GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 20:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

V32-22

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V32-22  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 23:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (01:12) correct 25% (00:14) wrong based on 8 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Up until the mid-19th century, most Irish immigrants in America were members of the Protestant middle class. When the Great Potato Famine hit Ireland in 1845, close to 1 million poor and uneducated Irish Catholics began pouring into America to escape starvation. Despised for their alien religious beliefs and unfamiliar accents by the American Protestant majority, the immigrants had trouble finding even menial jobs. When Irish Americans in the country's cities took to the streets on St. Patrick's Day to celebrate their heritage, newspapers portrayed them in cartoons as drunk, violent monkeys.

The American Irish soon began to realize, however, that their large and growing numbers endowed them with a political power that had yet to be exploited. They started to organize, and their voting block, known as the "green machine," became an important swing vote for political hopefuls. Suddenly, annual St. Patrick's Day parades became a show of strength for Irish Americans, as well as a must-attend event for a slew of political candidates. In 1948, President Harry S. Truman attended New York City 's St. Patrick's Day parade, a proud moment for the many Irish Americans whose ancestors had to fight stereotypes and racial prejudice to find acceptance in the New World.

All of the following are implied by the passage EXCEPT

A. The Irish immigrants came to America to find new opportunities and break away from the scarcity in Ireland which was ravaged by the Potato Famine.
B. Green Machines were first created to exploit the growing Irish population in America and form a formidable voter group.
C. The first St. Patrick's Day celebrations were not welcomed positively by the American public.
D. Most politicians who supported the cause of the Irish immigrants were Democrats.
E. The Irish population in America had grown to more than several hundred thousands by the end of the mid 19th century.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V32-22  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 23:34
Official Solution:

Up until the mid-19th century, most Irish immigrants in America were members of the Protestant middle class. When the Great Potato Famine hit Ireland in 1845, close to 1 million poor and uneducated Irish Catholics began pouring into America to escape starvation. Despised for their alien religious beliefs and unfamiliar accents by the American Protestant majority, the immigrants had trouble finding even menial jobs. When Irish Americans in the country's cities took to the streets on St. Patrick's Day to celebrate their heritage, newspapers portrayed them in cartoons as drunk, violent monkeys.

The American Irish soon began to realize, however, that their large and growing numbers endowed them with a political power that had yet to be exploited. They started to organize, and their voting block, known as the "green machine," became an important swing vote for political hopefuls. Suddenly, annual St. Patrick's Day parades became a show of strength for Irish Americans, as well as a must-attend event for a slew of political candidates. In 1948, President Harry S. Truman attended New York City 's St. Patrick's Day parade, a proud moment for the many Irish Americans whose ancestors had to fight stereotypes and racial prejudice to find acceptance in the New World.

All of the following are implied by the passage EXCEPT

A. The Irish immigrants came to America to find new opportunities and break away from the scarcity in Ireland which was ravaged by the Potato Famine.
B. Green Machines were first created to exploit the growing Irish population in America and form a formidable voter group.
C. The first St. Patrick's Day celebrations were not welcomed positively by the American public.
D. Most politicians who supported the cause of the Irish immigrants were Democrats.
E. The Irish population in America had grown to more than several hundred thousands by the end of the mid 19th century.

The passage does not talk about the political party that the politicians came from. Option D is correct.

Answer: D

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GPA: 3.58
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: V32-22  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 22:23
Regarding Option E
. When the Great Potato Famine hit Ireland in 1845, close to 1 million poor and uneducated Irish Catholics began pouring into America to escape starvation.
The passage says that 1 million poor BEGAN pouring in . We dont know whether by mid-19th century they already poured in or not . How can we infer E .
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 08:32
Bunuel,

I agree that option D cannot be inferred. However, could you explain how option E could be inferred from the passage?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 23:32
option E can be inferred from these lines.
''The American Irish soon began to realize, however, that their large and growing numbers endowed them with a political power that had yet to be exploited."
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 23:34
Ankithamnvs wrote:
option E can be inferred from these lines.
''The American Irish soon began to realize, however, that their large and growing numbers endowed them with a political power that had yet to be exploited."
GMAT Club Bot
Re: V32-22 &nbs [#permalink] 22 Aug 2018, 23:34

V32-22

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap