Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: CBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: CBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Re: A couple questions as I plan out my application process [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi there,

So you're right that the Columbia ED round, anecdotally, carries a higher chance of admission than the regular decision rounds. However, that's not because their admissions standards go out the window for a guaranteed conversion. Instead, as you said, it's much more reflective of the caliber of the early applicant pool and the fact that those candidates tend to be very competitive, the most prepared, and have done the most research in terms of determining if and why Columbia is their top choice program. So all that goes to say that I wouldn't recommend that you apply in the early decision round simply because you think you have higher chances of admission. Instead, I would think critically about whether that's the right round for you because Columbia is your top choice program and you're happy to commit to them upfront. Remember that if your application is competitive, you'll be just fine to apply in the regular decision rounds. So don't sell yourself short (and eliminate options) only because you think that's your best shot of admission. There's way too much at stake to be that short-sighted, in my opinion. (For what it's worth, I'm a Columbia alum who applied in the ED round because I was 100% sold on the school and had a very compelling case for why CBS was uniquely positioned to help me achieve my career goals. But I fully recognize that it's not the right path for everyone.)

As for your chances, that's really not something that I can quantify, particularly since your work experience is a wild card right now. But I can tell you that Columbia will evaluate your application in its entirety so if you're confident you can showcase leadership, impact, teamwork, etc. through other activities than your professional endeavors, then go for it! Otherwise, you'll be better off gaining a bit more real-world experience first.

I hope that helps! Best of luck!

Kindly,
Melody
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A couple questions as I plan out my application process [#permalink]