Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 18:26 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 18:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619727 [19]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619727 [4]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 430 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: 12 Days of Christmas GMAT Competition - Day 3: In the country of Xant [#permalink]
Statements:
10% of children in Xantharu have experienced severe lactose intolerance episodes
70% of children in Tripania have experienced lactose severe intolerance episodes (30% haven't => 70% have)
Argument:
Xantharu must be better adapted to digest lactose than are the inhabitants of Tripania
(note the argument states that Xantharu inhabitants (not just children) are better adapted.

Assumptions I can think of:
1) the adult population has the same rate of severe lactose intolerance as the children
2) The % of citizens in both populations that have consumed dairy products with lactose at least once is similar

(A) On average, each child in Xantharu is not consuming more cow’s milk daily than each child in Tripania.
-> The assumption is not based on average consumption.

(B) Children in Xantharu are not more likely to consume lactose-free milk alternatives than are children in Tripania.
-> They may not consume any dairy or dairy substitute, also this makes no mention of the population as a whole.

(C) In Xantharu, only 20% of adults and teens experience severe lactose intolerance, compared to 40% of adults and teens in Tripania who experience severe lactose intolerance.
-> This seems to help justify the argument the best so far.

(D) The population size of Xantharu is comparable to the population size of Tripania.
-> We are using percentages, so the population size is irrelevant

(E) The rate of severe lactose intolerance among children in Xantharu has been lower than the rate in Tripania for over three generations.
-> It could be that adults in Tripania stop being lactose intolerant.
-> It could be that children in Xantharu with lactose intolerant parents do not let them consume lactose
-> It could be that a part of the Xantharu population has consistently not consumed lactose for over 3 generations.

Between C and E I will go with C, given that the argument is talking about the population as a whole and C does a better job at defending this than E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: 12 Days of Christmas GMAT Competition - Day 3: In the country of Xant [#permalink]
Kudos
In the country of Xantharu, only 10% of children have experienced lactose intolerance episodes that were severe enough to require medical attention. However, in the neighboring country of Tripania, 30% of children have never experienced lactose intolerance episodes that required medical attention. Therefore, the inhabitants of Xantharu must be better adapted to digest lactose, found in dairy products commonly consumed by children, such as cow’s milk, than are the inhabitants of Tripania.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) On average, each child in Xantharu is not consuming more cow’s milk daily than each child in Tripania.

(B) Children in Xantharu are not more likely to consume lactose-free milk alternatives than are children in Tripania.

(C) In Xantharu, only 20% of adults and teens experience severe lactose intolerance, compared to 40% of adults and teens in Tripania who experience severe lactose intolerance.

(D) The population size of Xantharu is comparable to the population size of Tripania.

(E) The rate of severe lactose intolerance among children in Xantharu has been lower than the rate in Tripania for over three generations.

Assessment:
X-S(10%) and NS(90%)
Y-S(70%) NS(30%)

Conclusion: The inhabitants of X are better adapted to lactose intolerance than inhabitants of Y.
% of people who experience symptoms are used as an evidence for lactose intolerance.
A-not correct
amount of milk consumed does not determine whether people are lactose intolerant.
B-selected
If people choose to select lactose free milk in X, they may not experience symptoms. Hence, % of people who experience severe symptoms will be lower. Conclusion that people in X are better adopted to lactose free milk will not be valid.

C-Incorrect
It does provide similar information we know from the argument that higher % of people in Y experiences severe symptoms compared to X.
D-not correct
It does help us strenghthen the conclusion that number of people who experience severe symptoms is higher in Y than in X. However, it does not provide the linkage between # of people who experience symptoms and whether people are better equipped to deal with lactose intolerance.
E-not correct
It does provide the same information as it was stated in the argument. Does not establish the linkage between # of people who experience severe symptoms and whether they are better equipped to deal with allergies.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39 (Online)
GMAT 3: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
In the country of Xantharu, only 10% of children have experienced lactose intolerance episodes that were severe enough to require medical attention. However, in the neighboring country of Tripania, 30% of children have never experienced lactose intolerance episodes that required medical attention. Therefore, the inhabitants of Xantharu must be better adapted to digest lactose, found in dairy products commonly consumed by children, such as cow’s milk, than are the inhabitants of Tripania.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

Solution:
Let children in Xantharu be 100X and in Tripania be 100T
children who have experienced lactose intolerance episodes that were severe enough to require medical attention in Xantharu= 10% of 100X= 10X
children who have not experienced lactose intolerance episodes that were severe enough to require medical attention in Xantharu= 90% of 100X= 90X
children who have not experienced lactose intolerance episodes that were severe enough to require medical attention in Xantharu= 70% of 100T= 70T
children who have experienced lactose intolerance episodes that were severe enough to require medical attention in Tripania= 30% of 100T= 30T

The interesting thing to notice here is that in the conclusion the author mentions inhabitants and not only children but then he talks about efficiency or who's better at digesting lactose(found in dairy products commonly consumed by children). So, the author is basing it on children-consumed products which leads us to believe the comparison is based on children. I'm not 100% sure on this one but found this conclusion a bit confusing. Anyways let's move to the answers.

(A) On average, each child in Xantharu is not consuming more cow’s milk daily than each child in Tripania.: The negation of this should destroy our conclusion but if On average, each child in Xantharu is consuming more cow’s milk daily than each child in Tripania then it strengthens the conclusion. Not our answer.

(B) Children in Xantharu are not more likely to consume lactose-free milk alternatives than are children in Tripania.: Now, this is important. Remember the premise, only 10% have severe lactose intolerance requiring medical attention in Xantharu but 70% in Tripania. The author uses that to come to a conclusion. But if more children in Xantharu are using lactose-free milk then no wonder their percentages are low. It means it's not that is more adept at digesting lactose.

(C) In Xantharu, only 20% of adults and teens experience severe lactose intolerance, compared to 40% of adults and teens in Tripania who experience severe lactose intolerance.: This is a bit tricky because if the conclusion has more emphasis on inhabitants and not children, this could work in our favor but then again its negation does not destroy our conclusion and it does not have to be necessarily true for our conclusion to hold. Even if the %ges were the same for both countries, we could make our case using the childrens' %ges.

(D) The population size of Xantharu is comparable to the population size of Tripania.: Population does not matter because we are dealing with %ges of population. Even if Xantharu's population was quite smaller compared to Tripania. The fact that only 10% in Xantharu suffer from severe lactose intolerance requiring medical attention compared to 70% in tripania could very well be used to make our conclusion.

(E) The rate of severe lactose intolerance among children in Xantharu has been lower than the rate in Tripania for over three generations.: rate does not matter and what up with past three generations what if before past 3 gens Tripania had lower rate.

Thus, answer is B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
JulienC wrote:
Statements:
10% of children in Xantharu have experienced severe lactose intolerance episodes
70% of children in Tripania have experienced lactose severe intolerance episodes (30% haven't => 70% have)
Argument:
Xantharu must be better adapted to digest lactose than are the inhabitants of Tripania
(note the argument states that Xantharu inhabitants (not just children) are better adapted.

1) the adult population has the same rate of severe lactose intolerance as the children
2) The % of citizens in both populations that have consumed dairy products with lactose at least once is similar

-> They may not consume any dairy or dairy substitute, also this makes no mention of the population as a whole.

-> It could be that children in Xantharu with lactose intolerant parents do not let them consume lactose
-> It could be that a part of the Xantharu population has consistently not consumed lactose for over 3 generations.

Between C and E I will go with C, given that the argument is talking about the population as a whole and C does a better job at defending this than E.

This was a great question for me as I've learnt a lot from the mistakes I made.
I still have some questions, however. like some clarification on one aspect of the question.
To preface, I haven't started studying verbal yet, so I appologise if the answers are obvious.

-Is the argument the entire paragraph that the author writes, or is it just the claim the author makes after citing his/her facts/opinions?

To me, the argument would be "Therefore, the inhabitants of Xantharu must be better adapted to digest lactose, found in dairy products commonly consumed by children, such as cow’s milk, than are the inhabitants of Tripania." but maybe I'm wrong.

-Does the assumption have to be linked to the body of the text, the 'closing remarks' (what I would call the argument, see above), or both?

-Can there only ever be one assumption in an assumption question, or should you pick the best assumption?

-For those who are very experienced in answering these questions: Is it always better to create your own assumptions before going through the ones in the text?

I feel that I spent a lot of time thinking of the assumptions and paying attention to core of the argument, when I could have easily eliminated options C and E (the ones I thought were most likely) based on the level of specificity given.

Thank you for your time.
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1851
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
JulienC wrote:
JulienC wrote:
Statements:
Argument:

I still have some questions, however. like some clarification on one aspect of the question.
To preface, I haven't started studying verbal yet, so I appologise if the answers are obvious.

-Is the argument the entire paragraph that the author writes, or is it just the claim the author makes after citing his/her facts/opinions?

To me, the argument would be "Therefore, the inhabitants of Xantharu must be better adapted to digest lactose, found in dairy products commonly consumed by children, such as cow’s milk, than are the inhabitants of Tripania." but maybe I'm wrong.

-Does the assumption have to be linked to the body of the text, the 'closing remarks' (what I would call the argument, see above), or both?

-Can there only ever be one assumption in an assumption question, or should you pick the best assumption?

-For those who are very experienced in answering these questions: Is it always better to create your own assumptions before going through the ones in the text?

I feel that I spent a lot of time thinking of the assumptions and paying attention to core of the argument, when I could have easily eliminated options C and E (the ones I thought were most likely) based on the level of specificity given.

Thank you for your time.

Hello !

I can help answer few of your queries -

The argument consists of premise (facts, third party opinions etc.) and conclusion. In questions such as this, the conclusion plays an important role. All other details presented in the argument are just to relate to the conclusion.

Can there only ever be one assumption in an assumption question, or should you pick the best assumption?

From an answer point of view, there would always be one answer, other responses may seem tempting, however they would be incorrect on solid grounds of reasoning.

Definitely! The process is known as pre-thinking. Pre-thinking helps a lot and leads to quick answer choice elimination. Having said that, one can perform correct pre-thinking only when one has understood the passage.

Let me know if you have any more questions !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 430 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
JulienC wrote:
JulienC wrote:
Statements:
Argument:

Thank you for your time.

To start with there is no such thing as silly questions, it's silly not to ask one.!

The argument as the word suggests means disagreement, it can be between author and other person or a claim and a finding. Basically a disagreement over something.

It's the conclusion. The conclusion means the final output or zest of the passage, the summary.
There are certain markers for the same as to how to find out what is the conclusion if you are not able to figure out what is the conclusion.
It generally starts with, therefore, hence, to conclude, etc.
Note there can be more than one conclusion also.(not to make it complex but just letting you know)

Now coming to the assumption. What is an assumption.?
Let's take an example.
A picnic was organized for all the 12th graders of a school.(Premise)
So john won't be going.(Conclusion)

It means what all things.?
Either john is not in 12th grade. (because it is only organized for 12th graders)
or
John is not in school.
or
John is a 12 grader but not in that school.
Makes sense right.?

So the assumption is an unstated statement for the conclusion to hold true.

As I just gave an example, there can be multiple assumptions for a given statement but the options will be having only one assumption.
You will never find options where multiple assumptions will be present and you have to select the best.

I am not experienced but let's say I have developed a taste for the same, so will answer your question.
Yes, it's better to at least create one assumption before even reading the answer choice helps you focus on what you are looking for but again, as I said there can be multiple assumptions for a statement what assumption you thought might not be present but you will get a taste of it after a while.(thinking along the lines of question setter)

Learning new things always takes time as all the things in this world, what matters is the system should work every time and with better accuracy. So what matters is finding a system first.
Learn to dissect the statement into the premise and the conclusion first.(finding the conclusion most important) but since you have just started there are plenty of resources that will teach you just the same.

I hope I was of some assistance to you.!
Rest Gmatclub is always rocking so don't bother knocking.! :)
Hi everyone ,
can someone help me to correct my approach for determining why option B is a correct option and why option D is not:
conclusion : X's inhabitants are better suited to digest lactose as compared to T's inhabitants, given mostly children consume lactose products such as cow's milk.
pre thinking : given 10 % of children required medical support in X compared to 30 % of children in T. now one way to solve this question would be to check for an option which actually states that both countries have comparable population of children (Why so because even if the conclusion is given about inhabitants , the major consumer of lactose based products are children.)
This does look similar to what option D is explaining but if we look closely it is actually giving the population comparison of overall population and not only of children. Therefore in my opinon a few repliues stating that the actual number wont matter , that is completely wrong , because actual number always do give an actual representation of the reality , where as percentage formula states : A = x% of B , x is representation .
Now coming on to option B if an alternative option of milk is more readily available to children (which is the major demography on which conclusion is also drawn) and the likely hood is also high for consumption of these products then only the study would stand true.
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1851
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Bp36mafia wrote:
Hi everyone ,
can someone help me to correct my approach for determining why option B is a correct option and why option D is not:
conclusion : X's inhabitants are better suited to digest lactose as compared to T's inhabitants, given mostly children consume lactose products such as cow's milk.
pre thinking : given 10 % of children required medical support in X compared to 30 % of children in T. now one way to solve this question would be to check for an option which actually states that both countries have comparable population of children (Why so because even if the conclusion is given about inhabitants , the major consumer of lactose based products are children.)
This does look similar to what option D is explaining but if we look closely it is actually giving the population comparison of overall population and not only of children. Therefore in my opinon a few repliues stating that the actual number wont matter , that is completely wrong , because actual number always do give an actual representation of the reality , where as percentage formula states : A = x% of B , x is representation .
Now coming on to option B if an alternative option of milk is more readily available to children (which is the major demography on which conclusion is also drawn) and the likely hood is also high for consumption of these products then only the study would stand true.

Hey Bp36mafia

I think there are an issue with D -

The premise states information / provides factual information regarding the children in the two countries (Xantharu and Tripania). While the conclusion points to the entire population.

Conclusion: Therefore, the inhabitants of Xantharu must be better adapted to digest lactose, found in dairy products commonly consumed by children, such as cow’s milk, than are the inhabitants of Tripania.

So essentially, we do not know about the lactose tolerance level of any other group apart from the children, however we are concluding based on a narrow dataset.

Even if we assume that the population of Xantharu is comparable to the population size of Tripania, so that the number is comparable, ambiguity still remains.

Option B is better suited as it brings in a new factor to consider - What if children in Xantharu are likely to consume alternatives, and thus they have not reported the lactose episodes.
Hence we cannot conclude inhabitants of Xantharu must be better adapted to digest lactose (they did not consume in the first place).

Hope this helps !
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts