Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [22]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [8]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [5]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Send PM
Re: Uranium, the heaviest of the stable, naturally-occurring che [#permalink]
Kudos
i think it should be C. because that implies only those element( Ur, Silver, mercury and iodine) which are stable and naturally occuring.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: -23 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Between C & D. IMO C.

In D, naturally occurring 'of the' is awkward.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [3]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
adityapagadala wrote:
Whats wrong with A?

OE by KAPLAN
Read the Original Sentence Carefully, Looking for Errors:

The sentence contains no grammatical errors as written and has no glaring style issues. However, time permitting, the other answer choices should always be tested systematically, even when "correct as written" is expected.

Scan and Group the Answer Choices:

With no error to scan for and no obvious correct/incorrect split in the answer choices, Step 2 is impractical for this problem. Unfortunately, answers must be eliminated one by one.

Eliminate Wrong Answer Choices:

Choices (B) and (C) both reconstruct the underlined portion with more words and less clarity than the original. Eliminate them both.

Choice (D) introduces clarity problems by rearranging the original’s word order and placing the word "stable" right after the adjective "heaviest." Eliminate.

Choice (E) is very confusing, implying that uranium is a plural noun and making the sentence’s logic generally difficult to follow. Eliminate.

The sentence as written makes its point in a correct, concise, and stylistically sound manner, so Answer Choice (A) is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
blueseas wrote:
adityapagadala wrote:
Whats wrong with A?

OE by KAPLAN

The sentence contains no grammatical errors as written and has no glaring style issues. However, time permitting, the other answer choices should always be tested systematically, even when "correct as written" is expected.

With no error to scan for and no obvious correct/incorrect split in the answer choices, Step 2 is impractical for this problem. Unfortunately, answers must be eliminated one by one.

Choices (B) and (C) both reconstruct the underlined portion with more words and less clarity than the original. Eliminate them both.

Choice (D) introduces clarity problems by rearranging the original’s word order and placing the word "stable" right after the adjective "heaviest." Eliminate.

Choice (E) is very confusing, implying that uranium is a plural noun and making the sentence’s logic generally difficult to follow. Eliminate.

The sentence as written makes its point in a correct, concise, and stylistically sound manner, so Answer Choice (A) is correct.

Exactly ..!!

thanks for the explanation..!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
I reduced the choices to C and A and chose C. I felt that "that are stable and naturally occuring" is clearer than "of the stable, naturally occuring". I felt that if the comma in A after "stable", is replaced by "and" as in C it would have been perfect. Anyway, now we know there was no error in A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
blueseas wrote:
adityapagadala wrote:
Whats wrong with A?

OE by KAPLAN

May I know how C is less clear? I agree A is more concise than C, and C is more wordy, but less clear? "that are stable and naturally occurring" is clear. isn't it? or am I missing something?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [2]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
HarishLearner wrote:
blueseas wrote:
adityapagadala wrote:
Whats wrong with A?

OE by KAPLAN

May I know how C is less clear? I agree A is more concise than C, and C is more wordy, but less clear? "that are stable and naturally occurring" is clear. isn't it? or am I missing something?

I'll suggest you go through OG13 sentence correction explanations when studying. Don't jump any question you get correctly. Take the pains to study the way the exam setters think and you will understand why they prefer certain structures to the other.

For example take a look at sentence 1 & 2 below:

1. The cute, cuddly monkey escaped from its cage
2. The cute and cuddly monkey escaped from its cage

Nothing is wrong with both sentences but the GMAT can throw both of them at you as options. After going through the OG explanations, you will get to understand that the GMAT prefers sentence 1 to sentence 2. Sentence 1 is more concise because it explains the idea with fewer words without losing the meaning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
knightofdelta wrote:
HarishLearner wrote:
blueseas wrote:
OE by KAPLAN

I'll suggest you go through OG13 sentence correction explanations when studying. Don't jump any question you get correctly. Take the pains to study the way the exam setters think and you will understand why they prefer certain structures to the other.

For example take a look at sentence 1 & 2 below:

1. The cute, cuddly monkey escaped from its cage
2. The cute and cuddly monkey escaped from its cage

Nothing is wrong with both sentences but the GMAT can throw both of them at you as options. After going through the OG explanations, you will get to understand that the GMAT prefers sentence 1 to sentence 2. Sentence 1 is more concise because it explains the idea with fewer words without losing the meaning.

I will definitely follow your advice henceforth. :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Shouldn't there be "and" between "stable" & "naturally occurring" ?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos