:
Although Subject-verb is given importance, meaning is highlight of this sentence as indicated by Aditya.

here is a wonderful explanation from another user,who nails it

  • The "who" vs. "that" issue is actually a false alarm.
  • Because "who" can be either singular or plural, the fact that it refers to a "group" of people is actually okay.
  • In this context, "who" vs. "that" is a trap designed by the test maker to cause novice test-takers into evaluating an issue that is actually a non-issue.

Not every difference in sentence correction is meaningful.

The basic idea behind this problem is simple. Large modifiers hide what is actually going on.
As we read the problem, we should notice the phrase, "the opposite of." This sets up a comparison, and the items within the comparison must be comparable.
However, we need to get rid of the modifiers to see the underlying structure.

The comparison is between what bio-conservatives predict and what techno-progressives predict.
Here is a breakdown of each answer choice, with the large modifying phrases removed to show the structure:

(A) "Bio-conservatives...predict the opposite as techno-progressives" (Can't work... we can't compare a prediction to a group)

(B) "Bio-conservatives...predict the opposite of what techno-progressives...forecast" (Works! We are now comparing a prediction to a forecast -- two things that are actually comparable. The test maker included the modifiers in this question to make it sound very awkward, but awkward doesn't mean it is grammatically incorrect. "It sounds weird" is not grounds for eliminating an answer.)

(C) "Bio-conservatives...predicts the opposite of techno-progressives" (Again, fails with the comparison. We also have a subject-verb agreement issue here, but at this point, two wrongs don't make a right.)

(D) "Bio-conservatives...predict the opposite of believing that" (Again, the comparison issue...)

(E) "Bio-conservatives...predict the opposite of techno-progressives" (Once again, we can't compare the verb "predict" to a noun, "techno-progressives.")

Anyone who misses this question is missing the comparison issue (or is getting lost in the modifiers)


Thanks for the nice explanation. I have a query, For point C, I understood that wrong comparision is made. However, I have doubt regarding the SVA issue. I read many answers and it was mentioned that we should have "predict" as "bioconservatives" is plural. However, "bioconservationes" is "a group". Then why should'nt we have "predicts"?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4479
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: #Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2015, 09:58
Aside from the ‘who vs that issue’ which we will keep in the backburner for a while, , let me deal witha different aspect of B

B. a group who believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of what techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate, forecast

As per this choice, if technology is said to do three different things such as
1. empower,
2. emancipate,
3. forecast.

Why is the ‘and’ missing before the last item ‘forecast’?

Or does it do only two things such as?
1. empower and emancipate,
2. forecast

(This obviously cannot be, because you cannot group empower and emancipate under one set.) Even so why the ‘and’ is missing before the last item ‘forecast’ perhaps needs some explanation.
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4479
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: #Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2015, 10:51
Whether who can refer to a group?

It is understandable that Veritas wants to defend its reference of a group for the pronoun ‘who’. But whether its perception is acceptable in GMAT domain is too early to conclude, unless we have concrete evidence. Maybe Veritas can produce some examples in which ‘who’ is used for referring to a group. I tried through the entire verbal review second edition, but all the 20 and odd references to ‘who’ were only humans. I also tried several other OG versions and I couldn’t find at least one instance in which ‘who’ was used to refer to things other than human beings.

Then I found one GMATPREP an example which used ‘who’ for “companies”. Please see the example and RON’s comment on that

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t2324.html

The odds seem to be against Veritas. But there is no doubt that their hypothesis is rattling our beliefs. Or is this a trivial thing and not t part of the larger picture?
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1133
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2015, 10:52
1
aks456 wrote:
Thanks for the nice explanation. I have a query, For point C, I understood that wrong comparison is made. However, I have doubt regarding the SVA issue. I read many answers and it was mentioned that we should have "predict" as "bioconservatives" is plural. However, "bioconservationes" is "a group". Then why shouldn't we have "predicts"?


it is described as a group just to add some information which is not necessary to convey the intended meaning of the main sentence.

Min sentence is
Quote:
Bio-conservatives predict the opposite of what techno-progressives forecast.


the extra information added just for description or as a non-essential modifier(Between the commas) does not affect the main sentence or its meaning.

I hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 07 May 2015
Posts: 88
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: #Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2015, 15:49
The initial split is between a group who believe vs believes. Group is singular, so verb should be singular too, so Believe is wrong. Hence A and D are out. For rest, response is in-lined.

souvik101990 wrote:
Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate.

A. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate - S-V agreement issue.

B. a group who believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of what techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate, forecast - Correct.

C. a group that believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predicts the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate - Parallelism issue, It should be opposite of what techno-progressives predict.

D. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of believing that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate - S-V agreement issue.

E. believing that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate - Comma + ING must be modifying something other than Bioconservatives, which is wrong.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4479
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: #Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2015, 19:35
I do appreciate that 'forecast' is the verb for the subject ‘ techno-progressives’. But I only intended to bring out the oddity of this style, in which the verb is so far removed from its subject, being padded up with (three) multiple back-to-back modifiers in between. In fact, the verb ‘forecast’ has to jump at least three other verbs such as ‘believe, empower and emancipate’ to join its subject. Although this choice passes the grammar test, it fails the style test, IMO.

Of course, that it is the best of the lot is the solace.
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Sep 2015
Posts: 4
Re: #Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2015, 17:20
Why is no one talking about "forecast" in answer choice B? I believe it's a typo. If it isn't then option B can't be correct.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 07 May 2015
Posts: 88
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: #Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 14:28
Simple and Straight:

Bioconservatives -- Plural -- Predict
A group -- Singular -- Believes
Techno-progressives -- plural - Believe

Only option which has all these correct is B.

souvik101990 wrote:
Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate.

A. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

B. a group who believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of what techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate, forecast

C. a group that believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predicts the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

D. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of believing that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

E. believing that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2653
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
#Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 20:44
souvik101990 wrote:
Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate.


understanding the intended meaning is essential here:
2 groups - BC and TP.
one predicts smth that is totally opposed to the prediction of others.


A. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate
a group is singular - but the verb is in plural form. the opposite as TP - suspicious.

B. a group who believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of what techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate, forecast
SV error removed. predict the opposite OF WHAT Y forecast. looks good. no other SV errors.

C. a group that believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predicts the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate
SV error corrected but predicts the opposite of TP - no.

D. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of believing that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate
SV error as in A. predicts the opposite of believing. nope.

E. believing that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate
predict the opposite of Y. no, they predict the opposite of the prediction of Y.

B for me is the best.

after almost a year - got to the correct answer the same way!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Posts: 15
Location: India
Schools: XLRI (A)
GPA: 2.83
Re: #Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 19:57
souvik101990 wrote:
Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate.

A. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

B. a group who believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of what techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate, forecast

C. a group that believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predicts the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

D. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of believing that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

E. believing that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

B.... The forecast part is used as a verb for it's subject Techno-progressives... Use of commas and "and" before emancipate, and an immediate comma after it clearly helps in the SV agreement part....

Though I answered wrongly upon second round of finding my fault, got this as my logic..... Correct me if am wrong

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 9
Re: #Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 02:28
arhumsid wrote:
reto wrote:
This is all about SVA: the group who believes (singular) and the bioconservatives (who) predict (plural)

Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate.

A. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

B. a group who believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of what techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate, forecast

C. a group that believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predicts the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

D. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of believing that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

E. believing that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate > just akward to start with believing comparing to B which is more smooth. Additionally we needed no comma if we modify the bioconservatives with believing!

Answer B


Ohhh... i missed it completely!

Group - Believes
Bioconservatives - Predict
are the correct pairs. Thanks for pointing out. +1 Kudos for that :)

But still, Can 'Who' refer to a group of people??


I have the same doubt, i thought that can modify group. I think Bioconservatives, group (of people) is understood



Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 996
Location: Bangalore, India
Re: #Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 10:33
sumitchawla wrote:
I have the same doubt, i thought that can modify group. I think Bioconservatives, group (of people) is understood

Agreed. Should have been that.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: #Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological &nbs [#permalink] 15 Mar 2018, 10:33
Display posts from previous: Sort by

#Top150 SC: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.