It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 17:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Post MBA goals clarification

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 88 [1], given: 42

Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GRE 1: 319 Q170 V149
WE: Education (Non-Profit and Government)
CAT Tests
Post MBA goals clarification [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 19:48
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Experts,

Could you please review my profile and give some feedback on my goals.
Brief: A 27 years old Indian Male with 5.5 years of work experience.

Academics

• Took the test a year ago and scored 680. Retaking soon and expecting a score of 710-730.
  • GPA: 6.4 on a scale of 10 from a Top 20 school in India.
  • Took MBAMath online course.

Work experience (Reverse chronological order)

3 years of work exp in IT and around 2.5 years in Non profit
  • April 2016- Current Worked in large size company's CSR team to develop yearly strategic plan for four charter schools & also on Cleanliness camaign. One promotion
  • April 2013- April 2016 Worked at a Fortune 200 IT firm in a Business Analyst role with 2 promotions.
  • May 2012- April 2013 Worked in the educational reform sector of a mid size firm. Worked with six charter schools to train over 90 children.

Extra curricular

• Worked as the Student Head of the CSR wing of the IT firm.
  • Captained & mentored State-level chess teams for seven years.
  • Supported the charter schools with lessons on how to boost calculation speeds and other extra curricular activities.
  • Conducted over 15 large scale chess tournaments for over 400 school children.
  • Played the game in lots of exhibitions and seminars for a noble cause.
  • Worked as a chess coach ( both at an online platform and offline at few low income schools)
  • Participated in lots of community services especially in the last 1.5 years.

Desired b-schools

• Rotman
  • Georgia Tech (Scheller)
  • Texas (McCombs)
  • UNC Flager
  • BU Questrom
  • UBC Sauder
  • McGill

Career goals

• PLAN A: Join either the social sector leg of a consulting firms or the educational reform firms such as Education Pioneers, Bridgespan Group or other Ed-Tech start-ups.
  • PLAN B: IT consultant in PwC, Deloitte, KPMG, IBM Global Services or Accenture to serve clients in banking and financial services and information technology industry segments.

Questions

• Please suggest some schools (below Top20) where I would be a good fit.
  • After speaking to students/Adcoms from most of the schools I found that there are hardly any opportunities in the Non profit sector. I feel that the Adcoms will consider my post MBA employability as a hurdle and this might reduce my chances of an admit. Thus, I am confused whether I should make my Plan A as IT consultant and Plan B to enter the Social sector wing to make myself more employable. Please let me know if my understanding is correct.

PS: My profile is not competitive enough to apply to traditional Non profit bschools such as Yale, Tuck or Kellogg.
Thanks!

Resume Guides

If you found my post helpful, kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :) ..TIA

Kudos [?]: 88 [1], given: 42

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 37

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Post MBA goals clarification [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 14:51
vivek6199 wrote:
Hi Experts,
Hi Vivek6199- let me review below and give feedback

Academics

• Took the test a year ago and scored 680. Retaking soon and expecting a score of 710-730.
All this is OK- obviously the biggest part of this is that there is a big difference between a 680 and a 730 and the closer you are to the latter score, the more options you will have.

• April 2016- Current Worked in large size company's CSR team to develop yearly strategic plan for four charter schools & also on Cleanliness camaign. One promotion
  • April 2013- April 2016 Worked at a Fortune 200 IT firm in a Business Analyst role with 2 promotions.
  • May 2012- April 2013 Worked in the educational reform sector of a mid size firm. Worked with six charter schools to train over 90 children.
So it looks like you have experience in IT realm but a passion for working in education space-
that's how I read this so far.... let me see what else is coming next....

Extra curricular

• Supported the charter schools with lessons on how to boost calculation speeds and other extra curricular activities.
  • Worked as a chess coach ( both at an online platform and offline at few low income schools)

Desired b-schools

• Rotman
  • Texas (McCombs)
  • UNC Flager
  • BU Questrom
  • UBC Sauder
  • McGill
I think all these schools would be good contenders for you- and by the way- very important detail- it is UNC Kenan-Flagler (note the"l" in Flagler), And I think Rotman is a great school on the move up too! You might look at Ivey in Canada too.

Career goals

• PLAN A: Join either the social sector leg of a consulting firms or the educational reform firms such as Education Pioneers, Bridgespan Group or other Ed-Tech start-ups. This seems like the career goal I'd expect to see with this profile- fits your passion- I would then research from your list which schools have good pathways here.
  • PLAN B: IT consultant in PwC, Deloitte, KPMG, IBM Global Services or Accenture to serve clients in banking and financial services and information technology industry segments.
I think this is a good backup plan as you have to skills to be able to do this now- certainly all these firms hire a lot of MBAs- or certainly the first 4. So this is a goal where you will not have any issues pleasing career management- but if you truly want A- then say that- but first review which schools have some success with that.
if the school does not have as much success there- then plan B may be a better route.

Questions

• After speaking to students/Adcoms from most of the schools I found that there are hardly any opportunities in the Non profit sector. I feel that the Adcoms will consider my post MBA employability as a hurdle and this might reduce my chances of an admit. Thus, I am confused whether I should make my Plan A as IT consultant and Plan B to enter the Social sector wing to make myself more employable. Please let me know if my understanding is correct.
Some schools beyond what you list above that have strong social mission are also Georgetown, Notre Dame (Mendoza), Fuqua (maybe a stretch but a closer stretch than top 5)
PS: My profile is not competitive enough to apply to traditional Non profit bschools such as Yale, Tuck or Kellogg.
Thanks!

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 37

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GRE 1: 319 Q170 V149
WE: Education (Non-Profit and Government)
CAT Tests
Re: Post MBA goals clarification [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 18:49
StratusMBACounselor wrote:
vivek6199 wrote:
Hi Experts,
Hi Vivek6199- let me review below and give feedback

Academics

All this is OK- obviously the biggest part of this is that there is a big difference between a 680 and a 730 and the closer you are to the latter score, the more options you will have.

So it looks like you have experience in IT realm but a passion for working in education space-
that's how I read this so far.... let me see what else is coming next....

Extra curricular

Desired b-schools

• Rotman
  • Texas (McCombs)
  • UNC Flager
  • BU Questrom
  • UBC Sauder
  • McGill
I think all these schools would be good contenders for you- and by the way- very important detail- it is UNC Kenan-Flagler (note the"l" in Flagler), And I think Rotman is a great school on the move up too! You might look at Ivey in Canada too.

Career goals

• PLAN A: Join either the social sector leg of a consulting firms or the educational reform firms such as Education Pioneers, Bridgespan Group or other Ed-Tech start-ups. This seems like the career goal I'd expect to see with this profile- fits your passion- I would then research from your list which schools have good pathways here.
I think this is a good backup plan as you have to skills to be able to do this now- certainly all these firms hire a lot of MBAs- or certainly the first 4. So this is a goal where you will not have any issues pleasing career management- but if you truly want A- then say that- but first review which schools have some success with that.
if the school does not have as much success there- then plan B may be a better route.

Questions

Some schools beyond what you list above that have strong social mission are also Georgetown, Notre Dame (Mendoza), Fuqua (maybe a stretch but a closer stretch than top 5)
Thanks!

Thank you very much StratusMBA for such a detailed feedback!

Resume Guides

If you found my post helpful, kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :) ..TIA

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 42

Re: Post MBA goals clarification   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2017, 18:49

Post MBA goals clarification

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap