GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 00:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Topic-wise breakup of Quant section: Most important to least important

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3
Topic-wise breakup of Quant section: Most important to least important  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 06:27
Hello @Bunuel/@bb,

I have a small query: Is there a set of quant topics that the GMAT tests the most? A sort of descending order of importance of topics in quant so that I can concentrate on the frequent ones first?

Thank you.
CEO
CEO
V
Re: Topic-wise breakup of Quant section: Most important to least important  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 07:07
Top Contributor
I'd say the order goes something like this:

- Data Sufficiency strategies
- Percent/ratios
- Statistics
- Algebra
- Geometry
- Integer Properties
- Powers/roots
- Probability/Counting

Cheers,
Brent
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Topic-wise breakup of Quant section: Most important to least important  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 10:53
Hi makshinde,

Yes, there are certain categories/subjects that appear more often in the Quant section of the GMAT than others but you have to look beyond just 'frequency' of a subject when it comes to maximizing your performance in that section. For example, getting a question wrong because of a silly/little mistake is a big issue for many Test Takers, regardless of what the category of question is.

In a separate post, you mentioned taking a CAT a few weeks ago. Have you taken one since then (and if so, then how did you score?)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 18:59
Hello Rich,

I took the GMATClub CAT after that and my total score was the same (610) with the split being Q41 and V33. The first time it was Q44 and V31 on the Manhattan CAT. I couldn't attempt the last 3 questions on the GC CAT, which I think was the reason for the lower score. It might also have something to do with me barely having time to study between the two CATs. :P

I identified the common questions that I got wrong on both tests. They were mostly from Word Problems (Work/Rate, Sets, Consecutive Integers), Number Properties (Odd/Even, Divisibility/Primes, Remainders), Probability, Algebra and Geometry. I'm trying to find a way to get the right weight of topics in order to decide priority.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 20:12
Hi makshinde,

Beyond knowing the general 'category' of question that you got wrong in the Quant section, it's important to define WHY you're getting questions wrong.

On each of these CATs, after reviewing each section, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?

This data is important because it helps to define whether you need to work more on your content/knowledge or on your Tactics and organization.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/
Intern
Intern
B
Topic-wise breakup of Quant section: Most important to least important  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 23:48
Hello Rich,

The mistakes are split in four parts:

1) 40% of the time it was a silly mistake. (Some of these were because of lack of time)
2) 30% of the time it was because I did not know how to solve the problems.
3) 20% of the time it was because I couldn't remember how to solve those problems.
4) 10% of the time it was because I guessed since I did not have enough time.

Thank you.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 10:04
Hi makshinde,

You didn't quite answer the questions that I asked (I asked for information on each section - not cumulative; I also asked for the NUMBER of questions that fell into each category, not the approximate percentage), but there's enough data to imply that your big 'issues' are likely Tactical and organizational in nature. In basic terms, "your way" of approaching the Test takes too long and can potentially lead to little mistakes. You likely know most of the math content just fine, but you're treating the Quant section as if it were a 'math test', when it's really not that at all (it's a 'critical thinking test' that involves a lot of little calculations). As such, to score at a significantly higher level, you'll need to put a greater emphasis on Quant Tactics and patterns - and work with materials that help you to stay focused on those concepts.

1) When are you planning to take the Official GMAT?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 01:36
can any another expert add in this below comment?

GMATPrepNow wrote:
I'd say the order goes something like this:

- Data Sufficiency strategies
- Percent/ratios
- Statistics
- Algebra
- Geometry
- Integer Properties
- Powers/roots
- Probability/Counting

Cheers,
Brent

Help me to help you.
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 19:16
You ask a great question, but providing a definitive answer is difficult. The reality is that when you are dealing with a test comprised of only 31 quant questions, with about 25 main topics (Exponents, Roots, Work questions, Overlapping Sets, etc.), it’s difficult to say what is likely or unlikely to appear on any given exam.

Consider this quote from “The Art of War”:

"The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable."

The best thing you can do is cast a wide net, so that you learn all aspects of GMAT quant and will be successful regardless of what is thrown your way on test day. You also may find it helpful to read my article about [how to increase your GMAT quant score](https://blog.targettestprep.com/improve-gmat-score/) for more tips on dominating the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Topic-wise breakup of Quant section: Most important to least important   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2019, 19:16

Topic-wise breakup of Quant section: Most important to least important

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep