Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51449 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '20 (A)
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Alum
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM Calling all 2018 intake applicants - Class of 2020 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Quote:
I don't quite agree with this. Agree that outside top 15, schools may not have global appeal, but schools like Tepper, McCombs or Emory are regional powers. There is no school in Georgia better than Emory and Atlanta is a business hub. It is the same in the case of McCombs, its a top ranked school in Texas. I have seen my friends at WP Cary finding jobs within a month of graduation with some effort, mostly because ASU is a powerful name in Arizona.

Yeah, I agree, and I have started to REALLY like McCombs, Foster and ASU. But my anxiety lies elsewhere. First off you can't be worried about things that are purely based on luck. I can't fret about getting selected in the H1B pool as I have no leverage. So the risk mitigation factor is if I do have to come back to India, will I be able to leverage the international brand name of the school to get a good job in my target industry and function. I think that's where Top 10-15 comes into the picture.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Quote:
I don't quite agree with this. Agree that outside top 15, schools may not have global appeal, but schools like Tepper, McCombs or Emory are regional powers. There is no school in Georgia better than Emory and Atlanta is a business hub. It is the same in the case of McCombs, its a top ranked school in Texas. I have seen my friends at WP Cary finding jobs within a month of graduation with some effort, mostly because ASU is a powerful name in Arizona.

Yeah, I agree, and I have started to REALLY like McCombs, Foster and ASU. But my anxiety lies elsewhere. First off you can't be worried about things that are purely based on luck. I can't fret about getting selected in the H1B pool as I have no leverage. So the risk mitigation factor is if I do have to come back to India, will I be able to leverage the international brand name of the school to get a good job in my target industry and function. I think that's where Top 10-15 comes into the picture.

This makes sense! Sounds like you are less worried about getting a job in the US after school and more worried about if you have to get a job in India which is different than what sveniga was saying. By the way, kind of off topic but due to ASU's scholarship program, the admissions rate is only 14%....so I have personally been putting in extra effort to get to know the school.
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
FuturePM91 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Quote:

This makes sense! Sounds like you are less worried about getting a job in the US after school and more worried about if you have to get a job in India which is different than what sveniga was saying. By the way, kind of off topic but due to ASU's scholarship program, the admissions rate is only 14%....so I have personally been putting in extra effort to get to know the school.

Yeah I am sure it is more selective than what people give them credit for. BTW the stuff that you saw at UCLA - asking names of people you reached out to? Did you see that in any of the schools such as McCombs, ASU, Foster? I am applying to these three in a hurry mostly because of being super big in tech, which I think are your rationales as well.
Director
Director
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Quote:

I am not applying to Foster. but for ASU there is a question about who referred you but its not as detailed as UCLA the app was really not that hard at all...the only thing though is that it doesn't send an email to your recommenders until you submit the application itself..I am not sure if they are requiring that reqs are in before the due date as well as the app but because of that I would get it submitted asap. McCombs has an interesting question on making a pinterest board/instagram/or tweet about why mccombs. It is optional but if you go over to the McCombs forum there was some discussion on that..otherwise I had no problem. Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FuturePM91 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Quote:

I am not applying to Foster. but for ASU there is a question about who referred you but its not as detailed as UCLA the app was really not that hard at all...the only thing though is that it doesn't send an email to your recommenders until you submit the application itself..I am not sure if they are requiring that reqs are in before the due date as well as the app but because of that I would get it submitted asap. McCombs has an interesting question on making a pinterest board/instagram/or tweet about why mccombs. It is optional but if you go over to the McCombs forum there was some discussion on that..otherwise I had no problem. Hope that helps.

Incredible! You guys are casting your net really really wide.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Top Contributor
souvik101990 wrote:

Yeah I am sure it is more selective than what people give them credit for. BTW the stuff that you saw at UCLA - asking names of people you reached out to? Did you see that in any of the schools such as McCombs, ASU, Foster? I am applying to these three in a hurry mostly because of being super big in tech, which I think are your rationales as well.

oh Man. You are going to minimize my chances at Foster!! I'm almost done with my app for that schools :D. BTW, it is really good school. And Seatle is a good place since we have lot of big tech giants

And- I did not come across such question in Foster.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Top Contributor
FuturePM91 wrote:

souvik101990 and FuturePM91 - If you guys are really looking at ASU, I can introduce you to a couple of folks who graduated from that school. They are varied some are undergrad and some masters. But I'm sure my employer has MBA graduates from ASU, since my employer's base in Phoenix.
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
That’s great. Please help with that!

Also I feel Yale som invites are coming on Friday.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Just got an "Admissions Information" e-mail in my promotions inbox

Ends up being a generic e-mail from Fuqua, lol
Director
Director
Send PM
SFE2k10 wrote:
Just got an "Admissions Information" e-mail in my promotions inbox

Ends up being a generic e-mail from Fuqua, lol

Same just happened here and I had a mini heart attack. Not cool Fuqua. Not cool.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Instead of dealing with the hassle of the Promotions folder here are the instructions to bring your Gmail back to normal:

Click the in the upper right of the Gmail browser page.
Click Settings.
Switch to the Inbox tab.
Clear all the checkboxes you see for the new Categories.
Click Save Changes.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
No invites yet? Last week they sent on Thursday at 9:30am EST

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Director
Director
Send PM
gary611 wrote:

Nothing here but I about had a heart attack when I got this notification!

Thought they had sent and I hadn't gotten one again.

Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
gary611 wrote:

Shame on you, Gary!

Manager
Manager
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
gary611 wrote:

Shame on you, Gary!

For giving heart attack to others?

Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes and at the exact stressful moment!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
SFE2k10 wrote:
I'm pretty much resigned to the fact I'm not getting it. Seems like lots of people applying to m7 schools also apply to Yale as their safety so their applicant pool is just very high quality. Also seems like Yale puts more weight on test scores than a lot of other schools as a way to inflate their rankings. Congrats on whoever gets it but I'm less optimistic about this one than my other schools.

Are you basing this off of the stats on this site or something else? If it's based off of the applicants here you should note that people on this site tend to have higher scores and stats than the overall applicant pool. Also, Yale has only recently become a popular program. Since it used to be a non-profit management school is tends to attract people of related career goals so I would argue that Tuck is the M7 backup on the east coast and Haas is the M7 backup on the west coast. OR maybe a lot of people apply because of the Yale name without realizing the program history which is driving up the stats? I can agree with them being gmat sensitive though.

In short...don't get discouraged! I think for Yale, fit it most important. Second wave of invites hasn't even come out yet. You never know what can happen!

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13   14   15  ...  39   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts