It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 02:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Uranium, the heaviest of the stable, naturally-occurring che

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Uranium, the heaviest of the stable, naturally-occurring che [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2013, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

51% (00:46) correct 49% (00:55) wrong based on 269 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Uranium, the heaviest of the stable, naturally-occurring chemical elements , is more abundant in the Earth's crust than silver, mercury, or iodine.

= of the stable, naturally-occurring chemical elements
= of the chemical elements to be stable and naturally occurring
= of the elements that are stable and naturally occurring
= stable and naturally occurring of the chemical elements
= chemical elements stable and naturally occurring
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Last edited by blueseas on 26 Aug 2013, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Reviews Badge
Re: Uranium, the heaviest of the stable, naturally-occurring che [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2013, 12:50
i think it should be C. because that implies only those element( Ur, Silver, mercury and iodine) which are stable and naturally occuring.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2013, 13:48
Between C & D. IMO C.

In D, naturally occurring 'of the' is awkward.

Struggling BIG TIME with RC.. Any improvement tips much appreciated. Thanks!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2013, 23:07
This post received
KUDOS
adityapagadala wrote:
Whats wrong with A?

OE by KAPLAN
Read the Original Sentence Carefully, Looking for Errors:

The sentence contains no grammatical errors as written and has no glaring style issues. However, time permitting, the other answer choices should always be tested systematically, even when "correct as written" is expected.

Scan and Group the Answer Choices:

With no error to scan for and no obvious correct/incorrect split in the answer choices, Step 2 is impractical for this problem. Unfortunately, answers must be eliminated one by one.

Eliminate Wrong Answer Choices:

Choices (B) and (C) both reconstruct the underlined portion with more words and less clarity than the original. Eliminate them both.

Choice (D) introduces clarity problems by rearranging the original’s word order and placing the word "stable" right after the adjective "heaviest." Eliminate.

Choice (E) is very confusing, implying that uranium is a plural noun and making the sentence’s logic generally difficult to follow. Eliminate.

The sentence as written makes its point in a correct, concise, and stylistically sound manner, so Answer Choice (A) is correct.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2013, 23:56
blueseas wrote:
adityapagadala wrote:
Whats wrong with A?

OE by KAPLAN

The sentence contains no grammatical errors as written and has no glaring style issues. However, time permitting, the other answer choices should always be tested systematically, even when "correct as written" is expected.

With no error to scan for and no obvious correct/incorrect split in the answer choices, Step 2 is impractical for this problem. Unfortunately, answers must be eliminated one by one.

Choices (B) and (C) both reconstruct the underlined portion with more words and less clarity than the original. Eliminate them both.

Choice (D) introduces clarity problems by rearranging the original’s word order and placing the word "stable" right after the adjective "heaviest." Eliminate.

Choice (E) is very confusing, implying that uranium is a plural noun and making the sentence’s logic generally difficult to follow. Eliminate.

The sentence as written makes its point in a correct, concise, and stylistically sound manner, so Answer Choice (A) is correct.

Exactly ..!!

thanks for the explanation..!!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2013, 04:56
I reduced the choices to C and A and chose C. I felt that "that are stable and naturally occuring" is clearer than "of the stable, naturally occuring". I felt that if the comma in A after "stable", is replaced by "and" as in C it would have been perfect. Anyway, now we know there was no error in A.

Kudos would be appreciated -:) !

http://www.EnglishForEveryone.in

http://www.facebook.com/KnowYourEnglish

GMAT Prep : Critical Reasoning Decoded

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2013, 05:00
This post received
KUDOS
blueseas wrote:
adityapagadala wrote:
Whats wrong with A?

OE by KAPLAN

May I know how C is less clear? I agree A is more concise than C, and C is more wordy, but less clear? "that are stable and naturally occurring" is clear. isn't it? or am I missing something?

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2013, 10:56
This post received
KUDOS
HarishLearner wrote:
blueseas wrote:
adityapagadala wrote:
Whats wrong with A?

OE by KAPLAN

May I know how C is less clear? I agree A is more concise than C, and C is more wordy, but less clear? "that are stable and naturally occurring" is clear. isn't it? or am I missing something?

Let me try to help.

Noun: chemical elements
Adjectives: stable, naturally occurring
Generally, it's more common and concise to place the adjectives separated with commas before the Noun. At least, this observation has worked for me when stuck between choices such as A and C which are both grammatically correct and differ only in style.

Also, C misses the word "chemical" from the sentence altogether.

Example: Robert De Niro, the oldest among all the tall, well-built actors, is going to feature in the upcoming movie Last Vegas to be released before Christmas this year.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2013, 12:45
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
HarishLearner wrote:
blueseas wrote:
adityapagadala wrote:
Whats wrong with A?

OE by KAPLAN

I'll suggest you go through OG13 sentence correction explanations when studying. Don't jump any question you get correctly. Take the pains to study the way the exam setters think and you will understand why they prefer certain structures to the other.

For example take a look at sentence 1 & 2 below:

1. The cute, cuddly monkey escaped from its cage
2. The cute and cuddly monkey escaped from its cage

Nothing is wrong with both sentences but the GMAT can throw both of them at you as options. After going through the OG explanations, you will get to understand that the GMAT prefers sentence 1 to sentence 2. Sentence 1 is more concise because it explains the idea with fewer words without losing the meaning.

Blog: The MBA Journey of an African Doctor

Blog updated: July 27, 2014

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2013, 23:38
knightofdelta wrote:
HarishLearner wrote:
blueseas wrote:
OE by KAPLAN

I'll suggest you go through OG13 sentence correction explanations when studying. Don't jump any question you get correctly. Take the pains to study the way the exam setters think and you will understand why they prefer certain structures to the other.

For example take a look at sentence 1 & 2 below:

1. The cute, cuddly monkey escaped from its cage
2. The cute and cuddly monkey escaped from its cage

Nothing is wrong with both sentences but the GMAT can throw both of them at you as options. After going through the OG explanations, you will get to understand that the GMAT prefers sentence 1 to sentence 2. Sentence 1 is more concise because it explains the idea with fewer words without losing the meaning.

I will definitely follow your advice henceforth. :-D

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2013, 23:47
Gian wrote:
HarishLearner wrote:
blueseas wrote:

OE by KAPLAN

Let me try to help.

Noun: chemical elements
Adjectives: stable, naturally occurring
Generally, it's more common and concise to place the adjectives separated with commas before the Noun. At least, this observation has worked for me when stuck between choices such as A and C which are both grammatically correct and differ only in style.

Also, C misses the word "chemical" from the sentence altogether.

Example: Robert De Niro, the oldest among all the tall, well-built actors, is going to feature in the upcoming movie Last Vegas to be released before Christmas this year.

Thanks. Got it. A very good explanation indeed !

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2015, 03:41
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 12:32
Shouldn't there be "and" between "stable" & "naturally occurring" ?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 22:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
No. It's quite common to separate two adjectives or adjective phrases with only a comma when they precede a noun, as in "The cow is a beautiful, intelligent animal." Now, if we use those adjectives predicatively, by putting them at the end after the verb, we do need "and": "This cow is beautiful and intelligent."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: Uranium, the heaviest of the stable, naturally-occurring che   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2017, 22:57

Uranium, the heaviest of the stable, naturally-occurring che

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap