GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 13:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Why Can't You Score a Perfect 60 on Quant or Verbal? My Theory.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
Why Can't You Score a Perfect 60 on Quant or Verbal? My Theory.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 Jul 2016, 20:01
Top Contributor
I am a professional GMAT tutor who is still on his own quest for a perfect 800 on the GMAT, and this issue has been nagging at me for some time.

According to the GMAC, test scores on both Quant and Verbal range from 0-60. However, the evidence has reliably shown that the best possible Quant and Verbal scores are actually 51, not 60.

My theory: students who actually should have scored 60/60--all 28 (Quant) or all 30 (Verbal) questions that counted correct--are given 51s. Why? Because given the adaptive nature of the GMAT, where a correct answer usually yields a harder question until the difficulty level is literally off the charts, this is so unlikely that the GMAC just went ahead and clumped all the top Quant/Verbal scorers into the Q51 category, whether they got all the questions that counted right, or around 95% of those questions right.

Still, it is frustrating that the GMAC seems to be clinging to its claim that you can score higher than 51, when all available evidence points to the contrary.

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club.)

...or find me on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 31 Jul 2016, 16:29.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 31 Jul 2016, 20:01, edited 11 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Re: Why Can't You Score a Perfect 60 on Quant or Verbal? My Theory.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2016, 16:48
Do you have any student that has actually answered all counted questions correctly on a real test?

Posted from my mobile device

Are you aiming for a 700+ GMAT score and a top 10 MBA?
If you are, we should talk. I specialize in ambitious students.

$80/hour as of May 2018.

http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Feb 2018, 16:21
Top Contributor
HanoiGMATtutor wrote:
Do you have any student that has actually answered all counted questions correctly on a real test?

Posted from my mobile device

Not that I know of (not all of my students have had the benefit of / taken advantage of the Enhanced Score Report, which provides some of this information). It would be helpful to see an ESR from someone who got every question right, but I haven't seen one of those yet (maybe because it's virtually impossible!).

That being said, there have been been thousands of debriefs on GMAT club, and not one of the section scores I've seen has been higher than 51 on either Verbal or Quant, other than the occasional fake one where someone got a little crazy with the Photoshop.

If someone out there has evidence to the contrary, then please feel free to disprove me. It's just a working theory of mine at the moment.

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 31 Jul 2016, 17:25.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 24 Feb 2018, 16:21, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
Re: Why Can't You Score a Perfect 60 on Quant or Verbal? My Theory.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2018, 11:56
Hi mcelroytutoring and HanoiGMATtutor

Hi guys, I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd throw a data point your way: I got a 51V in 2016. I later ordered my ESR and found out that I'd gotten 100% of the questions correct. So as far as I can tell, 51V must be the absolute maximum.

I was surprised to see that the difficulty level of my questions was rated as medium up until the final fourth of the exam, when it went to medium-high. How weird!

I excerpted the two pages of the ESR that deal with verbal and have uploaded them in case there's anything else there useful for you guys.

FYI, I'm a tutor, too. I've been coaching GMAT verbal since 2013, and added quant when I moved from Paris to Berlin in 2015. I've been working for other people all this time, but will soon be heading out on my own, so I'll likely become a more frequent visitor to these here parts. ;)
Attachments

Jennifer P Draeger ESR Excerpt - Verbal.pdf [274.04 KiB]
Downloaded 73 times

To download please login or register as a user

Independent GMAT Coach with students on 6 continents

Personal 99th percentile score (770). Based in Berlin and previously in Paris, ich spreche auch deutsch/je parle aussi français.
With five years' experience, I am expert in coaching non-native speakers to outstanding performance.

Visit my University Tutor profile

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2018, 16:17
Top Contributor
Thanks for the contribution, jennpt !

Yes, ESR research so far has confirmed that you need to answer all 30 counted questions correctly on Verbal to earn a perfect V51. In fact, just 1 wrong will drop you down to a V48.

As for Quant, you can get 0, 1, or even 2 wrong in some cases and still earn a Q51. On the other hand, I have also seen an example of a Q50 with only 1 counted question wrong.

Finally, it is also possible to score Q51, V51, 790, thus missing a perfect composite score of 800 by the narrowest of margins. This occurs when you receive a perfect score on Quant and Verbal, but answer at least one question incorrectly on Quant.

In other words, you have to answer all 58 (counted) Quant and Verbal questions correctly to earn a perfect 800.

-Brian

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 08:23
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Thanks for the contribution, jennpt !

Yes, ESR research so far has confirmed that you need to answer all 30 counted questions correctly on Verbal to earn a perfect V51. In fact, just 1 wrong will drop you down to a V48.

As for Quant, you can get 0, 1, or even 2 wrong in some cases and still earn a Q51. On the other hand, I have also seen an example of a Q50 with only 1 counted question wrong.

Finally, it is also possible to score Q51, V51, 790, thus missing a perfect composite score of 800 by the narrowest of margins. This occurs when you receive a perfect score on Quant and Verbal, but answer at least one question incorrectly on Quant.

In other words, you have to answer all 58 (counted) Quant and Verbal questions correctly to earn a perfect 800.

-Brian

Hi,

It's really interesting that why GMAC doesn't disclose its grading method clearly. Why it should be a secret?:) I have another question though, what do you mean by counted question?Are there uncounted questions too?

If time was on my side, I'd still have none to waste......

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Apr 2018, 09:24
Top Contributor
Mehemmed wrote:
Hi,

It's really interesting that why GMAC doesn't disclose its grading method clearly. Why it should be a secret?:) I have another question though, what do you mean by counted question?Are there uncounted questions too?

Hi Mehemmed,

Yes, there are uncounted questions--quite a lot of them, in fact (23 of 90 total).

GMAC calls them "pretest" questions, but I like to refer to them as experimental questions. They (supposedly) do not count at all toward your score and are used for research purposes only.

On the real GMAT, there are 11 experimentals on Verbal, 9 on Quant, and 3 IR, for 25.6% of the test.

-Brian

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 01 Apr 2018, 08:36.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 01 Apr 2018, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 08:45
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Mehemmed wrote:
Hi,

Yes, there are uncounted questions--quite a lot of them, in fact (23 of 90 total).

GMAC calls them "pretest" questions, but I like to refer to them as experimental questions. They (supposedly) do not count at all toward your score and are used for research purposes only.

On the real GMAT, there are 11 experimentals on Verbal, 9 on Quant, and 3 IR, for 25.6% of the test.

-Brian

Thanks for the info. I knew that there are experimental questions on GRE, but I wasn't aware of that is the case on GMAT as well.

If time was on my side, I'd still have none to waste......

GMAT Club Bot
Why Can't You Score a Perfect 60 on Quant or Verbal? My Theory. &nbs [#permalink] 01 Apr 2018, 08:45

Why Can't You Score a Perfect 60 on Quant or Verbal? My Theory.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap