GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 22 May 2018, 12:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 09:57
Hello,
Thank you in advance for answering.
I am a 26years old female from Ivory coast currently living in UK. I spent most of my life in Ivory Coast. In high school I won an award of the best student of my category in the whole country. I did my a level (baccalaureat litteraire) in literature focusing in English,Spanish, history, philosophy and math.
I went to the best university of the country.Even though that university only accept people for scientific background,they did made an exception for me, accept my application and made me take a math test before grant me a place there. I was admitted to the three years program, got a scholarship for three years during those years I was ranked 1st of my class. They then offered me a place in the engineering program, renewed my scholarship for two years, and offered me a two months exchange in UK. Again I took the first place among my peers. In my last year I got recruited by PwC. I spent 9 months there, submitted my thesis and declined a full time offer from them.
To sum up I got 4 as GPA.
I declined PwC offer because I wanted an experience abroad and wanted to have more knowledge in finance, I went to UK and did a MSc in finance (top 15).Due to an accident that happened to me at the beginning of my term, I ended up with a low GPA of 3.7 (2.1).

-Work experience from old to recent:
2months summer internship as account assistant in a microfinance company
8months work experience in a big 4 as a financial auditor
I have been running the family business since I was in my 2nd year at Uni. I expand our business from B2C to B2B, created opportunities outside the country. Now we have our own production facilities, client abroad and retailers buy the product to export it .
I am currently having experience in a fortune 20 as a digital architect and PMO in London

Extracurricular activities
- I was the Vice president of the dancing club in my high school (we were 2nd in a national competition)
- my first two years at Uni I was running the English and literature club of the Freshers
- I became a year later the Project manager of a student start up operating in management,marketing for a year
- the year after I was elected the president of that start up I expanded our activities,improved our revenue by 20% the first year by expanding our activities and clients portfolio.It led me to a second mandate
The second year was even better we had the same growth in term of revenue and profit. One of the client decided to hire me,he made me an offer but I had already accepted the offer of the big 4 so I declined.

I actively participated in Rotaract activities, and st Egidio working with orphans, offering medical kits and working on various projects.
I was also an activist in the LGBT community in my country, counseling and being there for everyone.
I am currently teaching some Basic IT to seniors people here in London
And next month I will start volunteering on weekends for British heart Foundation as well.
Post MBA: Strategy consulting, continue to grow the family business (food industry)

I haven't prepared for the GMAT yet,I got the books today...planning to read,get ready and take it because I would like to apply for the 1st round I'm September 2018.

So my questions are:
Is my work in my family business considered as work experience?
Which score of GMAT should I get to get into top 10 first round?
Can I get into the top 10?

Thanks,

Sorry again for the long story

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]GMAT Club Forum mobile app[/url]
Intern
Intern
B
Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 10:27
Please evaluate my profile for my dream school !

Bio : 28, Male, Pakistani
Education : B.E. Mechanical (3.36/4.00 CGPA) from NUST on partial scholarship (Ranked 1st in Pakistan in Engineering)
M.S Mechanical (3.75/4.00 CGPA) from KFUPM on full scholarship (Ranked 1st in Middle East)
Work experience : Post B.E - Dutch MNC (in Pak) - Project Engineer for 10 months (discontinued to pursue MS)
Post M.S - Saudi Chemical Company (Not MNC/fairly unknown)- Plant Engineer for 3 years - no promotions
Test Scores : GMAT 750, TOEFL iBT 115
Other achievements : Attended international conferences in USA and China during MS program. International journal publications.
Volunteer/EC : Active in societies and office holder during B.E. None after that.
Participated in earth quake relief. No formal association with NGO.
Extra : Lead the first ever team to Shell Eco Marathon in Malaysia (during B.E.), raised funding for competition etc.
Post MBA concentration: Management Consulting

With above profile, is MIT Sloan doable ?
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S
Reviews Badge
Re: Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 20:02
TinanGoli, I just responded to your same post in our Ask mbaMissioon thread:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/please-could ... l#p2014528

Thanks!
Kate

TinanGoli wrote:
Hello,
Thank you in advance for answering.
I am a 26years old female from Ivory coast currently living in UK. I spent most of my life in Ivory Coast. In high school I won an award of the best student of my category in the whole country. I did my a level (baccalaureat litteraire) in literature focusing in English,Spanish, history, philosophy and math.
I went to the best university of the country.Even though that university only accept people for scientific background,they did made an exception for me, accept my application and made me take a math test before grant me a place there. I was admitted to the three years program, got a scholarship for three years during those years I was ranked 1st of my class. They then offered me a place in the engineering program, renewed my scholarship for two years, and offered me a two months exchange in UK. Again I took the first place among my peers. In my last year I got recruited by PwC. I spent 9 months there, submitted my thesis and declined a full time offer from them.
To sum up I got 4 as GPA.
I declined PwC offer because I wanted an experience abroad and wanted to have more knowledge in finance, I went to UK and did a MSc in finance (top 15).Due to an accident that happened to me at the beginning of my term, I ended up with a low GPA of 3.7 (2.1).

-Work experience from old to recent:
2months summer internship as account assistant in a microfinance company
8months work experience in a big 4 as a financial auditor
I have been running the family business since I was in my 2nd year at Uni. I expand our business from B2C to B2B, created opportunities outside the country. Now we have our own production facilities, client abroad and retailers buy the product to export it .
I am currently having experience in a fortune 20 as a digital architect and PMO in London

Extracurricular activities
- I was the Vice president of the dancing club in my high school (we were 2nd in a national competition)
- my first two years at Uni I was running the English and literature club of the Freshers
- I became a year later the Project manager of a student start up operating in management,marketing for a year
- the year after I was elected the president of that start up I expanded our activities,improved our revenue by 20% the first year by expanding our activities and clients portfolio.It led me to a second mandate
The second year was even better we had the same growth in term of revenue and profit. One of the client decided to hire me,he made me an offer but I had already accepted the offer of the big 4 so I declined.

I actively participated in Rotaract activities, and st Egidio working with orphans, offering medical kits and working on various projects.
I was also an activist in the LGBT community in my country, counseling and being there for everyone.
I am currently teaching some Basic IT to seniors people here in London
And next month I will start volunteering on weekends for British heart Foundation as well.
Post MBA: Strategy consulting, continue to grow the family business (food industry)

I haven't prepared for the GMAT yet,I got the books today...planning to read,get ready and take it because I would like to apply for the 1st round I'm September 2018.

So my questions are:
Is my work in my family business considered as work experience?
Which score of GMAT should I get to get into top 10 first round?
Can I get into the top 10?

Thanks,

Sorry again for the long story

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]GMAT Club Forum mobile app[/url]

Kate Richardson
Senior Consultant, mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Expert Post
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 20:10
Hi altairahmad -

I think Sloan is possible, but may be challenging. I would go for it, but make sure you have some backup options too. In particular, Sloan sees many applicants from an engineering background, and your GPA is slightly low (Sloan's average is 3.6). Plus as you point out your company now is not well known and you haven't had any promotions. So, make sure there is other evidence of your increasing responsibilities and impact (resume, recommendations). I do think your experience working in different countries and for the MNC previously will be valuable though. And your test scores are excellent.

It also seems your extracurriculars could use a boost -- there's still time to add new roles or expand existing ones before round 1!

Best of luck!
Kate

altairahmad wrote:
Please evaluate my profile for my dream school !

Bio : 28, Male, Pakistani
Education : B.E. Mechanical (3.36/4.00 CGPA) from NUST on partial scholarship (Ranked 1st in Pakistan in Engineering)
M.S Mechanical (3.75/4.00 CGPA) from KFUPM on full scholarship (Ranked 1st in Middle East)
Work experience : Post B.E - Dutch MNC (in Pak) - Project Engineer for 10 months (discontinued to pursue MS)
Post M.S - Saudi Chemical Company (Not MNC/fairly unknown)- Plant Engineer for 3 years - no promotions
Test Scores : GMAT 750, TOEFL iBT 115
Other achievements : Attended international conferences in USA and China during MS program. International journal publications.
Volunteer/EC : Active in societies and office holder during B.E. None after that.
Participated in earth quake relief. No formal association with NGO.
Extra : Lead the first ever team to Shell Eco Marathon in Malaysia (during B.E.), raised funding for competition etc.
Post MBA concentration: Management Consulting

With above profile, is MIT Sloan doable ?

Kate Richardson

mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 22:53
Indian, Female, 30 Years

GMAT – 720

Undergrad: Bachelor of Technology (Electrical Engineering) – (Non-IIT---top 5% in the university) – (2004-2008)-4.0 GPA
Grad: Master of Science (Computer Science) – Univ of California, Davis – (2010-2013)-3.6 GPA

Work Experience:
After Undegrad:
Lectureship at Government Engineering College (2008-2010)
Mentor at Training and Placement Cell for the students at that college
After Masters:
Software Engineer at Cisco Systems, San Jose from 2012-present, with one promotion.
-Leading the team as a senior software engineer,
-Interaction with marketing (product management/TMEs) and marketing for narrowing down the features customer ask for
-leading cross functional team for delivering software successfully
-driving from front the customer serviceability requests for our products

Extra Curriculars –
- Volunteering at a certain Engineering College in India for placement guidance, campus preparation and resume review.
- Organizing various events in our Business Unit at Cisco, from Socials or Picnics to hackathon etc.
- Mentoring new hires and Interns
- Organizing volunteering activities for our cross-functional group at Cisco.
- Part of team organizing fund-raising (In Silicon Valley) for education of underprivileged children in India.
- Organized Hepatitis B vaccination drive at my mother's work place (one of the most reputed banks in India) for 5 consecutive years

Hobbies -
- Dance (founder of dance/drama club in my undergrad college)
- sports (winner of University badminton championships in undergrad for 3 years, stopped after knee injury)

Achievements:
- Won multiple hackathons at Cisco (couple of them where I was the team leader)
- Won multiple awards at Cisco for recognizing my performance and leadership
- Won scholarship till under graduation from State Bank Of India on Merit

Please advice if Sloan is achievable or is a stretch?
Expert Post
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 12:33
Hi SSM2019!

There are a few things that stand out to me in your profile. First is your experience studying and working in the US. That will definitely help differentiate your application from a very crowded pool of Indian applicants. Second is that you've clearly been a top performer at work with the awards, competition wins, promotion. I hope that means you will have really strong recommendation letters. Third is that on top of that, you've been really involved and a contributor to your team and office culture, I think Sloan in particular will really value those contributions.

There are some challenges in your profile, namely the demographic one, but I think also GMAT is not helping. I would advise a retake if possible. Right now, I think Sloan is a stretch; with a higher GMAT and excellent execution of your application, plus other personal factors that are hard to evaluate over email :) I think you could have a good shot.

Feel free to reach out to us if you'd like to chat further: https://www.mbamission.com/consult/
Best of luck!
Kate

SSM2019 wrote:
Indian, Female, 30 Years

GMAT – 720

Undergrad: Bachelor of Technology (Electrical Engineering) – (Non-IIT---top 5% in the university) – (2004-2008)-4.0 GPA
Grad: Master of Science (Computer Science) – Univ of California, Davis – (2010-2013)-3.6 GPA

Work Experience:
After Undegrad:
Lectureship at Government Engineering College (2008-2010)
Mentor at Training and Placement Cell for the students at that college
After Masters:
Software Engineer at Cisco Systems, San Jose from 2012-present, with one promotion.
-Leading the team as a senior software engineer,
-Interaction with marketing (product management/TMEs) and marketing for narrowing down the features customer ask for
-leading cross functional team for delivering software successfully
-driving from front the customer serviceability requests for our products

Extra Curriculars –
- Volunteering at a certain Engineering College in India for placement guidance, campus preparation and resume review.
- Organizing various events in our Business Unit at Cisco, from Socials or Picnics to hackathon etc.
- Mentoring new hires and Interns
- Organizing volunteering activities for our cross-functional group at Cisco.
- Part of team organizing fund-raising (In Silicon Valley) for education of underprivileged children in India.
- Organized Hepatitis B vaccination drive at my mother's work place (one of the most reputed banks in India) for 5 consecutive years

Hobbies -
- Dance (founder of dance/drama club in my undergrad college)
- sports (winner of University badminton championships in undergrad for 3 years, stopped after knee injury)

Achievements:
- Won multiple hackathons at Cisco (couple of them where I was the team leader)
- Won multiple awards at Cisco for recognizing my performance and leadership
- Won scholarship till under graduation from State Bank Of India on Merit

Please advice if Sloan is achievable or is a stretch?

Kate Richardson

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 13:24
mbaMissionKate, thanks for reviewing the profile. I am planning to retake the GMAT and hoping for a 750 score (my practice scores are in 730-750 range)

Yes, I will be able to get good recommendation from my team lead and from the head of volunteering organization where I volunteer.

I am curious if it helps that I am a permanent resident and will be a US citizen at the time of 2019 class start. Will it address my demographic constraints?
Expert Post
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 18:18
That's great. Excellent practice scores. That will help your chances. The citizenship change will help too, as that makes you even more employable post-MBA. My evaluation is looking brighter now :-)

SSM2019 wrote:
mbaMissionKate, thanks for reviewing the profile. I am planning to retake the GMAT and hoping for a 750 score (my practice scores are in 730-750 range)

Yes, I will be able to get good recommendation from my team lead and from the head of volunteering organization where I volunteer.

I am curious if it helps that I am a permanent resident and will be a US citizen at the time of 2019 class start. Will it address my demographic constraints?

Kate Richardson

Re: Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2018, 18:18

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 68 posts ] 

Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap