It is currently 18 Jan 2018, 13:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Q51 V50 790! (Missed 1 DS question)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 21

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Re: Q51 V50 790! (Missed 1 DS question) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 13:07
mcelroytutoring wrote:
IanStewart wrote:
One wrong answer in Verbal usually produces a V49 or V50 score, and would only produce a V48 if the wrong answer were on an easier question (except in unusual circumstances, where the test was unusually easy overall). You can see that just by experimenting with GMATPrep tests, or from the fact that people report getting V49 scores on the real test.

Theoretically, this is true, but after searching GMAT Club (and the rest of the internet) high and low, I see no concrete evidence that scores of V49 or V50 are possible with one counted question wrong. Could you please point me to an ESR that supports this assertion? If you look at my example of the V48 with one wrong ESR posted above, you will notice that the test-taker did not answer a question incorrectly until the final quarter of questions, which suggests that this question was of high difficulty, not low difficulty.

The first time I took the GMAT I scored V50. Given what my skill level was at the time, it totally makes sense that I would have gotten one wrong. I don't think I got them all right and scored V50.

Meanwhile, somewhat easy questions do show up later in the quant and verbal sections. So, it is conceivable that that person who scored V48 with one wrong missed a relatively easy one.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 21

Top Contributor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)

Kudos [?]: 583 [0], given: 63

GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
Q51 V50 790! (Missed 1 DS question) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 13:39
Top Contributor
If you scored V50 and not V51, then yes, you probably got at least one question wrong. But the question is: was it an experimental question, or one of the 30 counted questions? If the question or questions you got wrong were experimental, then your first attempt on Verbal would potentially match the test-day performance of the OP exactly. (It could also be that the scoring scale has shifted slightly over the years.)

I'm guessing that this V50 test to which you are referring is now over 5 years old, and you don't have an ESR, so we will never know for sure.

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and online via Skype, since 2002.

GMAT Action Plan - McElroy Tutoring

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 15

Schools: Booth '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 23:55
Aw man just almost! J/k. Congratulations on the 790. And thank you for sharing the ESR.

I wonder if anyone has actually contacted the GMAC to ask about the V50 situation. Does anybody have any info?

Offering top quality online and offline GMAT tutoring in SoCal and worldwide.

$60/hour as of November 2017.

http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 15

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
S

Kudos [?]: 2082 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 15:05
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Theoretically, this is true, but after searching GMAT Club (and the rest of the internet) high and low, I see no concrete evidence that scores of V49 or V50 are possible with one counted question wrong.

I don't understand what you think a V49-scoring test taker is doing besides answering one question incorrectly, if you think that with only one incorrect answer you can sometimes get a V48.

And you cannot use the score ranges for incoming MBA classes as any evidence of current scoring practices, since GMAT scores are valid for five years. That one school reports accepting a V51-scorer this year doesn't tell you anything about whether V51 scores are still awarded on the GMAT, only that they were awarded at some point in the past five years.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 2082 [0], given: 6

Top Contributor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 18:35
Top Contributor
IanStewart wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Theoretically, this is true, but after searching GMAT Club (and the rest of the internet) high and low, I see no concrete evidence that scores of V49 or V50 are possible with one counted question wrong.
I don't understand what you think a V49-scoring test taker is doing besides answering one question incorrectly, if you think that with only one incorrect answer you can sometimes get a V48.

To be clear, I don't "think" that 1 (counted) question wrong can result in a V48 score. We have concrete evidence of that, in the form of an ESR (see below):

As far as a score of V49, I think there are a few possibilities. One is that a score of V49 simply doesn't exist (you might skip directly from 48 to 50, or vice-versa). Another is that you get some experimental questions wrong, but zero counted questions wrong. The final possibility would be that you get 1 counted question wrong--presumably a harder question than the 1 question incorrectly answered by the person who scores a V48. But the fact remains that we don't have any verified V49 or V50 scores with 1 (counted) question wrong anywhere on GMAT Club, so there is no way to know for sure just yet.

Good point about GMAT scores being valid for 5 years--hence, it is true that HBS's class of 2019 admission stats are not necessarily indicative that a V51 is still possible. I do know of a GMAT Club user who scored a confirmed V51, but his score is over 5 years old. It could very well be that a V50 is now a perfect score. However, if we take the GMAC website at its word, then a 51V is still possible (see below).

UPDATE 1/4/17: SEE THIS DEBRIEF FOR MORE DISCUSSION OF THE SAME PHENOMENON.

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and online via Skype, since 2002.

Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 14 Jan 2018, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 17:21
This post received
KUDOS
mcelroytutoring wrote:
If you scored V50 and not V51, then yes, you probably got at least one question wrong. But the question is: was it an experimental question, or one of the 30 counted questions? If the question or questions you got wrong were experimental, then your first attempt on Verbal would potentially match the test-day performance of the OP exactly. (It could also be that the scoring scale has shifted slightly over the years.)

I'm guessing that this V50 test to which you are referring is now over 5 years old, and you don't have an ESR, so we will never know for sure.

I would like to propose a consideration that hasn't been discussed previously. As of July 2017, the test taker can select in which order to take the different sections. Choosing to take Q --> V --> IR --> AWA or V --> Q --> IR --> AWA, as opposed to the original order, may induce the algorithm to apply a "discount" to some verbal questions and thus inhibit the test taker from achieving a perfect score, despite 100% accuracy. Keep in mind that the algorithm compares test takers going back three years, so those that had taken the test prior to the introduction of the order selection weren't as privileged.

This is of course a mere speculation, but it shouldn't be entirely impossible that the algorithm ranks individuals separately based on order selection.

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 15

Top Contributor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 19:57
Top Contributor
I doubt that this is the case. GMAC has assured us that in its preliminary studies, the selection of alternate section orders--in other words, allowing students to complete Quant and Verbal first, in either order--has had no effect on the "integrity of GMAT scores." Neither has GMAC suggested in any way that one's chosen section order could somehow affect the scoring of the test.

Q51 V50 790! (Missed 1 DS question)   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2018, 19:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 47 posts ] 

Q51 V50 790! (Missed 1 DS question)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR JANUARY
Math Revolution - Free Free Diagnostic Quant Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
examPAL - Free Video Course A complete on-demand GMAT course
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap