GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 16:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V02-05

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
V02-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:02) correct 29% (00:57) wrong based on 66 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In order to properly understand an investor’s state of mind and gain important insights prior to a deal, a substantial period of time must be spent with the investment banker by the investor to become fully aware of the pros and cons of the investment.

A. a substantial period of time must be spent with the investment banker by the investor to become fully aware of the pros and cons of the investment.
B. the investment banker and the investor must spend a substantial amount of time together, thus ensuring full awareness of the pros and cons of the investment.
C. the investor must spend a substantial amount of time with his or her investment banker, thus ensuring that he or she has been made fully aware of the pros and cons of the investment.
D. the investment banker must spend a substantial amount of time with the investor, thus ensuring that the investor is fully aware of the pros and cons of the investment.
E. the investment banker must ensure that he or she is fully aware of the pros and cons of the investment by spending a substantial amount of time with the investor.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Re V02-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:56
Official Solution:

In order to properly understand an investor’s state of mind and gain important insights prior to a deal, a substantial period of time must be spent with the investment banker by the investor to become fully aware of the pros and cons of the investment.

A. a substantial period of time must be spent with the investment banker by the investor to become fully aware of the pros and cons of the investment.
B. the investment banker and the investor must spend a substantial amount of time together, thus ensuring full awareness of the pros and cons of the investment.
C. the investor must spend a substantial amount of time with his or her investment banker, thus ensuring that he or she has been made fully aware of the pros and cons of the investment.
D. the investment banker must spend a substantial amount of time with the investor, thus ensuring that the investor is fully aware of the pros and cons of the investment.
E. the investment banker must ensure that he or she is fully aware of the pros and cons of the investment by spending a substantial amount of time with the investor.

The sentence tells us how to gain useful insights on the investment. The non-underlined modifier should be followed by the subject of the sentence to express the meaning clearly. Therefore the underlined part of the sentence should start with "the investment banker".
  1. Incorrect, non-underlined part should begin with "the investment banker"
  2. Though, the placement of the subject is correct, the sentence suggests that both "the investor"and"the investment banker" should understand the investor's mind. Moreover the later part of the sentence does not specify whose full awareness is insured. The awareness should be of the investor.
  3. This sentence illogically suggests that the investor himself would understand his mind, making it sound nonsensical.
  4. Correct: The subject is properly placed after the initial modifier and the later part of the sentence clearly expresses that it is the investor who is assured.
  5. In this choice the placement of investment banker is correct, but the sentence incorrectly suggests that it is the investment banker who should be aware of the pros and cons of the investment as opposed to the investor.

Answer: D

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '18 (D)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: V02-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2015, 05:21
Is there a good way to discern the meaning of the sentence?

I struggled - read: guessed - to figure out whether it was the banker or the investor who was trying to become aware of the investment's pros and cons. I realise changing the meaning of a sentence is incorrect, so I spent a fair bit of time trying to understand the sentence. With the benefit of hindsight, I can see why D doesn't change the meaning of the sentence.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GPA: 3.97
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
V02-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2015, 09:36
alman888 wrote:
Is there a good way to discern the meaning of the sentence?

I struggled - read: guessed - to figure out whether it was the banker or the investor who was trying to become aware of the investment's pros and cons. I realise changing the meaning of a sentence is incorrect, so I spent a fair bit of time trying to understand the sentence. With the benefit of hindsight, I can see why D doesn't change the meaning of the sentence.

You are correct - it is changing the meaning of the sentence. Dont think too much into it, in GMAT you would never change the original meaning of the sentence.

Good help from GMATClub to provide these questions, but at some places I have a conflict with official answers as well - like this one.

Thanks

KUDOS!!!, I need them too :)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2016, 20:59
I eliminated choice D because the clause ,"thus ensuring " looked like a run on sentence where I thought the independent clauses were not properly connected. Can you help me on what I am missing.
Intern
Intern
V02-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 13:54
I think this is a nice question but the solution answer contains an error.

What this sentence implies:

For the investment banker to understand the investor's state of mind and gain prior insights on a deal, the investment banker must spend a lot of time with the investor. ---> This would ensure the investor is fully aware of the pros and cons of an investment.

It starts with the investment banker trying to figure out the investors state of mind and insights on a deal, and according to the answer, this would ensure the investor is fully aware of pros and cons of an investment. That does not seem correct.

Could someone please elaborate as to why the solution answer is correct?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 20:53
Hi Bunuel

Choice D has an error. "Thus" is not used as conjunction. There has to be a semi colon after "investor". The comma after investor is incorrect.
Thus has same usage as however, in addition to, etc., all of which use semi colon and not a comma.
Re: V02-05   [#permalink] 09 May 2018, 20:53

V02-05

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap