Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:58 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [27]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
Schools:University of Economics Prague
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32836 [10]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [7]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1546 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Re: Unlike the United States with its generalissimo politicians - Washingt [#permalink]
Kudos
chipi113 wrote:
Why Q15 is D if in the second paragraph is not mentioned at all legislation?

I got D, after that I chose again E. The misunderstand the word 'thwart' make me wrong. I can understand that the accomplishment in sport will express his bold to face with taboo issues mentioned in third paragraph.

My got answer is:

13, B
14, D (careless)
15, D => E (OMG)
16, B

Got only one correct :<
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
Send PM
Re: Unlike the United States with its generalissimo politicians - Washingt [#permalink]
Hi Expert,

I would like OE for the question 4.

Thank you.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32836 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello ballest127, Well i don't have OE of this passage but try to explain it myself.

Explanation

4. The quotation "The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation," (Highlighted)is most probably used to

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

First read these lines in the passage:

"His reason for loosening legislation on these issues was, as he put poetically put it, "The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation."

Now take a look at the answer choices, a deep look at underlined and bold text.

A. Present the opinion that the state should have less of a say in issues that are essentially not public matters - This is a reason that Prime minister want to say why he loosen the legislation. - Correct

B. Present the opinion that the state should have less of a say in issues that are essentially public matters - Incorrect

C. Present the opinion that the state should have more of a say in issues that are essentially not personal matters - Incorrect

D. Provide an example of Pierre Elliot Trudeau’s flamboyant style that he used to captivate the Canadian public - He didnt use any such tactics - Incorrect

E. Contrast Pierre Elliot Trudeau’s flamboyant style with that of Lester B. Pearson - Completely out of the way - Incorrect

ANSWER: A

Hope it helps

ballest127 wrote:
Hi Expert,

I would like OE for the question 4.

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Hi Expert ,

Can you provide OE for question 3,

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Send PM
For question 2,

2. It can be inferred from the passage that former Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King

A. Was opposed to abortion and put forward legislation making it illegal
B. Was opposed to abortion but did not put forward legislation making it illegal
C. Was in favor of abortion and put forward legislation making it legal
D. Was in favor of abortion but did not put forward legislation making it legal
E. Did not put forward legislation making abortion legal

I marked option b. The passage states that "Even the powerful Mackenzie King dared not touch any of the three,"...
Doesnt "Dared" indicates that he wanted to put forward the legislation but he did not?

craky wrote:
New Project RC Butler 2019 - Practice 2 RC Passages Everyday
Passage # 46, Date : 23-FEB-2019
This post is a part of New Project RC Butler 2019. Click here for Details

Unlike the United States with its generalissimo politicians - Washington, Jackson, Grant, and Eisenhower- the ‘martial arts’ have been conspicuously absent from Canadian politics. The exception to the rule is former Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau, who became the first Canadian leader to bring a gunslinger ethos to Canadian politics. Trudeau introduced Canada to the refined art of single combat; it was the politics of “doing it my way”. Single-combat confrontation implied much more than the renegade in power did, and far less than the tricks of William Lyon Mackenzie King, prime minister intermittently between 1921 and 1948.

Trudeau’s unique background prepared him for the role of authoritarian leader he would assume later in life. Born on October 18, 1919, Trudeau lived in French-speaking Montreal, but heard English at home from his mother, making it easy for the young politician to appeal to all sectors of Canada, a bilingual country. As a young man, he walked and cycled through Europe, finding himself on occasion on the wrong side of the bars in foreign jails. By 1940, Trudeau entered the law faculty at the University of Montreal. As a student he enlisted in the Canadian Officers Training Corps, where he was given a commission as a lieutenant, a rank he held until his retirement in 1947. Trudeau, a renowned sportsman, held a brown belt in karate, knew how to skin dive and could descend 150 feet off a cliff with ease. He continued performing flamboyant physical feats even in later life as Canada’s fifteenth prime minister, astounding Canadians with his prowess. The public’s adoration made it possible for him to practice his personal brand of ‘do it my way’ politics, initiating profound and long-lasting changes to his country.

Other leaders would never have undertaken to deal with such taboo issues as divorce, abortion and homosexuality– matters likely to infuriate conservative Canada from coast to coast. Even the powerful Mackenzie King dared not touch any of the three, though Trudeau tackled them together in an omnibus bill as Minister of Justice under Lester B. Pearson. His reason for loosening legislation on these issues was, as he put poetically put it, "The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation." The myths makers have it that this was Trudeau's first deliberate ‘gun slinging’ move, performed with the ultimate goal of attaining national leadership. Contrary to popular belief, Trudeau had no leadership aspirations at the time; all he had was a passion for combat that eclipsed other religious considerations. Trudeau instigated far-reaching changes in legislation governing divorce, abortion and homosexuality that have had a major impact on Canada, shaping the country into what it is today.
1. The primary focus of the passage is on which of the following?

A. Comparing two Canadian prime ministers and contrasting their personal style of leadership
B. Describing the leadership style of one of Canada’s prime ministers
C. Evaluating the success of the leadership style of one of Canada’s prime ministers
D. Summarizing the contribution of one of Canada’s prime ministers
E. Tracing the long-term impact of legislation put forward by one of Canada’s prime ministers

2. It can be inferred from the passage that former Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King

B. Was opposed to abortion but did not put forward legislation making it illegal

3. The author of the passage mentions Trudeau’s accomplishments in sports primarily in order to

A. Explain the source of Trudeau’s physical stamina
B. Illustrate that he had earned the adoration of the Canadian public
C. Contrast it to his personal brand of ‘do it my way’ politics
D. Provide one reason why he was able to single-handedly push through legislation that should normally have shocked conservative Canada
E. Provide one reason why he was able to single-handedly thwart legislation that should normally have shocked conservative Canada

4. The quotation "The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation," (Highlighted)is most probably used to

A. Present the opinion that the state should have less of a say in issues that are essentially not public matters
B. Present the opinion that the state should have less of a say in issues that are essentially public matters
C. Present the opinion that the state should have more of a say in issues that are essentially not personal matters
D. Provide an example of Pierre Elliot Trudeau’s flamboyant style that he used to captivate the Canadian public
E. Contrast Pierre Elliot Trudeau’s flamboyant style with that of Lester B. Pearson

Difficulty Level: 650
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 382
Schools: NUS '20
Send PM
craky wrote:
New Project RC Butler 2019 - Practice 2 RC Passages Everyday
Passage # 46, Date : 23-FEB-2019
This post is a part of New Project RC Butler 2019. Click here for Details

Unlike the United States with its generalissimo politicians - Washington, Jackson, Grant, and Eisenhower- the ‘martial arts’ have been conspicuously absent from Canadian politics. The exception to the rule is former Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau, who became the first Canadian leader to bring a gunslinger ethos to Canadian politics. Trudeau introduced Canada to the refined art of single combat; it was the politics of “doing it my way”. Single-combat confrontation implied much more than the renegade in power did, and far less than the tricks of William Lyon Mackenzie King, prime minister intermittently between 1921 and 1948.

Trudeau’s unique background prepared him for the role of authoritarian leader he would assume later in life. Born on October 18, 1919, Trudeau lived in French-speaking Montreal, but heard English at home from his mother, making it easy for the young politician to appeal to all sectors of Canada, a bilingual country. As a young man, he walked and cycled through Europe, finding himself on occasion on the wrong side of the bars in foreign jails. By 1940, Trudeau entered the law faculty at the University of Montreal. As a student he enlisted in the Canadian Officers Training Corps, where he was given a commission as a lieutenant, a rank he held until his retirement in 1947. Trudeau, a renowned sportsman, held a brown belt in karate, knew how to skin dive and could descend 150 feet off a cliff with ease. He continued performing flamboyant physical feats even in later life as Canada’s fifteenth prime minister, astounding Canadians with his prowess. The public’s adoration made it possible for him to practice his personal brand of ‘do it my way’ politics, initiating profound and long-lasting changes to his country.

Other leaders would never have undertaken to deal with such taboo issues as divorce, abortion and homosexuality– matters likely to infuriate conservative Canada from coast to coast. Even the powerful Mackenzie King dared not touch any of the three, though Trudeau tackled them together in an omnibus bill as Minister of Justice under Lester B. Pearson. His reason for loosening legislation on these issues was, as he put poetically put it, "The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation." The myths makers have it that this was Trudeau's first deliberate ‘gun slinging’ move, performed with the ultimate goal of attaining national leadership. Contrary to popular belief, Trudeau had no leadership aspirations at the time; all he had was a passion for combat that eclipsed other religious considerations. Trudeau instigated far-reaching changes in legislation governing divorce, abortion and homosexuality that have had a major impact on Canada, shaping the country into what it is today.
1. The primary focus of the passage is on which of the following?

A. Comparing two Canadian prime ministers and contrasting their personal style of leadership
B. Describing the leadership style of one of Canada’s prime ministers
C. Evaluating the success of the leadership style of one of Canada’s prime ministers
D. Summarizing the contribution of one of Canada’s prime ministers
E. Tracing the long-term impact of legislation put forward by one of Canada’s prime ministers

3. The author of the passage mentions Trudeau’s accomplishments in sports primarily in order to

A. Explain the source of Trudeau’s physical stamina
B. Illustrate that he had earned the adoration of the Canadian public
C. Contrast it to his personal brand of ‘do it my way’ politics
D. Provide one reason why he was able to single-handedly push through legislation that should normally have shocked conservative Canada
E. Provide one reason why he was able to single-handedly thwart legislation that should normally have shocked conservative Canada

A. Present the opinion that the state should have less of a say in issues that are essentially not public matters
B. Present the opinion that the state should have less of a say in issues that are essentially public matters
C. Present the opinion that the state should have more of a say in issues that are essentially not personal matters
D. Provide an example of Pierre Elliot Trudeau’s flamboyant style that he used to captivate the Canadian public
E. Contrast Pierre Elliot Trudeau’s flamboyant style with that of Lester B. Pearson

Difficulty Level: 650

Is there anyone who can help me in Q1.
why in Q1, why the answer is not D but B?

i think Trudeu had made a contribution, supporting by the following lines:"Trudeau instigated far-reaching changes in legislation governing divorce, abortion and homosexuality that have had a major impact on Canada, shaping the country into what it is today"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
[quote="GunjS"]For question 2,

"dared not touch any of the three" and no further comments on his view, he may be in favor or against, we don't know because the author didn't tell
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Hi Sajjad1994,

Can you provide OE for question#1 ?

Thank you
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32836 [4]
Send PM
Unlike the United States with its generalissimo politicians - Washingt [#permalink]
Kudos