Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 702 [38]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3462 [3]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [2]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Send PM
Re: Turkeys economy has grown prodigiously over the past ten years, [#permalink]
I choose D.
A - Incorrect. Use of 'increase'
B - Incorrect. Too long. Wordy.
C - Incorrect.
E - Incorrect. Use of 'increase'
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 935 [0]
Send PM
Re: Turkeys economy has grown prodigiously over the past ten years, [#permalink]
rahulraao wrote:
Turkey’s economy has grown prodigiously over the past ten years, averaging an annual increase each year that is about eight percent—one of the highest growth rates in the world.

(A) averaging an annual increase each year that is about eight percent
(B) with an annual average each year which is about eight percent
(C) eight percent is what it averages out to each year
(D) with an average annual increase of about eight percent
(E) the average of the annual increase each year is about eight percent

D

all other choices are wordy ( "average an annual increase" )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 702 [0]
Send PM
Good explanation nakib! OA is D!
I didnt even see the redundancy of annual and each year!! Good one!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [1]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
Kudos
Turkey's economy has grown prodigiously over the past ten years, averaging an annual increase each year that is about eight percent —one of the highest growth rates in the world.

(D) with an average annual increase of about eight percent - Correct Meaning & most concise

(E) the average of the annual increase each year is about eight percent - Run on Sentence

Answer D.

Thanks,
GyM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Kudos
Hi ,
Need help for option A.
if i removed "each year" from option A, then this option may have been considered rt?
A ) averaging an annual increase that is about eight percent
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Bookmarks
rahulraao wrote:
Turkey's economy has grown prodigiously over the past ten years, averaging an annual increase each year that is about eight percent —one of the highest growth rates in the world.

(E) the average of the annual increase each year is about eight percent

comma + with (adverbial modifier) = LINK 1 & LINK 2 & LINK 3 & LINK 4 & LINK5 & LINK 6

I choose D. but I still want to say about D
D is best.
with+noun+noun modifier work as adverb, modifying the whole previous sentence. with +increase dose not refer to economy and someperson can say that the meaning is unclear. however, from the context we can infer the reference of "with+increase". moreover, D is best choice which dose not need to be perfect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 2309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
daagh need your help here.

If I remove "each year" from Option A, will it be correct then?
My concern is : Isn't "averaging..." providing more information about the earlier part of the sentence rather than modifying the noun "Turkey's economy"?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Turkeys economy has grown prodigiously over the past ten years, [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:

(E) the average of the annual increase each year is about eight perc
ent

Raunaq said:
Quote:
daagh need your help here.

If I remove "each year" from Option A, will it be correct then?
My concern is : Isn't "averaging..." providing more information about the earlier part of the sentence rather than modifying the noun "Turkey's economy"?

1. If you remove 'each year' from A, perhaps, it is ok grammatically, but still, it suffers in style because 'increase that is of eight percent" is less concise than 'increase of eight percent'.

2. Yes, the adverbial 'comma plus averaging' phrase does modify the subject and its prodigious growth and that is a better than merely referring to the subject alone. If you want to refer to only 'Turkey's economy', then the whole sentence has to be recast as follows.

Quote:
Averaging an annual increase each year that is about eight percent —one of the highest growth rates in the world, Turkey's economy has grown prodigiously over the past ten years--

This is an adjectival modification referring to the subject, but there is no need to split hairs over it.
However, my curiosity is whether there is any great need to tinker with choice A, when D is good enough and much more straight and concise.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
is the use of 'with' in option D 'with an average annual increase of about eight percent' correct ? it seems to imply economy improving 'with' something else in parallel.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM