Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1663 [11]
Given Kudos: 348
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [4]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: A hardware store generally sells roughly equal numbers of [#permalink]
Kudos
tamal99 wrote:
arun6765 wrote:
+1 for A

Stated in the argument : Maxlast hammers were placed at entrance.

A. For the first several seconds after shoppers enter a store, they do not take detailed notice of the store's merchandise.

If shoppers do not take detailed notice of merchandise several second after they enter store, they will surely miss what was displayed at entrance i.e. Maxblast.

Could you please explain how you are eliminating B.

Regards,
Tamal

Nowhere in the argument it is mentioned that styron hammers are superior in quality. In the argument only given thing is(A hardware store generally sells roughly equal numbers of Maxlast brand hammers and Styron brand hammers)

(B) Most of the hardware store's customers are attracted by quality and service rather than low prices. Option B is irrelevan. Maybe maxblast are more superior in quality than styron but that doesn't help.

Hope it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [0]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
AshutoshB wrote:
A hardware store generally sells roughly equal numbers of Maxlast brand hammers and Styron brand hammers. Last week, all of the Maxlast hammers were put on sale and placed in a display case just inside the store entrance while the Styron hammers retained their usual price and location. Surprisingly, the Styron hammers slightly outsold the Maxlast hammers.

Which one of the following, if true, does most to explain the surprising result?

(A)  For the first several seconds after shoppers enter a store, they do not take detailed notice of the store's merchandise. 

(B)  Most of the hardware store's customers are attracted by quality and service rather than low prices. 

(C)  Customers who bought the Maxlast hammers last week commonly mentioned the sale as their reason for buying a hammer at that time. 

(D)  The hardware store circulated flyers that publicized the sale prices on Maxlast hammers. 

(E)  In general, a single item that is on sale will not motivate shoppers to make a special trip to a store.

LSAT

Question Type: Resolve the Paradox

Premise 1: The hardware store sells, roughly equal number of Hammer M & Hammer S. Last week Hammer M is put on sale & displayed in a special case near the store entrance.

Premise 2: Hammer S outsold Hammer M

It comes down to Answer choice A & B.

We can reject B, since it doesn't specifically mention Hammer S is of better quality than Hammer M.

Answer A, is very straight & points out that the location of the display is somewhat unnoticed & hence customers simply walk in the stores, probably unaware of the Sale on Hammer M. This could be the possible reason for sale of Hammer M less than that of Hammer S.

Moreover choice A follows a pattern of answers that i have noticed on GMAT & GMAT type questions from other sources that the correct answer choice is usually the one that is more REAL LIFE based & practical to imagine. Ron Purewal says that you should be able explain the argument to a 10 year old & i add to that that you should also expect an answer that a 10 year old will most probably give.

The above is not a rule, just a trick you can use when stuck with two answer choices, by just keeping it simple.

Answer A.

Thanks,
GyM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
I wasted a good 3:30 on this because to me, A isn't that convincing. On the surface it seems to do the job, but why can't we rule out the possibility that AFTER the first few seconds they take detailed notice. A) doesn't preclude that possibility.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
CEdward wrote:
I wasted a good 3:30 on this because to me, A isn't that convincing. On the surface it seems to do the job, but why can't we rule out the possibility that AFTER the first few seconds they take detailed notice. A) doesn't preclude that possibility.

I would agree that A is not the answer we would look for. However, the others options are not even close.

Plus A mentions "several" seconds. That is different from the "first few" seconds as you said. Option A provides a possible answer to the paradox, and hence is the answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts