GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 03:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 162
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2009, 08:03
1
21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (00:50) correct 49% (00:57) wrong based on 843 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.

(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract

Lets get the rulez going... need to nail this topic
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4525
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Clevela  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2015, 02:05
3
6
First thing: looking at is wrong; we say look at only when we look at something physically; On the contrary, looking to means hoping to. Second, the subject is definitely the plural communities; hence the verb should be ‘are’ and not ‘is’.

(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract -- wrong as per the second point
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract – wrong as per the first point
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract—correct choice
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting – are looking to its--- pronoun agreement error.
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract – Wrong as per point 1.
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Posts: 58
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Clevela  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2009, 19:17
14
8
tarek99 wrote:
prinits wrote:
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.
(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract



I choose option C.

We need "that are" because the "that" is referring to "communities. So we're left with options C, D, and E. D must be eliminated because it uses "its", which is wrong because it's suppose to refer to "communities." Between options C and E, I pick C because I find it more concise than option E.



C, IMO. Clearly A and B are out because of is looking

among C,D and E, D is out. are looking to its is erroneous.

C and E. Well, in E, you have looking at and in C, you have looking to.

What are you looking at? I am looking at this wall painting -- check the intention of the usage of looking at. The usage is clearly not suited for this SC statement; you just look at something as in 'You are looking at somebody improve something'

What are you doing? I am looking to improve my GMAT verbal. You can't look at improving your GMAT verbal!

so it is C
_________________

Is this okay?

General Discussion
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1447
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Clevela  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2009, 12:30
5
1
prinits wrote:
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.
(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract



I choose option C.

We need "that are" because the "that" is referring to "communities. So we're left with options C, D, and E. D must be eliminated because it uses "its", which is wrong because it's suppose to refer to "communities." Between options C and E, I pick C because I find it more concise than option E.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Posts: 304
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2012, 18:14
3
In this question, we want 'looking to', as the cities are looking to their waterfronts to help out (the cities are not literally viewing their waterfronts, the way 'looking at' implies). So we can get rid of (B) and (E). Next, we have 'but one...large number...communities that'. Because the relative clause is modifying communities, we want the plural form, 'are' and the plural pronoun 'their', which leaves us with (C).
_________________

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep


Image

Image

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2012
Posts: 98
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2013, 23:37
Although the answer is C, what about option E

(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract

Is this incorrect because it is a run-on sentence. Or whether it has an issue with using "as a way"

Experts ,please comment...
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 1075
Location: United States
Premium Member
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2013, 00:47
1
btg9788 wrote:
Although the answer is C, what about option E

(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract

Is this incorrect because it is a run-on sentence. Or whether it has an issue with using "as a way"

Experts ,please comment...


Hi btg9788

E has two problems:

(1) Idiom "as a way".
The correct usage are "as a way to do some thing" or "as a way of doing something"
However, E uses "as a way they can ....." that is not idiomatic.

(2) "Look at" vs "Look to"

"Looking at" is a physical action. For example, I'm looking at you.
So, "look at their waterfront as a way" is not correct. You cannot physically look at something as a way to do something.

"Look to" means "expect to get help" or "hope". So, it conveys correct meaning.
For example: He looks to me to help improve his company sales figures. ==> He hopes I can help him improve his company sales.

C is correct. The structure is "looking to X to do Y.....and do Z..."

Hope it helps.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2012
Posts: 89
Schools: IIMA
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Clevela  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2014, 23:42
1
1
Among so many rules for S-V , this sentence is exception

When discussing fractions or percentages, always get the verb to agree with the subject after the preposition. This is an exception to the preposition rule discussed earlier.
e.g. Half of the money is stolen
e.g. Half of the books are stolen

Hope it helps :)
_________________

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 871
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2014, 05:30
2
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.

A. is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract --- Subject - Verb error.
B. is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract --- Subject verb error.
C. are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract --- Right answer.
D. are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting --- pronoun its is not right.
E. are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract --- looking at changes meaning-- rest of the sentence is wordy.


looking to VS looking at.
looking to implies look forward in metaphorical sense.
looking at implies looking literally at something.
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2014
Posts: 3
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GPA: 3.61
WE: Operations (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 08:11
Hi Guys, can someone please explain 2 quick things to me

1. Why is Cleveland not the subject, hence the use of it? or is this one of those "addictives cannot from a compound subject" scenario?
2. "looking to their waterfronts to improve" vs. "looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract" - the former seems to suggest that the "Waterfront" will improve the quality of urban life?? That can't be logically correct? The option in choice E is wordy

I am probably missing something

Thanks
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 976
Location: Bangalore, India
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 10:29
anyibuofu wrote:
1. Why is Cleveland not the subject, hence the use of it? or is this one of those "addictives cannot from a compound subject" scenario?

Basically the meaning of the sentence is:

There are large number of communities (on the Great Lakes) that are looking to their waterfronts; Cleveland is but one of them.

In fact, the above subject-verb agreement pattern is pretty much consistent across all such sentence structures; the one exception to this arises from the word only. So, if this sentence used only, then the sentence would be:

Cleveland is the only one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront..........

anyibuofu wrote:
2. "looking to their waterfronts to improve" vs. "looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract" - the former seems to suggest that the "Waterfront" will improve the quality of urban life?? That can't be logically correct?

Not necessarily. For example: Peter uses stick to walk clearly does not mean that the stick walks.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1152
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Clevela  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 03:07
2
GMAT do test the agreement in the pattern

ONE OF THE NOUNS WHICH ARE

I think this point is hard and purely grammatically. this point require remembering more thang meaning analysis
_________________

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2015
Posts: 236
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Clevela  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 22:03
1
He is one of the many who have scored a century.

Have is a plural verb. Many is making the subject plural. Similarly, Cleveland is one the many communities is to be followed by a plural verb. This eliminated A,B.

C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract Example, I am looking forward to GMAT to get my life on track

(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting its is a wrong pronoun for a plural subject. Hence, eliminate D

(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract
as a way by which is correct usage. But, that still makes the statement loose meaning

Hence C
_________________

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jun 2015
Posts: 85
WE: Design (Aerospace and Defense)
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Clevela  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 19:25
My pick was B
Please correct me if i am wrong. "That'' before the underlined sentence is a demonstrative pronoun. So it should be followed by 'is' because that is singular.Had it been referring to communities it should be 'those' instead of 'that' because 'that' is always singular and 'those' is plural.

Why cant Cleveland be considered as collective noun so that it can be used as singular.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4525
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Clevela  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 21:59
2
1
Pkm:

Relative pronoun ‘which’ when preceded by a comma, has some freedom to refer to a noun farther than the preceding one. The pronoun ‘that’ does not enjoy such a freedom. It can only refer to the noun it touches. That is why it is called a restrictive pronoun. In this case, communities are the correct referent.

Between ‘that and those’: Can you replace ‘those’ in the place of ‘that’ and see how it works? This is how the choice C will be:
Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes those are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses. --- Does this make any meaning?

Another reason is that, ‘that’ is also a subordinate conjunction that connects the subordinate clause to the main clause, while ‘those’ is not a conjunction.

In addition, relative pronouns assume the characteristics of the noun they touch in terms of number and gender.

You said something about Cleveland being used as a collective noun. I assume that you probably meant the ‘communities’ to be used as a collective noun. When we say ‘community’, that can be termed a collective noun, because ‘community, includes the various members that belong to the said single community. But when you say communities, then it does refer to the various countable communities that are part of those communities. Same as in fish and fishes.

HTH
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8188
Location: Pune, India
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Clevela  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 23:41
3
2
pkm9995109794 wrote:
My pick was B
Please correct me if i am wrong. "That'' before the underlined sentence is a demonstrative pronoun. So it should be followed by 'is' because that is singular.Had it been referring to communities it should be 'those' instead of 'that' because 'that' is always singular and 'those' is plural.

Why cant Cleveland be considered as collective noun so that it can be used as singular.


Responding to a pm:

"that" acts as a relative pronoun here. Its antecedent is "a large number of communities" which is plural and hence it takes a plural verb "are". You cannot use "those" as a relative pronoun.

Take some simple examples. The relative pronouns are underlined.

She is one of the those people who love singing.
We have many board games that require logical reasoning.

The antecedents of who and that are plural.

Which is better?
She is one of the those people who love singing.
She is one of the those people who loves singing.

Is statement 2 correct? Wouldn't we say: "She is a person who loves singing" instead of "She is one of the those people who loves singing"
What is the point of introducing "those people" if we are not going to talk about them? The sentence is not sensible.

In our original sentence, the relative clause "that are looking to their waterfronts ..." modifies "a large number of communities" which is the same as "many communities".
Cleveland is just one of those communities that are looking to...
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Save up to $1,000 on GMAT prep through 8/20! Learn more here >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2016
Posts: 197
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Clevela  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 23:58
prinits wrote:
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.

(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract


Hey DmitryFarber and abhimahna , could you please help me understand the difference between "looking to" and "looking at".
I am tied up between E and C.
_________________

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: Aiming MBA!!
Joined: 19 Aug 2017
Posts: 137
Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 00:45
rekhabishop wrote:
prinits wrote:
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.

(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract


Hey DmitryFarber and abhimahna , could you please help me understand the difference between "looking to" and "looking at".
I am tied up between E and C.


Hi there,

Let me try to help you.

Both the usages are different on the basis of the implied meaning. As per the previous discussions, I am just reiterating which use is correct in which context,

Looking At : when you are looking at something physically
For Example, I am looking at the beautiful picture on the mobile phone.

Looking To : Trying to or Hoping to. For Example,
I am looking to improve my overall timing in GMAT. - Correct
I am looking at improving my overall timing in GMAT. - InCorrect

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks.
-Varun
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: Target 760
Joined: 20 Aug 2014
Posts: 60
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.25
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 10:28
3
ConkergMat wrote:
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.

(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract

Lets get the rulez going... need to nail this topic


That works as a relative pronoun for communities, so plural verbs are required.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Feb 2017
Posts: 40
Reviews Badge
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 05:17
Please explain the concept of 'one' when to use 'are' and 'is' ?
Thanks :)
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land &nbs [#permalink] 14 Jan 2018, 05:17

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.