[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/check_new_recommended_questions.php on line 37: Undefined array key "last_recommended_questions_epoch"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/check_new_recommended_questions.php on line 41: Undefined array key "last_recommended_questions_epoch"
With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certa : Critical Reasoning (CR)
Last visit was: 20 Jul 2024, 02:57 It is currently 20 Jul 2024, 02:57
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 705-805 Level,   Weaken,                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 2405
Own Kudos [?]: 10140 [843]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Joined: 27 Jan 2013
Posts: 84
Own Kudos [?]: 484 [313]
Given Kudos: 41
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2402
Own Kudos [?]: 15324 [85]
Given Kudos: 26
Location: Germany
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Current Student
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 1171
Own Kudos [?]: 20975 [35]
Given Kudos: 926
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Re: With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certa [#permalink]
23
Kudos
12
Bookmarks
walker wrote:
With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certain state. Although intent on expanding, it was outmaneuvered by Apex Casinos in negotiations to acquire the Eldorado chain. To complete its acquisition of Eldorado, Apex must sell five casinos to comply with a state law forbidding any owner to operate more than one casino per county. Since Apex will still be left operation twenty casinos in the state, it will then have the most casinos in the state.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the prediction?

A) Apex, Eldorado, and Moneyland are the only organizations licensed to operate casinos in the state.
B) The majority of Eldorado's casinos in the state will need extensive renovations if they are to continue to operate profitably.
C) Some of the state's counties do not permit casinos.
D) Moneyland already operates casinos in the majority of the state's counties.
E) Apex will use funds it obtains from the sale of the five casinos to help fund its acquisition of the Eldorado chain.


Casino Negotiations

Step 1: Identify the Question

The word undermines in the question stem indicates that this is a Weaken the Argument question.

Step 2: Deconstruct the Argument

M: 17 casinos (most in state)

A: acquired E chain of casinos

A must sell 5 casinos, 20 left → © A will have most

Step 3: Pause and State the Goal

In a Weaken question, the right answer will make the conclusion less likely to be correct. Here, the conclusion is that Apex Casinos will have the most casinos in the state, after it completes its acquisition of Eldorado. The right answer will show how Apex could actually not have the most casinos in the state. It will likely do this by showing that Moneyland will acquire more casinos, that Apex will lose more casinos, or that a third entity will have more casinos than Apex.

Step 4: Work from Wrong to Right

(A) CORRECT. As part of its overall plan, Apex is required to sell five casinos. If Apex doesn’t do this successfully, it will not be able to acquire the Eldorado casinos, and will not have the most casinos in the state. If it does successfully sell the 5 casinos, it must have a buyer. This answer choice implies that the only possible buyer is Moneyland. Moneyland already has 17 casinos, so if it buys five casinos from Apex, it will have 22 in total. In this scenario, Moneyland, not Apex, will have the most casinos.

(B) The conclusion only states that Apex will have the most casinos, not the most profitable casinos. Whether the casinos can operate profitably isn’t relevant to the conclusion.

(C) It is not clear how these rules would affect the likelihood of Apex successfully acquiring Eldorado’s casinos to become the company with the most casinos because Eldorado’s existing casinos have to be located in counties that allow casinos. This prohibition could limit the ability to build new casinos, but this would affect all companies and would not change the number of existing casinos.

(D) The argument already states that Moneyland owns 17 casinos. As long as this is fewer than 20, and as long as Moneyland does not acquire more casinos, the conclusion will hold. This answer choice does not state that Moneyland will acquire more casinos (or that Apex will be unable to acquire casinos). In fact, it makes it less likely that Moneyland will be able to acquire more casinos, since the state only allows Moneyland to operate one casino per county.

(E) This makes it more likely, not less likely, that Apex’s acquisition will be successful. If there is a clear source of funding, Apex is more likely to successfully complete the acquisition and end up with 20 casinos in total.
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 9
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [24]
Given Kudos: 32
Location: United Kingdom
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certa [#permalink]
16
Kudos
8
Bookmarks
Hello,

A) is the correct answer and at least to me - the logic is clear if we assume as per the powerscore bible that GMAT questions are written to be logically sound with no additional information

Prompt:
Moneyland has 17 casinos
Post acquisition Apex will be left with 20 casinos but only after selling 5 casinos. Those 5 casinos will therefore be bought by someone. One can logically infer that one would not buy a casino to shut it down but its not actually necessary to do so (most weaken is not an absolute)

A) states that the casino landscape is a closed system, the buyer of those casinos must therefore be moneyland. Therefore moneylands total casinos could increase to 22. The key is could, it may not but it certainly raises significantly the possibility that Moneyland would operate more than 20 casinos

Therefore A) weakens the conclusion

As regards C) - this does not weaken the conclusion indeed the prompt uses the word "operate" which implies that the 20 casinos will by definition be in areas where they will be able to operate
-----
With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certain state. Although intent on expanding, it was outmaneuvered by Apex Casinos in negotiations to acquire the Eldorado chain. To complete its acquisition of Eldorado, Apex must sell five casinos to comply with a state law forbidding any owner to operate more than one casino per county. Since Apex will still be left operation twenty casinos in the state, it will then have the most casinos in the state.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the prediction?

A) Apex, Eldorado, and Moneyland are the only organizations licensed to operate casinos in the state.
B) The majority of Eldorado's casinos in the state will need extensive renovations if they are to continue to operate profitably.
C) Some of the state's counties do not permit casinos.
D) Moneyland already operates casinos in the majority of the state's counties.
E) Apex will use funds it obtains from the sale of the five casinos to help fund its acquisition of the Eldorado chain.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Joined: 11 Jun 2017
Posts: 55
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certa [#permalink]
3
Kudos
walker wrote:
With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certain state. Although intent on expanding, it was outmaneuvered by Apex Casinos in negotiations to acquire the Eldorado chain. To complete its acquisition of Eldorado, Apex must sell five casinos to comply with a state law forbidding any owner to operate more than one casino per county. Since Apex will still be left operation twenty casinos in the state, it will then have the most casinos in the state.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the prediction?

A) Apex, Eldorado, and Moneyland are the only organizations licensed to operate casinos in the state.
B) The majority of Eldorado's casinos in the state will need extensive renovations if they are to continue to operate profitably.
C) Some of the state's counties do not permit casinos.
D) Moneyland already operates casinos in the majority of the state's counties.
E) Apex will use funds it obtains from the sale of the five casinos to help fund its acquisition of the Eldorado chain.


Hi mikemcgarry,

Need your help here.

I do understand the logic of the argument but by selecting A aren't we assuming that the casinos sold by Apex will be purchased by other casinos only. Isn't this an additional assumption ?
For example: A casino might also be just sold off as a property (not necessarily to some other casino) and utilized later for some other purpose.

Thanks in advance!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4490
Own Kudos [?]: 28857 [13]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certa [#permalink]
9
Kudos
4
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Poorvasha wrote:
walker wrote:
With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certain state. Although intent on expanding, it was outmaneuvered by Apex Casinos in negotiations to acquire the Eldorado chain. To complete its acquisition of Eldorado, Apex must sell five casinos to comply with a state law forbidding any owner to operate more than one casino per county. Since Apex will still be left operation twenty casinos in the state, it will then have the most casinos in the state.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the prediction?

A) Apex, Eldorado, and Moneyland are the only organizations licensed to operate casinos in the state.
B) The majority of Eldorado's casinos in the state will need extensive renovations if they are to continue to operate profitably.
C) Some of the state's counties do not permit casinos.
D) Moneyland already operates casinos in the majority of the state's counties.
E) Apex will use funds it obtains from the sale of the five casinos to help fund its acquisition of the Eldorado chain.


Hi mikemcgarry,

Need your help here.

I do understand the logic of the argument but by selecting A aren't we assuming that the casinos sold by Apex will be purchased by other casinos only. Isn't this an additional assumption ?
For example: A casino might also be just sold off as a property (not necessarily to some other casino) and utilized later for some other purpose.

Thanks in advance!

Dear Poorvasha,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, in doing the GMAT CR, it's very important to have a sense, especially a business person's sense, of how things operate in the real world. See:
GMAT Critical Reasoning and Outside Knowledge.

This is a brilliant official question, and the OA is (A). You are correct: the logic of this is that the pool of buyers is limited. If Apex buys Eldorado and wants to sell 5 casinos, who can buy them? Apex is the seller, Eldorado would be no longer an independent entity, and Moneyland is the competitor that Apex is trying to outmaneuver.

Think about it: more so than, say, an office building, a casino is a building that has tremendous infrastructure: gaming machines, specific play tables, etc. Almost no other industry could come in and use the space for purposes other that a casino. The cost of the casino itself would be substantially more than the cost of the land it occupies, so for someone to buy it purely for the land--that is, intending to liquidate and knock-down the casino and then build anew--then either Apex or that land-buyer would take a HUGE capital loss. Let's say that the casino + land is $20M and the land alone is $4M--there would be a $!6M loss, absorbed by Apex or the land-buyer or split between them. That is not the stuff of financial success. When the argument says that "Apex must sell five casinos," what's implied is that they are sold as casinos, not written off as losses.

If you just use your own creativity and imagination on GMAT CR, you will wind up going down all kinds of rabbit holes that will lead you away from the correct answer. You have to have a real-world sense of how much different things cost, how much money or effort or difficulty is involved in pursuing various actions. You get that sense by reading the business news every single day.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
IIM School Moderator
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 1253
Own Kudos [?]: 1265 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
Location: India
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certa [#permalink]
GMATNinjaTwo generis VeritasPrepKarishma GMATNinja

Can experts help me to validate my PoE for (D) and (A)

Since this is weaken question, my first step is to identify the conclusion, which is:
Apex Casinos will have the most casinos in the state after acquisition.

Why author say so?
Since Apex will still be left operating twenty casinos in the state after acquisition of Eldorado , and the next highest is Moneyland which operates 17 (same no of casinos before and after the above acquisition)

Few more facts I need to know:
A state law forbids any owner to operate more than one casino per county.
Because of this law, Apex must sell 5 casinos that it PRESENTLY has.
Moneyland also wanted to expand but probably could not get correct bid for buying
Eldorado in comparison to Apex. (Could be that M quoted less than A)

Now, D says:
Quote:
Moneyland already operates casinos in the majority of the state's counties.

After acquisition, we are given that Apex shall have 20 casinos.
We are also given that moneyland has and will have same no of casinos ie 17
since it lost bid against Apex. So even if it operates MAJORITY in any on state's countries, my conclusion that Apex has maximum no of casinos is not weakened since Apex has 20 and Moneyland has 17.

Quote:
A) Apex, Eldorado, and Moneyland are the only organizations licensed to operate casinos in the state.

Do I have to NEGATE this for conclusion for break? Since if there is any another organization, it HAS TO operate
more casinos than Apex. I am not able to find such evidence in argument.

Am I correct in my reasoning?

P.S. Can you please take up the question in upcoming QOTD?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Status: GMAT/GRE/LSAT tutors
Posts: 6984
Own Kudos [?]: 64537 [11]
Given Kudos: 1823
Location: United States (CO)
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certa [#permalink]
9
Kudos
2
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinjaTwo generis VeritasPrepKarishma GMATNinja

Can experts help me to validate my PoE for (D) and (A)

Since this is weaken question, my first step is to identify the conclusion, which is:
Apex Casinos will have the most casinos in the state after acquisition.

Why author say so?
Since Apex will still be left operating twenty casinos in the state after acquisition of Eldorado , and the next highest is Moneyland which operates 17 (same no of casinos before and after the above acquisition)

Few more facts I need to know:
A state law forbids any owner to operate more than one casino per county.
Because of this law, Apex must sell 5 casinos that it PRESENTLY has.
Moneyland also wanted to expand but probably could not get correct bid for buying
Eldorado in comparison to Apex. (Could be that M quoted less than A)

Now, D says:
Quote:
Moneyland already operates casinos in the majority of the state's counties.

After acquisition, we are given that Apex shall have 20 casinos.
We are also given that moneyland has and will have same no of casinos ie 17
since it lost bid against Apex. So even if it operates MAJORITY in any on state's countries, my conclusion that Apex has maximum no of casinos is not weakened since Apex has 20 and Moneyland has 17.

Quote:
A) Apex, Eldorado, and Moneyland are the only organizations licensed to operate casinos in the state.

Do I have to NEGATE this for conclusion for break? Since if there is any another organization, it HAS TO operate
more casinos than Apex. I am not able to find such evidence in argument.

Am I correct in my reasoning?

P.S. Can you please take up the question in upcoming QOTD?

Hi adkikani, you are on the right track here.

This is a sneaky one. Remember, Apex must sell 5 casinos once it acquires the Eldorado chain. Who is going to BUY those 5 casinos from Apex? Well, it can't be Eldorado, since they were just acquired by Apex. If choice (A) is true, then the ONLY other potential buyer is Moneyland. That means that Moneyland will have 22 casinos in total after the sale. Thus, Moneyland (22) will have more casinos than Apex (20).

I hope that helps!
BSchool Moderator
Joined: 24 May 2019
Status:Civil Enginner
Posts: 315
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [0]
Given Kudos: 482
Location: Turkey
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certa [#permalink]
According to the prompt, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certain state. Moreover, Apex will still be left operating twenty casinos in the state after selling five casinos.

Does not these two premises contradict each other?

If Moneyland with seventeen casinos operates the most (=more than half) casinos in the state, how come Apex operates twenty-five casinos (=more than seventeen) in the first place?

Please enlighten us.
Volunteer Expert
Joined: 16 May 2019
Posts: 3507
Own Kudos [?]: 6981 [6]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certa [#permalink]
5
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
tyildirim92 wrote:
According to the prompt, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certain state. Moreover, Apex will still be left operating twenty casinos in the state after selling five casinos.

Does not these two premises contradict each other?

If Moneyland with seventeen casinos operates the most (=more than half) casinos in the state, how come Apex operates twenty-five casinos (=more than seventeen) in the first place?

Please enlighten us.

Hello, tyildirim92. At first glance, these two pieces of information do seem contradictory, but a careful reading of the passage and answer choice (A) can show you why that is not so. The passage, along with the correct answer:

Quote:
With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certain state. Although intent on expanding, it was outmaneuvered by Apex Casinos in negotiations to acquire the Eldorado chain. To complete its acquisition of Eldorado, Apex must sell five casinos to comply with a state law forbidding any owner to operate more than one casino per county. Since Apex will still be left operation twenty casinos in the state, it will then have the most casinos in the state.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the prediction?

A) Apex, Eldorado, and Moneyland are the only organizations licensed to operate casinos in the state.


Let A = Apex, E = Eldorado, and M = Moneyland. Now, picture a state that has, say, 30 counties. Since we are told that Moneyland, with seventeen casinos, operates the most casinos in the state, we can map those out in our imaginary counties. Also, since we know that Apex, after the acquisition of Eldorado, must sell five casinos but will still be left operating twenty casinos, we can be sure that Apex will own 25 casinos right after the acquisition. But we have no information on how many Eldorado casinos are being acquired. We can imagine a number such as 10 that would put Apex at 25 total casinos, post-acquisition, meaning that Apex, pre-acquisition, owns 15 casinos. We can map those out as well. The state could be carved up in the following manner, pre-acquisition:

County 1 - M
2 - M
3 - M
4 - M
5 - M
6 - M
7 - M
8 - M
9 - M
10 - M
11 - M, A
12 - M, A
13 - M, A
14 - M, A
15 - M, A
16 - M, A
17 - M, A
18 - A
19 - A
20 - A
21 - A, E
22 - A, E
23 - A, E
24 - A, E
25 - A, E
26 - E
27 - E
28 - E
29 - E
30 - E

Total count: M = 17, A = 15, E = 10

Now, with the restriction provided in the passage that a state law forbids any owner to operate more than one casino per county, and with the information in answer (A), that only A, E, and M operate casinos in the state, once E bows out, only A and M remain, and you can see from the situation outlined above that counties 21-25 will present a problem for A. These are the five casinos that must be sold, per state law, and who is the only other casino owner operating in the state? Moneyland. Thus, we can conclude that, to abide by the law within the given constraints, A will sell the casinos that formerly belonged to E in counties 21 to 25 to M. The final layout of casino ownership would then appear thus:

County 1 - M
2 - M
3 - M
4 - M
5 - M
6 - M
7 - M
8 - M
9 - M
10 - M
11 - M, A
12 - M, A
13 - M, A
14 - M, A
15 - M, A
16 - M, A
17 - M, A
18 - A
19 - A
20 - A
21 - A, M
22 - A, M
23 - A, M
24 - A, M
25 - A, M
26 - A
27 - A
28 - A
29 - A
30 - A

Now, you can see quite plainly how A could go from owning 15 casinos to 25 casinos and then back to 20 casinos, while M benefits from state regulations and walks away with an additional 5 casinos. Thus, even if A were to own 20 casinos, M would own 22, and A would not then have the most casinos in the state. It is a tricky question, the kind I would expect to see pop up on the Quant end of the test, but perhaps you could think of this as an opportunity to cross-train.

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Joined: 12 Sep 2017
Posts: 28
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Location: Korea, Republic of
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certa [#permalink]
1
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
Question Type: Assumption + Weaken

Premise: Moneyland operates 17 casinos Premise: Apex acquires Eldorado while selling five casinos.
Assumption: No organization has more casinos than 20.
Conclusion: Apex has 20 casinos and will have the most casinos in the state.

A: Correct, If three companies are the only companies to have licenses, Moneyland is the only other company that can acquire casinos that Apex has sold.
B: OOS, needing extensive renovations and operating profitably is not our interest.
C: OOS, permission has nothing to do with the conclusion
D: Strengthen, if the Moneyland operating 17 casinos operates in the majority of the state’s counties, we can assume that Apex operating 20 casinos will also operate in the majority of the state’s counties. Furthermore, we can imply that no other organizations are operating more than 20. (Meaning possibility goes down..)
E: OOS, funding is irrelevant to the conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 Feb 2021
Posts: 42
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Location: Fiji
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V26
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.44
WE:Account Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certa [#permalink]
1
Bookmarks
Key in A option is that there are only three companies able to purchase, NO NEW ENTRANTS! thus if APEX wants to sell there is only Moneyland to buy. So when Apex sells 5 casinos, it will be left with 20. And Moneyland will be only player able to buy this 5 casinos, so it will have 17+5=22. Moneyland will have most casinos, thus it undermines the argument.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 20 Aug 2020
Posts: 131
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Re: With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certa [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinjaTwo generis VeritasPrepKarishma GMATNinja

Can experts help me to validate my PoE for (D) and (A)

Since this is weaken question, my first step is to identify the conclusion, which is:
Apex Casinos will have the most casinos in the state after acquisition.

Why author say so?
Since Apex will still be left operating twenty casinos in the state after acquisition of Eldorado , and the next highest is Moneyland which operates 17 (same no of casinos before and after the above acquisition)

Few more facts I need to know:
A state law forbids any owner to operate more than one casino per county.
Because of this law, Apex must sell 5 casinos that it PRESENTLY has.
Moneyland also wanted to expand but probably could not get correct bid for buying
Eldorado in comparison to Apex. (Could be that M quoted less than A)

Now, D says:
Quote:
Moneyland already operates casinos in the majority of the state's counties.

After acquisition, we are given that Apex shall have 20 casinos.
We are also given that moneyland has and will have same no of casinos ie 17
since it lost bid against Apex. So even if it operates MAJORITY in any on state's countries, my conclusion that Apex has maximum no of casinos is not weakened since Apex has 20 and Moneyland has 17.

Quote:
A) Apex, Eldorado, and Moneyland are the only organizations licensed to operate casinos in the state.

Do I have to NEGATE this for conclusion for break? Since if there is any another organization, it HAS TO operate
more casinos than Apex. I am not able to find such evidence in argument.

Am I correct in my reasoning?

P.S. Can you please take up the question in upcoming QOTD?

Hi adkikani, you are on the right track here.

This is a sneaky one. Remember, Apex must sell 5 casinos once it acquires the Eldorado chain. Who is going to BUY those 5 casinos from Apex? Well, it can't be Eldorado, since they were just acquired by Apex. If choice (A) is true, then the ONLY other potential buyer is Moneyland. That means that Moneyland will have 22 casinos in total after the sale. Thus, Moneyland (22) will have more casinos than Apex (20).

I hope that helps!



GMATNinja - I did not understand why D is wrong?

If D is true, that means "Moneyland already operates casinos in the majority of the state's counties."

The majority means >50% so, the number of counties within the state is less than 17x2 or less than 33 as then owning 17 will mean they are at 51% of the counties. The premise also tells us that each county can only have one Casino, so that means the remaining maximum number is 33-17 = 16, so as the Conclusion says that the number is 20 does not hold, am I missing something?

Also, for A - How are we assuming that is they sell, someone will buy, what if there are no buyers?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Status: GMAT/GRE/LSAT tutors
Posts: 6984
Own Kudos [?]: 64537 [1]
Given Kudos: 1823
Location: United States (CO)
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certa [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
IN2MBB2PE wrote:

GMATNinja - I did not understand why D is wrong?

If D is true, that means "Moneyland already operates casinos in the majority of the state's counties."

The majority means >50% so, the number of counties within the state is less than 17x2 or less than 33 as then owning 17 will mean they are at 51% of the counties. The premise also tells us that each county can only have one Casino, so that means the remaining maximum number is 33-17 = 16, so as the Conclusion says that the number is 20 does not hold, am I missing something?

Also, for A - How are we assuming that is they sell, someone will buy, what if there are no buyers?

The state law mentioned in the passage forbids "any owner to operate more than one casino per county." That's significantly different than only allowing one casino total in each county. To work with your example, let's say there are 33 counties and three different entities that own casinos in the state. The max number of casinos would be 99, not 33, because each of the three owners could operate a casino in every county. So, knowing that there are 33 or fewer counties doesn't mean that Moneyland has the highest number of casinos in the state.

As for (A) -- sure, there's no guarantee that Moneyland will buy up the five casinos. However, from (A) and the info in the passage we know that:

    1) Moneyland really wants to expand
    2) Apex must sell five casinos
    3) Inference from the info in (A): the only potential buyer is Moneyland

From these three pieces of the puzzle, we can conclude that Moneyland is likely to buy up the five casinos that must be sold. Remember, we're not asked to PROVE that Apex won't have the most casinos in the state -- we're just asked to UNDERMINE that prediction. (A) does exactly that by implying that Moneyland will likely grow to 22 total casinos and outstrip Apex's 20.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 11 Nov 2021
Posts: 13
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certa [#permalink]
This question is so illogical given that it's in the CR section. I think GMAT has good questions and bad questions. This one is an example of a very bad question.

What if Moneyland has already had casinos operated in all 5 counties where Apex's 5 casinos, which are planned to be sold, are located?

Additionally, who says that Apex must sell its casinos to another licensed casino owner? It can sell it to whichever buyer it wishes to sell, those buyers can renovate/repurpose the premise, whatever as long as they dont operate them casinos.

I can think of a million reasons why A is a very bad answer.
Volunteer Expert
Joined: 16 May 2019
Posts: 3507
Own Kudos [?]: 6981 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certa [#permalink]
2
Kudos
Expert Reply
kienbn932 wrote:
This question is so illogical given that it's in the CR section. I think GMAT has good questions and bad questions. This one is an example of a very bad question.

What if Moneyland has already had casinos operated in all 5 counties where Apex's 5 casinos, which are planned to be sold, are located?

Additionally, who says that Apex must sell its casinos to another licensed casino owner? It can sell it to whichever buyer it wishes to sell, those buyers can renovate/repurpose the premise, whatever as long as they dont operate them casinos.

I can think of a million reasons why A is a very bad answer.

Hello, kienbn932, and welcome to GMAT Club. I agree that we must take some liberties with this question, but at the same time, our task is to most seriously [undermine] the prediction, not necessarily disprove it. So, yes, there could very well be "a million reasons why A is a very bad answer," but then the question becomes, Which answer choice—among those provided—more seriously undermines the prediction? I and others have weighed in above. If you think a different answer choice is more justifiable, I would be quite eager to hear your argument. (I used to struggle most with CR in Verbal and found many questions and correct answers arbitrary... until I taught myself to play by the rules GMAC™ apparently wants us to adhere to. I refer to these rules collectively as the linear logic of the passage in many of my posts.)

I think this question trips up most test-takers the first time they lay eyes on it. I probably missed it, even though I honestly cannot remember. But let it serve as a "once bitten, twice shy" reminder.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Tutor
Joined: 22 Oct 2012
Status:Private GMAT Tutor
Posts: 366
Own Kudos [?]: 2446 [2]
Given Kudos: 138
Location: India
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Re: With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certa [#permalink]
2
Kudos
Expert Reply
Understand the Passage


With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certain state. Moneyland operates more casinos than any other player in a certain state. The statement implies that every other player in the state has fewer than 17 casinos.

Although intent on expanding, it was outmaneuvered by Apex Casinos in negotiations to acquire the Eldorado chain. Even though Moneyland wanted to acquire Eldorado chain of casinos, Apex Casinos beat it in the negotiations i.e. Apex Casinos is buying Eldorado chain of casinos.

To complete its acquisition of Eldorado, Apex must sell five casinos to comply with a state law forbidding any owner to operate more than one casino per county. There is a state law that prohibits any chain to have more than one casino in a county. The statement implies that Apex and Eldorado both have casinos in five counties. Thus, to comply with the law, Apex will have to sell five casinos.

(A natural question that came up in my mind as I read this statement was ‘why Apex must sell?’. Why can’t it simply close those five or at least some of those five casinos? Even though, in this specific argument, this question doesn’t matter, I wanted to mention the question because I believe such questions should arise in a person’s mind as he reads the argument. We need to be active readers, who question things, not passive readers, who read just to remember.)

Since Apex will still be left operating twenty casinos in the state, it will then have the most casinos in the state. Even after selling five casinos, Apex will still have 20 casinos. (Since 20 casinos is more than 17 casinos of Moneyland, which had the most casinos till now,) Apex will have the most casinos in the state.

Predict an Answer


The argument says that since the greatest number of casinos with any chain is 17 now, Apex Casinos will have the greatest number of casinos once it has 20 casinos.

One of the assumptions underlying the argument is that by the time Apex completes its acquisition of Eldorado, Moneyland will not have opened more than three new casinos on top of its existing ones.

If Moneyland ends up opening 4 or more casinos in the meantime, Apex, with 20 casinos, will not have the most casinos in the state.

Option Analysis


(A) Correct. Since we are given the Apex must sell five casinos to comply with the law and, from this option, we can see that Moneyland will be the only buyer, the option leads to a situation in which Moneyland will have 22 casinos before the acquisition of Eldorado by Apex is complete. In such a situation, Apex Casinos, with 20 casinos, will not have the most casinos in the state.

Thus, this option significantly weakens the argument.

(B) Incorrect. How much renovation will be required for Eldorado’s or Apex’s casinos or whether they will remain profitable does not impact the argument. The argument is about which chain will have the most casinos, not about which chain will be more profitable.

(C) Incorrect. The presence of such counties has no bearing on the argument. The argument is not concerned with whether all or even most counties allow casinos. Whether all counties allow casinos or only a few allow casinos, the argument remains unimpacted.

(D) Incorrect. Majority means more than 50%. The option says that Moneyland operates casinos in more than 50% of the counties. This means that 17 is greater than 50% of the number of the counties in Moneyland. However, the argument still stand as is. If Apex gets 20 casinos, it’ll have more casinos than Moneyland and thus the most casinos in the state.

(E) Incorrect. How Apex uses sales proceeds from the sale of five casinos has no bearing on the argument. Whether Apex uses such funds to fund the acquisition or to give a fully-paid vacation to its top management doesn’t have any impact on its number of casinos and thus any impact on the argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 23 Dec 2022
Posts: 312
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Send PM
Re: With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certa [#permalink]
The given statement is about two casino operators in a certain state. Moneyland currently operates the most casinos in the state, while Apex Casinos is set to acquire Eldorado chain, which will give it the most casinos in the state. However, to comply with a state law, Apex needs to sell five of the newly acquired casinos. The question asks which of the given options will most seriously undermine the prediction that Apex will have the most casinos in the state.

A) The statement that Apex, Eldorado, and Moneyland are the only organizations licensed to operate casinos in the state completely undermines the prediction that Apex will have the most casinos in the state. If only three organizations are licensed to operate casinos in the state, then neither Moneyland nor Apex can expand their operations by acquiring more casinos from other organizations. The prediction that Apex will have the most casinos in the state is based on the assumption that there are other organizations that Moneyland and Apex can acquire casinos from. However, if there are no other licensed organizations, then neither Moneyland nor Apex can increase the number of casinos they operate beyond the number they currently have. Therefore, option A is the correct answer.

B) The fact that the majority of Eldorado's casinos in the state will need extensive renovations to operate profitably is not directly relevant to the prediction being made. It may affect the profitability of Eldorado's casinos and Apex's ability to generate revenue from them, but it does not affect the number of casinos operated by Apex.

C) The fact that some counties in the state do not permit casinos could limit the number of casinos that can be operated in those counties. However, this is not relevant to the prediction being made about Apex having the most casinos in the state.

D) The fact that Moneyland already operates casinos in the majority of the state's counties could affect Apex's ability to acquire or operate more casinos in those counties. However, it does not necessarily undermine the prediction that Apex will have the most casinos in the state, as Apex could still acquire more casinos in counties where Moneyland does not operate.

E) The fact that Apex will use funds obtained from the sale of the five casinos to help fund its acquisition of the Eldorado chain does not directly undermine the prediction that Apex will have the most casinos in the state. However, it could affect Apex's ability to compete with Moneyland in acquiring or operating more casinos in the state.

In conclusion, option A is the correct answer as it completely undermines the prediction that Apex will have the most casinos in the state by stating that only three organizations are licensed to operate casinos in the state.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 02 Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certa [#permalink]
sayantanc2k wrote:
With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certain state. Although intent on expanding, it was outmaneuvered by Apex Casinos in negotiations to acquire the Eldorado chain. To complete its acquisition of Eldorado, Apex must sell five casinos to comply with a state law forbidding any owner to operate more than one casino per county. Since Apex will still be left operating twenty casinos in the state, it will then have the most casinos in the state

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the prediction?

A) Apex, Eldorado, and Moneyland are the only organizations licensed to operate casinos in the state.
B) The majority of Eldorado's casinos in the state will need extensive renovations if they are to continue to operate profitably.
C) Some of the state's counties do not permit casinos.
D) Moneyland already operates casinos in the majority of the state's counties.
E) Apex will use funds it obtains from the sale of the five casinos to help fund its acquisition of the Eldorado chain.


Option A:
Previously Apex + Eldorado = 25 casinos,

After acquisition Apex = 25 (before selling)
After acquisition Moneyland = 17 (before buying)
Total 42 casinos.

There are 5 counties in which Apex and Eldorado both had casinos. Therefore Apex has to sell off those 5 casinos in those 5 counties. Now consider the 6 cases:

Out of those 5 counties, Moneyland could already have a casino in 0,1,2,3,4 or all 5 counties. Following are the 6 cases:

case 1: Apex 20, Moneyland 22, closed down 0. (Moneyland had casino in 0 counties, Apex sells 5 casinos to Moneyland)
case 2: Apex 20, Moneyland 21, closed down 1. (Moneyland had casino in 1 county, Apex sells 4 casinos to Moneyland)
case 3: Apex 20, Moneyland 20, closed down 2. (Moneyland had casino in 2 counties, Apex sells 3 casinos to Moneyland)
case 4: Apex 20, Moneyland 19, closed down 3. (Moneyland had casino in 3 counties, Apex sells 2 casinos to Moneyland)
case 5: Apex 20, Moneyland 18, closed down 4. (Moneyland had casino in 4 counties, Apex sells 1 casino to Moneyland)
case 6: Apex 20, Moneyland 17, closed down 5. (Moneyland had casino in all 5 counties, Apex sells 0 casino to Moneyland)

There are 2 cases (case 1,2), in which Apex does not have the maximum number of casinos. Hence A weakens.
However we can also see that in the last 4 cases (case 3-6), Apex still has the maximum number of casinos. Hence A strengthens the argument.

Now since probability of strengthening is 4 out of 6 and weakening is 2 out of 6, statement A is actually a strengthening type statement, not a weakening type.

There should have been another line in the passage " Moneyland does not have casinos in at least 2 counties in which both Apex and Eldorado have casinos". Then the question is weakening type since then only case 1 and case 2 would be valid. Moreover then it would not be a weakening type, but an inference type question.

Option C: It does not matter whether some counties do not allow casinos. Those counties in any case do not have any casinos and hence do not come into consideration in the above analysis.

­Hi sayantanc2k

Great analysis, just you missed that case 3 is also the case where Apex does not have the maximum no. of casinos in the state. so our point on probability now is 50/50 for both stregthening and weakning the argument. However probability should not dictate wheather the choice a strengthner or wekaner, even if there is one case that weakens that choice is sure a weakner as there are chances of goal not being met because of that one case if it happens.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: With seventeen casinos, Moneyland operates the most casinos in a certa [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6984 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts