GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 14:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes inv

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes inv  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 20:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (00:36) correct 21% (00:46) wrong based on 1251 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 780
Page: 772

Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes involving sport utility vehicles, the research conducted by the insurance company took into account such factors as a driver's age, sex, and previous driving record.

(A) company, whose research was based on
(B) company, which researched
(C) company, in its research of
(D) company's research, having been based on
(E) company's research on

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Most Helpful Community Reply
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes inv  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 06:28
Unlike X, Y --> Here X and Y must be ||.

Y : Research , so X must be research only. Hence, option A, B and C out.

Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes involving sport utility vehicles, the research conducted by the insurance company took into account such factors as a driver'a age, sex, and previous driving record.

(D) company's research, having been based on--> Awkward and weird.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes inv  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 21:11
E, as in the sentence automobile company's research has been compared with the research conducted by insurance company.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
P
Schools: Rotman '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 21:29
hazelnut wrote:

Practice Question

Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes involving sport utility vehicles, the research conducted by the insurance company took into account such factors as a driver'a age, sex, and previous driving record.

A , B , C are out -Wrong comparison...company with research ...
between D and E -- E is best
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Sep 2017, 08:26
Top Contributor
Whereas A, B, and C can be dispensed with easily for using a faulty comparison, D has a problem of changing the meaning. Many a time, 'having been based implies a causal connotation as if because the company's research had been based on some XYZ factors, the insurance company took up a different route. This is not the intention of the topic. Therefore E.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 21 May 2017, 23:06.
Last edited by daagh on 02 Sep 2017, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 09:14
Yes, E is the best choice here.

A) Grammatically incorrect, since 'whose' is applied when the action is done by people, and illogical comparison
B) Illogical comparison
C) Illogical comparison
D) Awkward phrasing
E) Correct.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: LBS '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 03:13

My 2 cents.
It is important to identify what this q is testing.

This q is testing comparison - whether we are comparing things correctly.
If you look at the not underlined part, you can see that subject after comma is research.
So, the underlined part's subject should be research.
Then you are left with D and E.
D is wrong as the verb's form is wrong.
E is correct.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 11:47
Isn't E completely changing the meaning of the sentence?

A / D) -> research based on crashes w/ spot vehicles (meaning the result was based on the subset of observations within those crashes)

E) -> research on crashes (meaning the crashes, not any other results were the focus of the sentence)

Clearly D is awkward, but shouldn't such a drastic change in meaning render option E) wrong?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 08:10
^ Same as above. I'm not sure why option E is correct, since I think "research based on xx" and "research on xx" have 2 different meanings.

"Research on xx" means you're researching xx subject, whereas research based on xx might mean you're researching on other topic, but using evidences from xx subject
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.73

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 01:54
^^^^
I agree with Vezax27 and gmatwarrior9117.

After seeing that A, B and C were comparing the wrong things, I had choice D and E left.
I just automatically saw "research on" and eliminated E, because I was taught that on the GMAT, the word "research" followed by a preposition is always incorrect. The second portion of choice D "having been based on" sounds awkward, but because it there was no preposition after "research" I ended up picking D.

Maybe I'm not understanding the use of "research" + preposition?

If anybody can shed some light on the usage of |research" + preposition, that would be great!
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
WE: Other (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 11:55

What is wrong with the bold part except for awkwardness can anybody shed some light on this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When nothing seem to help, I would go and look at a Stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred time without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it would split in two.
And I knew it was not that blow that did it, But all that had gone Before

Board of Directors
V

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 12:31
Prashant10692 wrote:

What is wrong with the bold part except for awkwardness can anybody shed some light on this?

Hi Prashant10692 ,

There is a very good explanation given here.

Please let us know in case of any further queries.

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 14:51
gmatwarrior9117 wrote:
^ Same as above. I'm not sure why option E is correct, since I think "research based on xx" and "research on xx" have 2 different meanings.

"Research on xx" means you're researching xx subject, whereas research based on xx might mean you're researching on other topic, but using evidences from xx subject

Hello gmatwarrior9117,

I am not sure if you still have this doubt. Here is the explanation nonetheless. :-)

This official sentence presents incorrect contrast between the automobile company and the research.

In order to maintain this incorrect contrast but to convey the intended meaning, the sentence uses the expression whose research was based on crashes.

The expression actually means that the topic of the research was certain types of crashes. The expression does not mean that the company was doing some other research and used the results of these types crashes for its research.

So there is no meaning change in the correct answer choice E. Because the correct answer presents correct contrast, the structure becomes precise.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 15:09
Prashant10692 wrote:

Hello Prashant10692,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

The modifier having verb-ed/ having been verb-ed has a very specific usage. It is used express the first action out of the two actions done in the past.

This modifier modifies an action by presenting another action performed by a noun entity. The action denoted by the having modifier presents the action done prior to the modified action denoted by the verb associated with the noun. For example:

Having finished his breakfast, Joy went to play tennis..

In the above-mentioned sentence, the highlighted modifier modifies the following clause. The sentence means that Joy first finished his breakfast and then went to play tennis.

Now let's see how this modifier has been used in Choice D: company's research, having been based on

Clearly, this modifier has not been used correctly in the sentence. The modifier having been based on modifies the preceding noun the automobile company's research.

Choice D seems to suggest that the first the research was based on something, and then something else was done with it. However, this after action is not mentioned in the sentence for the obvious reason that no such information is intended to be conveyed by the original sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 07:54
E. the comparison here is not the company itself but rather the research. Only E correctly compares it
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 13:33
Hi!! I have a doubt about this question.
It seems to me that we are comparing "what factors took into account the insurance company in its research" and "the factors on which the automobile company's research was based". So, aren't we comparing the factors on which the researchs were based? That's why i chose A instead of E.
Board of Directors
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 01:45
patto wrote:
Hi!! I have a doubt about this question.
It seems to me that we are comparing "what factors took into account the insurance company in its research" and "the factors on which the automobile company's research was based". So, aren't we comparing the factors on which the researchs were based? That's why i chose A instead of E.

Hey patto ,

Did you check my explanation here?

Remember, Unlike has a very strict rule.

In option A, You are comparing company with research. This is not allowed because X and Y have to be ||.

Hence, A is out.

Does that make sense?

Manager
Manager
B
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 07:16
hazelnut wrote:

Practice Question

Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes involving sport utility vehicles, the research conducted by the insurance company took into account such factors as a driver's age, sex, and previous driving record.

E is the best one in this , one can only think of option A , however the comparison between automobile company and insurance company is parallel in option E .

" Can't stop learning and failing"

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 15:15
Hello Everyone!

It looks like there have been some great discussions on this question already! Let's break things down even further to determine which option is the best one. Before we get started, here is the original question with the most important differences between each option highlighted in orange:

After a quick glance over the question and 5 options, it's clear that this is an example of a COMPARISON sentence. Whenever we see comparison questions on the GMAT, the first thing we should look at is parallelism!

This sentence uses the structure "Unlike X, Y..." to indicate this is a comparison. Both X and Y need to be parallel for this to be correct. Let's look at each sentence with the option added in to see how each answer stacks up:

(A) Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes involving sport utility vehicles, the research conducted by the insurance company took into account such factors as a driver's age, sex, and previous driving record.

This is NOT PARALLEL because it's trying to compare the automobile company to research, which are not parallel in nature.

(B) Unlike the automobile company, which researched crashes involving sport utility vehicles, the research conducted by the insurance company took into account such factors as a driver's age, sex, and previous driving record.

This is NOT PARALLEL for the same reason as option A: it's attempting to compare a company to research, which are two completely different things.

(C) Unlike the automobile company, in its research of crashes involving sport utility vehicles, the research conducted by the insurance company took into account such factors as a driver's age, sex, and previous driving record.

Again, this is NOT PARALLEL because it's trying to compare a company to research, which aren't parallel in kind.

(D) Unlike the automobile company's research, having been based on crashes involving sport utility vehicles, the research conducted by the insurance company took into account such factors as a driver's age, sex, and previous driving record.

This is PARALLEL because it is comparing two things of the same type: the automobile company's research and the insurance company's research!

(E) Unlike the automobile company's research on crashes involving sport utility vehicles, the research conducted by the insurance company took into account such factors as a driver's age, sex, and previous driving record.

This is PARALLEL because it is comparing two things of the same type: the automobile company's research and the insurance company's research!

We can eliminate options A, B, and C because they don't use parallel structure to create a proper comparison!

Now that we're left with only options D & E, let's take a closer look to find which one is the better option:

(D) Unlike the automobile company's research, having been based on crashes involving sport utility vehicles, the research conducted by the insurance company took into account such factors as a driver's age, sex, and previous driving record.

This option is INCORRECT because it's overly wordy and slightly misleading. There is no reason to say "having been based on" when simply saying "on" means the same thing. It also subtly suggests that we should be comparing what both sets of research are based on, rather than just saying that both studies are about sport utility vehicle crashes that cover different topics.

(E) Unlike the automobile company's research on crashes involving sport utility vehicles, the research conducted by the insurance company took into account such factors as a driver's age, sex, and previous driving record.

This option is CORRECT because it's clear and concise! It's clear that both studies are about sport utility vehicle crashes, but that they each cover different factors. It's also much easier to say "on" rather than "having been based on."

There you go - option E is the correct answer because it's clear, concise, and uses parallel structure to show a comparison!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Erasmus '20

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 07:17
Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes involving sport utility vehicles, the research conducted by the insurance company took into account such factors as a driver's age, sex, and previous driving record. – COMPARATION – cannot compare company with the research

(D) company's research, having been based on - WORDY
(E) company's research on - CORRECT
Re: Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes inv &nbs [#permalink] 15 Aug 2018, 07:17

Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes inv

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap