Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [31]
Given Kudos: 298
Concentration: Other, Finance
Schools: SDSU '16
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 2.76
WE:Analyst (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [6]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.3
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Transfer molding is a process in which polymer resins are superheated, [#permalink]
aditya8062 wrote:
the answer has to be D: molding, a process in which superheated polymer resins are compressed in a charger and then injected into a closed mold cavity, is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys, with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface detail

B is too wrong to be an answer

Picked D and I too agree with Aditya's reasoning. There is no parallelism in Option B "... are compressed ... then injecting". "As well as" is also wordy when one could do away with an "and".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 298
Concentration: Other, Finance
Schools: SDSU '16
GPA: 2.76
WE:Analyst (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Transfer molding is a process in which polymer resins are superheated, [#permalink]
aditya8062 wrote:
the answer has to be D: molding, a process in which superheated polymer resins are compressed in a charger and then injected into a closed mold cavity, is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys, with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface detail

B is too wrong to be an answer

I am so sorry, somehow I put B instead instead of D
YES the OA is D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT Date: 01-08-2015
Send PM
hi folks!

one quick question: if the process superheats the polymer resins, wouldnt it be false to say that in the process superheated polymer resins are compressed.

It sounds like the polymer resins were superheated, and then the molding process starts! and we can only mold if we have superheated polymer resins.

I hope my thoughts on this one are comprehensible.

regards eddy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Transfer molding is a process in which polymer resins are superheated, compressed in a charger, and then they are injected into a closed mold cavity; it is used to produce plastic moldings with variable wall thicknesses, as well as fine surface detail, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys.

1) molding is a process in which polymer resins are superheated, compressed in a charger, and then they are injected into a closed mold cavity; it is used to produce plastic moldings with variable wall thicknesses, as well as fine surface detail, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys
Incorrect. Parallelism. "...resins are X, Y and they are Z.
2) molding—a process in which superheated polymer resins are compressed in a charger, then injecting into a closed mold cavity—is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys with variable wall thicknesses, as well as fine surface detail
Incorrect. Logical mistake with the present participle "injecting"; it should be a past participle, because logically it should be receiving the action and not doing the action.
3) molding—a process in which superheated polymer resins compressed in a charger are then injected into a closed mold cavity—it is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys, with walls of variable thickness and surfaces of fine detail
Incorrect. Double subject. [subject] - [modifier] - [subject]

4) molding, a process in which superheated polymer resins are compressed in a charger and then injected into a closed mold cavity, is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys, with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface detail
Correct.
5) molding is a process involving the compression of superheated polymer resins in a charger, and then they are injected into a closed mold cavity; this process, which is used to produce plastic moldings with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface detail, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys
Incorrect. Confuse and wordy.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Transfer molding is a process in which polymer resins are superheated, compressed in a charger, and then they are injected into a closed mold cavity; it is used to produce plastic moldings with variable wall thicknesses, as well as fine surface detail, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys.

1) molding is a process in which polymer resins are superheated, compressed in a charger, and then they are injected into a closed mold cavity; it is used to produce plastic moldings with variable wall thicknesses, as well as fine surface detail, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys ----1. -- Resins are super heated, compressed - then they are heated -- This structure us unparallel 'they are' should have been dropped or at least there should be a comma between super heated and compressed. 2. ambiguous 'it' - can't say, whether 'it' refers to the subject process molding or the nearest 'mold cavity'.

2) molding—a process in which superheated polymer resins are compressed in a charger, then injecting into a closed mold cavity—is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys with variable wall thicknesses, as well as fine surface detail -- modifier contained between dashes is unparallel.

3) molding—a process in which superheated polymer resins compressed in a charger are then injected into a closed mold cavity—it is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys, with walls of variable thickness and surfaces of fine detail --- 'transfer molding' and "it" are double subjects with a single verb

4) molding, a process in which superheated polymer resins are compressed in a charger and then injected into a closed mold cavity, is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys, with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface detail --the best choice.

5) molding is a process involving the compression of superheated polymer resins in a charger, and then they are injected into a closed mold cavity; this process, which is used to produce plastic moldings with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface detail, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys -- the second IC after the semi colon is a fragment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Education)
Send PM
A clear and simple solution to this one! and please provide similar questions for practice
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM

1) molding is a process in which polymer resins are superheated, compressed in a charger, and then they are injected into a closed mold cavity; it is used to produce plastic moldings with variable wall thicknesses, as well as fine surface detail, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys.
Parallelism issue ; verb1 , verb2 ,and clause : Incorrect

2) molding—a process in which superheated polymer resins are compressed in a charger, then injecting into a closed mold cavity—is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys with variable wall thicknesses, as well as fine surface detail

3) molding—a process in which superheated polymer resins compressed in a charger are then injected into a closed mold cavity—it is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys, with walls of variable thickness and surfaces of fine detail.

Use of 'It' is ambiguous : it modifies transfer molding or mold cavity ?

4) molding, a process in which superheated polymer resins are compressed in a charger and then injected into a closed mold cavity, is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys, with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface detail

5) molding is a process involving the compression of superheated polymer resins in a charger, and then they are injected into a closed mold cavity; this process, which is used to produce plastic moldings with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface detail, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys
parallelism issue
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ND
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 655
Schools: Rotman '21
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
clipea12 wrote:

(A) molding is a process in which polymer resins are superheated, compressed in a charger, and then they are injected into a closed mold cavity; it is used to produce plastic moldings with variable wall thicknesses, as well as fine surface detail, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys

(B) molding—a process in which superheated polymer resins are compressed in a charger, then injecting into a closed mold cavity—is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys with variable wall thicknesses, as well as fine surface detail

(C) molding—a process in which superheated polymer resins compressed in a charger are then injected into a closed mold cavity—it is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys, with walls of variable thickness and surfaces of fine detail

(D) molding, a process in which superheated polymer resins are compressed in a charger and then injected into a closed mold cavity, is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys, with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface detail

(E) molding is a process involving the compression of superheated polymer resins in a charger, and then they are injected into a closed mold cavity; this process, which is used to produce plastic moldings with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface detail, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys

Dear Experts,

What is the best approach to handle such a long sentence, it took me 5 mins and 16 secs to identify the correct answer, too long time though the sentence is not that difficult. I faced problems in vertical reading such a long sentence and I couldn't identify clear decision points, so I found myself reading the answer choices one by one. At first, it took me some time to eliminate B then C and then was confused between A & D and finally settled on D

best approaches to handle long sentences are appreciated :-)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dear Experts,

What is the best approach to handle such a long sentence, it took me 5 mins and 16 secs to identify the correct answer, too long time though the sentence is not that difficult. I faced problems in vertical reading such a long sentence and I couldn't identify clear decision points, so I found myself reading the answer choices one by one. At first, it took me some time to eliminate B then C and then was confused between A & D and finally settled on D

CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Transfer molding is a process in which polymer resins are superheated, [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
NDND wrote:
Dear Experts,

One way of tackling long sentences could be to anaylse the structure:

Step 1: Identify the main clause and its core structure ( i.e. the main subject and the main verb / the predicate of the main clause).
Step 2: Identify the subordinate clause(s),if there is (are) any and its (their) the core structure(s), (i,e. the subject(s) and the verb(s) of the subordinte clause(s)).
Step 3: Identify the modifiers for the above-identified subjects / verbs.

For example:
Option D:
Step 1: Main clause - Transfer molding is used to produce plastic moldings.
Step 2: Subordinate clause - None
Step 3: Modifiers:
3.1: "a process in which superheated polymer resins are compressed in a charger and then injected into a closed mold cavity": appositive modifier for "Transfer molding". [At this stage look inside the modifier 3.1 to check the consistency of structure - check nesting: 3.1.1 "in which superheated polymer resins are (3.1.1.1 compressed in a charger) and (then 3.1.1.2 injected into a closed mold cavity)" is a nested subordinate clause modifier for "a process" - The verbs 3.1.1.1 and 3.1.1.2 are further nested within the nested subordinate clause modifier 3.1.1]

3.2: "such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys" refers to "plastic moldings".

3.3: "with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface Detail" refers to "plastic moldings".

With practice, the above analysis should come instinctively and fast. Otherwise you would be ending up a great of deal of time just to understand the structure of the given sentence.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems to me that in Option D the use of two consecutive modifiers 3.2 and 3.3 to refer to the same noun "plastic moldings" is not correct.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option A is not very difficult to eliminate. Two obvious errors are:

1. there is no conjunction between "superheated" and "compressed".
2. "the exterior panels of buses and trolleys" are not examples of "surface detail".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
NDND wrote:
Dear Experts,

One way of tackling long sentences could be to anaylse the structure:

Step 1: Identify the main clause and its core structure ( i.e. the main subject and the main verb / the predicate of the main clause).
Step 2: Identify the subordinate clause(s),if there is (are) any and its (their) the core structure(s), (i,e. the subject(s) and the verb(s) of the subordinte clause(s)).
Step 3: Identify the modifiers for the above-identified subjects / verbs.

For example:
Option D:
Step 1: Main clause - Transfer molding is used to produce plastic moldings.
Step 2: Subordinate clause - None
Step 3: Modifiers:
3.1: "a process in which superheated polymer resins are compressed in a charger and then injected into a closed mold cavity": appositive modifier for "Transfer molding". [At this stage look inside the modifier 3.1 to check the consistency of structure - check nesting: 3.1.1 "in which superheated polymer resins are (3.1.1.1 compressed in a charger) and (then 3.1.1.2 injected into a closed mold cavity)" is a nested subordinate clause modifier for "a process" - The verbs 3.1.1.1 and 3.1.1.2 are further nested within the nested subordinate clause modifier 3.1.1]

3.2: "such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys" refers to "plastic moldings".

3.3: "with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface Detail" refers to "plastic moldings".

With practice, the above analysis should come instinctively and fast. Otherwise you would be ending up a great of deal of time just to understand the structure of the given sentence.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems to me that in Option D the use of two consecutive modifiers 3.2 and 3.3 to refer to the same noun "plastic moldings" is not correct.

Option A is not very difficult to eliminate. Two obvious errors are:

1. there is no conjunction between "superheated" and "compressed".
2. "the exterior panels of buses and trolleys" are not examples of "surface detail".

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation... I will try to apply and practice this
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I have one question that if we will replace IT from the option C than will it be also the correct option??
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GRE 1: Q169 V158
Send PM
In option D, the last modifier ("with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface detail") seems to be modifying "exterior panels" since that modifier comes right after. Why is this not the case and therefore makes option D the correct answer?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts