Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [5]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 660 Q39 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [3]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [2]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: 660 Debrief: Q38 V40 (What you probably should not do) [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi calappa1234,

First off, a 660 is a strong score (it's right around the 80th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. The Q38 could be a 'red flag' at certain Programs though - and you seem to understand some of the short-comings in your studies - so a retest makes a certain amount of sense. Considering that your Verbal skills are so strong, you could potentially score in the mid-700s (or higher) with the right focus on honing your Quant skills.

Based on what you've described, there are a couple of other aspects to your studies that you should adjust for your next attempt:

1) Studying 12+ hours a day is NOT a good idea. That type of 'cramming' might have worked in college, but it rarely leads to great results on the GMAT. By studying in that volume in the last 2 weeks before your Exam, It's likely that you were a bit 'burned out' on Test Day.

2) The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week. By taking 3 CATs in the 3 days right before your Official GMAT, there's an even greater chance that you experienced some burn out on Test Day.

3) Many of the patterns and Tactics that are applicable to PS questions also can be used on DS questions. However, DS questions have their own specific patterns that you'll need to learn. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Hi Rich,

My re-take is on the 8th of November, so I have 2 months to go. I'm aiming for something above 700. A 740 would be great!

I won't be able to make most of the R1 deadlines for schools but that doesn't bother me too much. I'll try my luck at R2/R3 but don't mind waiting another year for a better chance.

I don't plan on going overboard in the last two weeks this time, but instead maybe putting in a steady 4 hours a day (i'm working atm) and maybe 6-7 on the weekends.

The highest I've scored on quant is a 48, but that was pure luck. When reviewing the questions (MGMAT), i got 3 '700-800' level questions correct (all of which were guesses). Honestly, I'd be thrilled if I could maintain a Q45.

Also, is it realistic to try and hit a V45+? Thing is I haven't studied verbal at all. I've always gone by 'gut' feeling and although its resulted in fluctuations during MGMAT tests (anywhere from as low as 32 to as high as 45), i've gotten steady 40s on the official tests/exams.

Truth is I really have no idea what parallelism, modifiers and all that other stuff means. I even get confused between the definitions of basic things such as prepositions/conjunctions etc... Would it be advisable to go back to the drawing board for verbal too? Learn the very basics and work my way up? I really want to see my verbal hit a consistent 45 if possible.

THanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
You scored a V40 a very good verbal score so you just need to focus on Quant. Going from Q38-Q45 is very very doable in 4-6 weeks.Ditch the MGMAT tests and sign up for Gmatclub tests. Download the GMAT Math book and go over the whole book. My advice don't waste money on expensive courses, just a waste of money. For gmatclub tests go over all the 500 level questions and then 600. Dont even bother with 700 level questions at this point, you are wasting your time because the real time will not get that difficult at the Q45 level.

Good luck
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi calappa1234,

A November 8th Test Date gives you plenty of time to continue to study and improve. In addition, there are still plenty of 'spots' available in Round 2, so as long as you've properly assembled your application - and you have a strong overall profile - then you could very well be just fine applying at that point in time.

With the proper focus over the next 2 months (and by that, I mean a reasonable and consistent amount of study time - no cramming), I suspect that you could likely score far higher than the Q38 and earn some extra points in Verbal too. The entire GMAT is built around patterns, so you can use Quant Tactics to take advantage of those patterns and use the typical Verbal logic/design patterns to pick up points in that section. Right now, you have a really strong Verbal critical-thinking aptitude (meaning that you essentially know that the correct answer just 'sounds right'). At higher levels though, some of the wrong answers to Verbal questions become more subtle, so you would be more likely to come down to 2 choices that both sound good, without really defining WHY the wrong one is wrong. Learning those common types of wrong answer 'patterns', along with some rarer grammar/idiom/style rules, could be enough to get you to a V45.

When are you planning to get back into 'study mode?'

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Hi Rich,

I'm planning on starting to shift into study gear over the coming weekend. That leaves me about 55? days or so to go. While I am going to concentrate primarily on quant, i will be hitting up verbal too, to be able to figure out, as you said, the subtle things that separate two 'correct' sounding answers. Thanks a bunch for all the advice! Hopefully I'll be able to nail this thing once and for all!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts