GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 02:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

710: Should I retake?

new topic post reply Update application status  

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
710: Should I retake? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 04:13
Hello,

I have 2 questions here:

1)Should I retake GMAT?
2)Is the school list I am considering too ambitious? Considering my profile, should I expand the list?

My score is 710 (Q50/V37/IR8).
This is a 2nd take. First was 4 years ago with 690. I know I can get my verbal up. Average on GMAT prep has been 700 but with verbal of 39.

Target schools are: MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, Insead and LBS.

Profile: Sales manager at Siemens Energy. 4 years in U.S. and 2 years in Thailand.
Undergrad: Engineering at University of Wisconsin- Madison GPA 3.8

Extra curricular:
Involvement with start up projects
committee member for community management and recycling project

Thanks everyone :)
Expert Post
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: 710: Should I retake? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 06:44
hillyboy wrote:
Hello,

I have 2 questions here:

1)Should I retake GMAT?
2)Is the school list I am considering too ambitious? Considering my profile, should I expand the list?

This is a 2nd take. First was 4 years ago with 690. I know I can get my verbal up. Average on GMAT prep has been 700 but with verbal of 39.

Profile: Sales manager at Siemens Energy. 4 years in U.S. and 2 years in Thailand.

Extra curricular:

There is no clear answer here without knowing about you.

What I mean is that it is YOU who should know whether you are capable of getting a higher score or not, and how much you would need to work in order to make that happen.

The questions you should be asking yourself:
- In perfect conditions what is the best score you think you can get?
- What needs to happen in order to make those conditions perfect?
- How much investment of time (and possibly money) will need to be made in order to get that score?
- How much higher is that score than your current score?
- What is your goal? (GMAT matters more for finance of Consulting jobs)
- Is it worth your while to delay your application to R2 in order to achieve this higher score?
- Is it worth your while to delay your application to next year in order to achieve this higher score?

When you have the answers to these questions, you will have your answer :)

(How zen... ;) )

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 11:44
JonAdmissionado wrote:
hillyboy wrote:
Hello,

I have 2 questions here:

1)Should I retake GMAT?

Extra curricular:

There is no clear answer here without knowing about you.

What I mean is that it is YOU who should know whether you are capable of getting a higher score or not, and how much you would need to work in order to make that happen.

The questions you should be asking yourself:
- In perfect conditions what is the best score you think you can get?
- What needs to happen in order to make those conditions perfect?
- How much investment of time (and possibly money) will need to be made in order to get that score?
- How much higher is that score than your current score?
- What is your goal? (GMAT matters more for finance of Consulting jobs)
- Is it worth your while to delay your application to R2 in order to achieve this higher score?
- Is it worth your while to delay your application to next year in order to achieve this higher score?

When you have the answers to these questions, you will have your answer :)

(How zen... ;) )

Best,
JF

Hi JF, in the best condition i believe I could get 730 or may be 740. I would have to invest 3 weeks more. This time would be a trade off to other extracurricular activities that may strengthen my profile. I decided not to delay my application beyond round 1. So basically I have 2 months lefts until September and have to decidewhat to focus on: Either to improve Gmat score by 20 points or improve other points in my profile: essay, extra curricular activities etc. Essay is not an issue, but I can alternatively focus the time on community service and startup projects.

Thanks.
Expert Post
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 12:09
If it's only going to take three weeks, go with the GMAT. Even if this brings you close to R1 deadlines, you still have the equally good R2. And from 710 to 730 is a significant jump.

I wish you the best of luck!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 22:46
The deciding factor here is that you think that you can do better, so for that reason I would say: yes, you should retake as you want to make sure you have given your application “your all” before you apply. Should you not get admitted and you did not retake, you will always be wonder what would have happened if you did retake etc.

So definitely retake in this case as a higher GMAT score will make a bigger difference than your other plan as well.

Good luck!

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 15:02
I would retake if you are serious about getting into the schools you listed. The right score is the score that can get you into your target schools. Take a look at the increasingly rising scores at Stanford and Sloan, I think getting closer to or above that average could help you out here.

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 11:42
Hi

You should better improve your Verbal...Within 3 weeks or 2 you can improve it up to 40 and your score will jump up to 740 and it is more sensible for you schools of choice decisions is yours.

Good Luck

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 23:58
hillyboy wrote:
Hello,

I have 2 questions here:

1)Should I retake GMAT?

Extra curricular:

Hi hillyboy,

First of all, congratulations on a phenomenal score. 710 is a great score and you can confidently apply to any business school of your choice. However if you feel you can improvise your score by a few more points , you can give it another try. You can work on your verbal and try to cross the 40 mark.

If you want to improve on any individual area such as Sentence Correction, you may subscribe to the individual SC course as you can finish the whole course in 10 days (with proper dedication). If however you are only looking to identify and improve on your weak areas, I would encourage you to purchase the e-gmat scholaranium. It is without a doubt, one of the best practice tools for verbal and will indeed help you on the final leg of your preparations.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Re: 710: Should I retake?   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2017, 23:58

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap