GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 Mar 2020, 17:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2018 - Calling All Applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
#IAmTuck: A Day in the Life of Anne T’11  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2016, 08:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: #IAmTuck: A Day in the Life of Anne T’11
Every month, a student or alum takes over the Tuck School Instagram to show their week or day in the life.  Here's what a typical day at Amazon is like for Anne Carrihil T'11.

Anne Carrihill T'11 manages the Instock team for Amazon's Pets category which covers supply chain, operations, and inventory planning for anything your pet could ever want. She's been at Amazon for the last 4 years, following a career in finance and strategy. She lives in Seattle with her husband Colin (a T'12), TinyTuckie Madeline (hopefully a D'32), and their large dog Cecil. She spends a lot of her time outside as she says the Pacific Northwest has unending adventures. Her favorites include hiking and skiing in the North Cascades.

I am excited to take over the Tuck Instagram account today for a "Day in the Life" as an alum at Amazon in Seattle. To kick off the day, TinyTuckie Madeline and Cecil the Dog gave a cheer!

It's a sunny Friday here at Amazon. Heading into the Apollo building in our South Lake Union campus...

First meeting of the day is with Derrick Deese T'12. We are basically career twins. Q4 at Amazon is filled with fun, energy, and holiday cheer. Tuckies like to stay fully engaged with our Tuck water bottles, coffee (we are in Seattle after all), and, from time to time, we indulge in our own version of glentuck.

Amazon's Tuck Dogs are hard at work today. Dogs are always welcome and add unpredictable excitement around the office. John Boomgard T'12's Loki is in charge at Fulfillment by Amazon (Note, he chewed his dog bed immediately following this very well behaved picture). Sara Malcolm T'14's dog Lola is an honorary member of the Retail Leadership Development Program, and currently hard at work in Office Products!

It's time for the Pets daily meeting on holiday planning. We have dress-up days on Fridays during Q4. Today is Seattle Grunge / Flannel Day! We also decorated our area as a dog house. Kristiana Helmick T'98, Pets category general manager, and I are here showing off our decorations!

At the end of the day, tuckies still love getting together to reminisce on the great times had at Tuck. Whether hockey, fall A, or hanging in stell, we loved our time at Tuck and the same at Amazon! Here is a representation of T'98-T'15s at Amazon that we snagged in our campus Living Room (complete with fireplace) this afternoon!

Lindsey Drake T'11 and her TinyTuckie read a book together at the new Amazon book store in Seattle's University Village. We met at the kick-off at Admitted Students Weekend in '09. It has been wonderful to be reunited again at Amazon!

The day has come to a close here at Amazon. Signing off from Seattle. Hope you got a glimpse into the tuckie-filled adventures we have ongoing at Amazon! Thanks for following along for my "Day in a Life"!
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
My Summer at Google: Q&A with Rob T’16  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 09:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: My Summer at Google: Q&A with Rob T’16

A conversation with Robert Thelen T'16 who interned at Google this past summer.

Q: What were you doing before Tuck?

A: I was a captain in the United States Air Force. I basically had three jobs over my eight-year Air Force Career: Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Combat Advisor, and Acquisitions Officer. Each was interesting and challenging in their own regard. In Aircraft Maintenance, I was responsible for hundreds of Airmen and two dozen F-15Es (worth $1.2B). As a Combat Advisor, I led a 12 person team in advising, mentoring, and training an Afghan Army unit. In acquisitions, I led a cross functional team in developing a better ejection seat, a new aircrew body armor option, and worked as a Portfolio Execution Chief in tracking the cost, schedule and performance of 500 programs worth $5B a year in expenditures.

Q: What drove you towards Tech and Google in particular?

A: Google was always a dream. I remember being a young lieutenant in Aircraft Maintenance and convincing my unit to use Google Wave, the precursor to Google Docs).  I remember thinking that this level of collaboration would change everything and make my airmen’s job a lot better Image
and easier. In the end, though, Air Force IT ended up blocking the Google Wave site, largely because they did not understand cloud computing. I knew I wanted to someday work for Google, but, the road from the Air Force to a company like Google seemed just too far.

Q: What was your summer like at Google?

A: It was Amazing. I look at that summer as one of the most important learning opportunities of my life.  I had amazing mentors, both formal and informal, got to meet amazing visitors, and got to do work that actually mattered to the company. I was in Google for Work in Sales Operations. My direct supervisor (called a host at Google) was in charge of Planning and Transformation (a cool title, huh?). I worked on interesting and diverse projects, got to learn SQL, produce surveys, and interact with super smart Googlers. The food was good, but the people were amazing. I played Quidditch nearly every week, got to meet Nobel Prize winners, talked to Google Xers, and just hung out on one of the coolest campuses in the world.  

Q: How did Tuck prepare you for Google?

A: For me, Google would not have been possible without Tuck. The caliber and reputation of Tuck’s MBA  program opened the door and the Tuck core classes gave the vocabulary to do well in the interviews. Before Tuck, I did not care about profitability, stock prices, or competitive strategy, it was just not important in the Air Force. In addition to the amazing professors, I got an equal amount of wisdom from my fellow students, who were more than nice enough to sit down and talk about technology companies and even do mock interviews in order to prep me for my encounters.

Q: What advice would you give someone who wants to intern at Google?

A: First, if I can do it, anyone can. I came from a public sector job that is slow to adopt new technology, is always over budget, and still blocks Gmail from work stations (but allows Facebook for some reason). I came to Tuck with no real-world experience outside of the USAF. Through the fall and winter, I learned from my professors and my fellow students, I reached out to the amazing Tuck alumni network, and I just kept focused on tech. There will be many distractions, many opportunities dangled in front of you that will become all the Image
more appealing as your peers get internship offers in early January, but stay strong! Tech recruits slower, and Google in particular, because they care about the whole person and it takes a while to get through the 4,500 applications for an MBA internship.  

Q. What do you plan to do after Tuck?

My beautiful wife Sarah is applying to Masters in Public Policy/Administration programs across the U.S. and I am waiting to see where she gets in and where she wants to go. She followed me to New Hampshire for two years and now it is her turn to follow her passion and go to school. I will decide where I am going after she chooses where she is going to school.  Many of my peers ask me if I am nervous, perhaps waiting until April or May to find where I am going to live and work, but I know that with a Tuck MBA and my work experience, I have all the tools I need to get a cool job. I will keep you up to date! 

Robert Thelen T'16 was born in Oconomowoc, WI and attended the University of Wisconsin, where he graduated with a degree in business management and human resources. Upon graduation, he received his commission as a second Lieutenant in the United States Air Force and was assigned to the 366 Fighter Wing in Mountain Home, Idaho as an aircraft maintenance officer. In Mountain Home, Lt. Thelen was responsible for leading and motivating over 200 airmen and was responsible for $1.6B in aircraft and assets. He was the 2009 company grade officer of the year (1/280), deployed to Guam, Korea and the Philippines as the lead maintenance officer, responsible for 18 F-15Es and participated in joint exercises across the Pacific. In 2010, Lt. Thelen volunteered for a one-year tour in Afghanistan as a combat advisor to the Afghan National Army.  In Afghanistan, he led a 12 person cross-functional team in training, mentoring, and advising a 130 soldier strong Afghan Army unit in all aspects of professional military development, including small-arms training, convoy training, logistics management, leadership, and even literacy education. In addition, Rob started a not-for-profit that connected small towns in the U.S. with a local village, helping to start and fund an all-girls school. Capt. Thelen was awarded a Bronze Start Medal for his service in Afghanistan. After his deployment, Rob was re-assigned to Wright Patterson AFB, in Dayton Ohio, as an acquisitions officer. For his first acquisition projects, he was responsible for a new body armor system, a safety upgrade on ejection seats, and a survival system for pilots, worth over $100M. After two years, he was sent to Squadron Officer School, where he finished as a distinguished graduate (7/680) and was reassigned as the portfolio executive group chief, in charge of the cost, schedule, and performance for 500 programs worth $5.1B a year. After eight years, he separated from the Air Force and is currently attending the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College and resides with his wife Sarah in West Lebanon, N.H.

Stay tuned for Rob’s next post in which he discusses his startup, FliQ.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2018 - Calling All Applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 11:40
Can't wait to know! One more month.
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 11:57
I really love this school.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 12:03
Great school. I'm a big fan of the small , rural campus. Didn't get the warm and fuzzies from interactions with current students... I was little surprised that they didn't have a stronger energy and enthusiasm...
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 12:10
caw wrote:
Great school. I'm a big fan of the small , rural campus. Didn't get the warm and fuzzies from interactions with current students... I was little surprised that they didn't have a stronger energy and enthusiasm...

Maybe it was exams season or something. When I went, they were all super friendly, even though they were busy.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 12:13
abgirl wrote:
caw wrote:

Maybe it was exams season or something. When I went, they were all super friendly, even though they were busy.

It was exam season. But my interaction was with 2nd year MBAs so they were finished with exams (I believe...). Don't get me wrong, absolutely love the school and would be thrilled to enroll. In comparison with some other schools there was less 'selling' / 'courting' that took place. It could be that I am comparing my Tuck visit against selective interviews at other schools... Anyway, fingers crossed for Tuck!
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 12:15
caw wrote:
abgirl wrote:
caw wrote:

It was exam season. But my interaction was with 2nd year MBAs so they were finished with exams (I believe...). Don't get me wrong, absolutely love the school and would be thrilled to enroll. In comparison with some other schools there was less 'selling' / 'courting' that took place. It could be that I am comparing my Tuck visit against selective interviews at other schools... Anyway, fingers crossed for Tuck!

Good Luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Should you apply Round 3? Maybe.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 12:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Should you apply Round 3? Maybe.
Ahhhh Round 3. The April Round (as we refer to it at Tuck) is notoriously the most competitive since the majority of the class has been decided. Wait! Don’t go, keep reading! Although the climb may be steeper, reaching the finish line via the final application round IS possible.  

We’ll be candid here. Tuck has had a Round 3 for a long time and frankly, we wouldn't bother if it wasn't worthwhile. All applicants are taken seriously by the admissions committee no matter which round they choose. The BIGGER question is whether the applicant is taking the opportunity seriously. If an applicant just tosses their application in to the last round because they didn’t have better luck elsewhere, they should reconsider applying and maybe wait until next season when they can bring more gusto to the process.

The most compelling third round candidates show conviction, which includes a candidate’s openness with the process and genuine interest in our program. While they do not have to explain why they are choosing the final round, it is human nature for the reader to wonder why. Sometimes applicants don’t come to the process until a professional experience turns on a lightbulb. Maybe they met an MBA in their travels and got inspired, or perhaps they had a personal situation that derailed their Round 2 plans. As is often the case with the admissions committee, it is far better that you don’t leave us guessing!

Bottom line, it’s always best to apply with the strongest application possible, whether that means shooting for Early Action or April. Tuck doesn’t designate a specific number of offers to each round, but rather bases offers on the quality and quantity of the applicant pool – a strong application will stand out regardless of round.

Read on for first-hand accounts of recent Tuck grads—Sara, Laura F., and Laura I.—who applied in the April Round. 

Timing

Sara wasn’t completely satisfied with her professional life. Although an MBA was something she had been considering, when her company began undergoing some changes, she decided she was ready for a change as well. Because she wanted to ensure that she presented the best possible application, she opted to let a few rounds pass. 

Laura I. first visited Tuck in late February and fell in love with the school. She was already applying to other schools, but when she visited Tuck, she knew this was the place she wanted to get her MBA. By waiting to visit before applying and getting to know some of the Tuckies, it allowed her to perfect her essays and was what she calls the key to completing her strongest application in April.

The takeaway: Apply when you feel your application is at its best, even if it means taking some time to get it there.

Standing Out

An admissions committee’s job is not an easy one. They see a lot of applications from very worthy candidates, so it’s important to ask yourself how you’re unique and then show it through the application process. Laura F. chose to differentiate herself by highlighting a unique background with Teach for America and microfinance. Impressive, yes, but this can be simpler than you think; what are you passionate about? What distinctive experiences have you had? Can that passion and experience help illuminate who you are as a person or who you aspire to be? For instance, Sara is an avid marathon runner and proud of where she comes from. These details, though they may seem inconsequential in the application process, helped provide a foundation to make her case.

The takeaway: Differentiate yourself in a genuine way and tie back to your MBA, career and personal goals.

Final Notes

Is April competitive? Yes, but is the January round not competitive? Are there any spots left? Again yes, the admissions committee is prepared for great candidates that may apply later into the process. Are there any scholarships awarded? Yes, it’s still possible to receive a scholarship. Can you still get a room in the dorms? Yes, the lottery happens in June, just after results are announced. Can you still join a pre-term program with everyone else? Of course.

Study a school’s culture, because fit really is important! Are you right for Tuck? Is Tuck right for you? An MBA requires a lot of resources and two years of your life - make sure you’re spending them wisely. Once you’ve determined that the fit is right, spend time speaking with as many people as possible; students, alumni, staff.

Lastly, there are always other options. If your first attempt at getting into Tuck doesn’t work out in your favor, take time to reassess your goals and your application. Feedback from admissions is often available for those wishing to re-apply.

The takeaway: Have a plan B. While you may not get the outcome you hope for, the process will no doubt teach you something about yourself and help guide your next steps.

Tuck's April Round deadline is April 4, 2016 - start an application here. We also encourage you to initiate your own admissions interview (including the chance to meet with students, sit in on a class, and tour campus) by registering online. The applicant-initiated interview deadline is also April 4, 2016.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.89
WE: Education (Education)
Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2018 - Calling All Applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 07:37
Hey guys,

I had a quick question, and was hoping to glean the insight of the members of this forum.

I was unable to opt for the Tuck on-campus interview and had to do a skype interview instead.
But my work is sending me to the general region in about two weeks(!),
and I was wondering if visiting Tuck at this time would do anything to strengthen my candidacy? (Decision date rolling up March 11)

Would it do anything for my candidacy? More specifically, has my fate already been sealed and my going to visit this late have no impact on the final decision?

Thank you in advance.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Sloan '18 (M)

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 07:40
Eaglet81 wrote:
Hey guys,

I had a quick question, and was hoping to pick the insight of the members of this forum.

I was unable to opt for the Tuck on-campus interview and had to do a skype interview instead.
and I was wondering if visiting Tuck at this time would do anything to strengthen my candidacy? (Decision date rolling up March 11)

Would it do anything for my candidacy? More specifically, has my fate already been sealed and my going to visit this late have no impact on the final decision?

Thank you in advance.

Absolutely go. Not even a question. For interviews, people fly from all over the world. I met people flying in from the ME, ASIA, SA, etc. and Tuck adcom has REPEATEDLY said they want you to come to campus. Sure, sometimes it is impossible, but when they see kids sacrificing to come from Nepal to interview, it kind of sets a high standard for everyone.

Go! haha
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.89
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 07:45
bulldurham wrote:
Eaglet81 wrote:
Hey guys,

I had a quick question, and was hoping to pick the insight of the members of this forum.

Thank you in advance.

Absolutely go. Not even a question. For interviews, people fly from all over the world. I met people flying in from the ME, ASIA, SA, etc. and Tuck adcom has REPEATEDLY said they want you to come to campus. Sure, sometimes it is impossible, but when they see kids sacrificing to come from Nepal to interview, it kind of sets a high standard for everyone.

Go! haha

Thank you Bulldurham! Just a quick clarification: my trip to Tuck would be post interview. (I've completed the Skype interview back in Jan)

Still worth it?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Sloan '18 (M)

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 07:51
Thank you Bulldurham! Just a quick clarification: my trip to Tuck would be post interview. (I've completed the Skype interview back in Jan)

Still worth it?[/quote]

Yes, definitely. I would call the admissions office and tell them that although you didn't think it would be possible, you have made an increased effort and can now visit campus, blah, blah, blah, Tuck is great. Set up a visit and have a great time. It can only help.

Disclaimer: Tuck is awesome and they WL'd me but I really do think this will help you.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 21:02
With decision date so close and no news from adcom on interview invite, is it a ding already..!!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate
WE: Analyst (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 09:14
I have my interview at Tuck on Thursday. I applied Jan 5th so I believe I have one of the last interview slots.

Do you think interviewing this late puts me at a disadvantage?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Tuck Pride: Growing a Strong Support System at Tuck  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 07:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Tuck Pride: Growing a Strong Support System at Tuck
A Q&A with Gus Zhao T’17.

Tell me a little about Tuck Pride and how you found out about it.

Tuck Pride primary goal is to increase LGBT awareness. In addition to a big Tuck ‘Tails event in the fall, Tuck Pride also holds weekly happy hour gatherings and social hangouts. I feel greatly passionate about LGBT awareness—not just for this group but for the entire population in terms of diversity—which is why I was interested in joining Tuck Pride.

How did you first learn about Tuck Pride?

I discovered Tuck Pride by reading about it on Tuck’s blog, Tuck360. Prior to visiting Tuck, I was concerned about the LGBT community and the level of inclusiveness and support here. But then, I read a blog post by Justin Holzwarth T'16 which was very helpful and made me feel very optimistic. I came here and discovered that everything he said about the support and community really was true. It made the decision that much easier.

So, you organized a big Tuck ‘Tails event in the fall for Tuck Pride that was open to the entire Tuck community. Can you tell me about the goal of the event?

The goal of the event was to increase LGBT awareness on campus. It was also a great opportunity for everyone to relax together after classes during Fall A and just have fun.

The second goal of the event was to engage allies to support the Tuck Pride group. Allies are straight people who support the LGBT community.  We only have four or five out students each year at Tuck, which is a pretty small percentage of potential LGBT people. We want to make sure those out in this special community feel comfortable doing so, because there’s a great group behind them, supporting them. We want to maintain and continue to build a strong support system right here at Tuck.

Before I began organizing the event, I talked to a few second years who helped host the event last year and they offered their advice. When I was recruiting volunteers for the event, I was shocked by the overwhelming level of support and engagement I received. A lot of people dedicated their own time to volunteer, which was amazing.

How do you think the event went?

I think it went really well. The level of courage the speakers had to share their out stories at the event was amazing. I was especially touched by a few of the allies who shared so much about their past before Tuck.

We received great feedback from people—they were especially impressed by the speakers and the courage they showed by sharing their stories. One T’17 also mentioned she was very impressed by me because I was an international student hosting the event.

Also, I want to mention that the MBA Program Office was very helpful and supportive. They helped me work with other parties at Tuck to organize the event.

Can you talk a little bit about inclusivity at Tuck?

Absolutely, I think it’s very inclusive here. That’s the reason I chose Tuck. When I visited, I saw that the kind of connections between people have here are so much more intense compared to a lot of peer schools in the States. And then when I actually came here, I found out it was all true. My observations were grounded in reality. People have this kind of community awareness that’s very much within their heart. People are very aware of the importance of diversity and inclusiveness.

I feel completely comfortable being myself here.

Gus Zhao T’17 was born and raised in China. He attended Fudan University in Shanghai and University of California San Diego. Prior to Tuck, he worked in consulting and in the education for profit space. 

Read about Tuck Pride at ROMBA 2014.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 09:46
mbahopeful89 wrote:
I have my interview at Tuck on Thursday. I applied Jan 5th so I believe I have one of the last interview slots.

Do you think interviewing this late puts me at a disadvantage?

I don't think so. I think it is just how the applications were sorted and when they went out. Tuck is also pretty busy processing admissions invites for the round before us, I wouldn't sweat it. Nothing you can do about it anyway. :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 2.8
WE: Analyst (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 04:54
Are the interview invites still rolling out? Did anyone receive the invite in the last 2 days?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 00:27
Does it make any sense to apply with a 710 GMAT (international applicant : India) ?
Manager
Manager
Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2018 - Calling All Applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 07:10
Paul25 wrote:
Does it make any sense to apply with a 710 GMAT (international applicant : India) ?

huh!! yeah; 710 is a pretty good score. Plus, if you don't apply, how will you ever know you could have or could have not gotten in.
Never lose a race because you disqualified yourself even before starting it
GMAT Club Bot
Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2018 - Calling All Applicants!   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2016, 07:10

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37  ...  41    Next  [ 819 posts ] 

Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2018 - Calling All Applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: BingingOnNetflix