It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 14:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A small School has three foreign language classes,one in French,one in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 3041 [0], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
A small School has three foreign language classes,one in French,one in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 13:49
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

63% (01:28) correct 37% (02:29) wrong based on 178 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A small School has three foreign language classes,one in French,one in Spanish,and one in German.How many of the 34 students enrolled in the Spanish class are also enrolled in French class?

(1)There are 27 students enrolled in the French class,and 49 students enrolled in either the French class,the Spanish class,or both of these classes.

(2) One half of the students enrolled in the Spanish class are enrolled in more than one foreign language class.

OG Q 2017 New Question
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 3041 [0], given: 220

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8942 [2], given: 111

Re: A small School has three foreign language classes,one in French,one in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 15:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AbdurRakib wrote:
A small School has three foreign language classes,one in French,one in Spanish,and one in German.How many of the 34 students enrolled in the Spanish class are also enrolled in French class?

(1)There are 27 students enrolled in the French class,and 49 students enrolled in either the French class,the Spanish class,or both of these classes.

(2) One half of the students enrolled in the Spanish class are enrolled in more than one foreign language class.

OG Q 2017 New Question

Dear AbdurRakib,
I'm happy to reply. :-) Great question!

In general, three-circle Venn diagrams are hard. It's hard to get specific information about specific regions.

Statement #1 does us the favor of making German irrelevant, so that we have a much simpler two-circle Venn diagram. We have 34 in Spanish, including those in French. We have 27 in French, including those in Spanish. Let's say
S = number of Spanish-only students
F = number of French-only students
B = number of students taking both, which is the number the prompt question wants.
We know S + B = 34 from the prompt.
We know F + B = 27 and S + F + B = 49 from Statement #1.
(S + B) + (F + B) = 34 + 27
S + 2B + F = 61
Subtract the second equation from the prompt:
B = 61 - 49 = 12
This statement gives us a clear numerical answer to the prompt question. Statement #1, alone and by itself, is sufficient.

Now, forget statement #1.

Statement #2 tell us that half the Spanish students, 17, are taking at least one more class, but we don't know how many are in French and how many are in German. The three circle situation is problematic. We can't answer the question. Statement #2, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

First statement sufficient, second insufficient. Answer = (A)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8942 [2], given: 111

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 125

Re: A small School has three foreign language classes,one in French,one in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 08:13
mikemcgarry wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG Q 2017 New Question

Dear AbdurRakib,
I'm happy to reply. :-) Great question!

In general, three-circle Venn diagrams are hard. It's hard to get specific information about specific regions.

Statement #1 does us the favor of making German irrelevant, so that we have a much simpler two-circle Venn diagram. We have 34 in Spanish, including those in French. We have 27 in French, including those in Spanish. Let's say
B = number of students taking both, which is the number the prompt question wants.
S + 2B + F = 61
B = 61 - 49 = 12
This statement gives us a clear numerical answer to the prompt question. Statement #1, alone and by itself, is sufficient.

Now, forget statement #1.

Statement #2 tell us that half the Spanish students, 17, are taking at least one more class, but we don't know how many are in French and how many are in German. The three circle situation is problematic. We can't answer the question. Statement #2, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

First statement sufficient, second insufficient. Answer = (A)

Hi Mike ,

Shouldnot 34 includes student who learn Spanish only , spanish and french , and spanish and german .

So why you did not include Spanish and German .

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 125

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8942 [1], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 17:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Ganganshu wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
S + 2B + F = 61
B = 61 - 49 = 12

Hi Mike ,

Shouldnot 34 includes student who learn Spanish only , spanish and french , and spanish and german .

So why you did not include Spanish and German .

Dear Ganganshu,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, in GMAT math, it's extremely important to distinguish what is required by mathematical rules and what is strategic. For example, if we have to solve the very simple equation 3x + 7 = 49, there would be nothing mathematically wrong to begin by multiplying both sides by 13, but that would be a spectacularly poor move in turns of strategy. That's a very simple obvious example, but you always have to be thinking in terms of both what is mathematically true and what can we do for strategic purposes.

In the prompt, the 34 students in French absolutely includes
(a) the French only students
(b) the French & Spanish students
(c) the French & German students
(d) any students in all three language classes.
That's big-picture true. In the overall picture of what is happening in this problem, this undeniably true.

Then, we get to Statement #1, which gives us a ton of information about Spanish and Spanish-French, but doesn't mention German even once. This suggests an extremely valuable strategy: let's ignore German. Let's simply pretend, for the sake of analyzing this particular statement, that the German class doesn't exist. Admittedly, this is not "true" in the largest view of the problem, but it's a simplifying assumption that allows us to focus on one aspect of problem-solving, and as it happens, the simplifying assumption leads to a definitive answer to the prompt question.

Compare this to another type of problem. Suppose I had to solve the inequality \(x^2 +4x - 45 > 0\). There are several methods of solution, but one would be to begin by solving the equation: \(x^2 +4x - 45 = 0\). It's perfectly true that in doing so, we are solving something different from what the question asked, and it's also true that the values that satisfy the equation absolutely will not satisfy this inequality. Nevertheless, this is highly productive from a strategic point of view, because the solutions to the equation form the boundary conditions that will allow us to "chunk" the number line and figure out the regions that work and don't work. The solutions to the equation are x = -9 and x = +5, and the solution to the inequality are x < -9 and x > +5.

Sometimes it is a highly strategic move to assume that something that is slightly different from what is true in the problem scenario in order to reach a solution. This happens in many areas of GMAT math, and the inability to see these routes of solution can be a huge deficit on the GMAT Quant.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8942 [1], given: 111

4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 447 [4], given: 49

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
A small School has three foreign language classes,one in French,one in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2016, 04:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG Q 2017 New Question

it is much easier if you draw it using venn diagram

download/file.php?id=27832

from stem

d+g+b+f = 34

from 1

a+d+g+e = 27 and a+e + (d+g+b+f) = 49 , thus a+e = 49-34 = 15 thus d+g = 27-15 = 12 ..... suff

from 2

17 students who are enrolled in the spanish class attend both german and french ... insuff

A

Kudos [?]: 447 [4], given: 49

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 10:33
Hey mike,

What if B = 11, F = 16, S = 23 which satisfies both the conditions that S=34(23+11) and F = 27(16+11) and S+F+B = 49(23+16+11).
However the answer to the Question asked becomes 11.

If you consider B=12, F=15, S = 23 which again satisfies all the above conditions, the answer to the question asked becomes 12.

So, i m not sure how A is sufficient to answer the Question ? I m not sure if my reasoning is right or if I'm missing something.

thanks,
Nitish

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [1], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 22:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nitishms wrote:
Hey mike,

What if B = 11, F = 16, S = 23 which satisfies both the conditions that S=34(23+11) and F = 27(16+11) and S+F+B = 49(23+16+11).
However the answer to the Question asked becomes 11.

If you consider B=12, F=15, S = 23 which again satisfies all the above conditions, the answer to the question asked becomes 12.

So, i m not sure how A is sufficient to answer the Question ? I m not sure if my reasoning is right or if I'm missing something.

thanks,
Nitish

Hi nitishms! Carolyn from Magoosh here - I'll step in for Mike :-)

It looks like you may have just made a few small calculation errors here! In the first case, you said S+F+B = 49(23+16+11). But when we add 23+16+11, we get 50 (not 49). So this case doesn't work.

And looking at your second case, if B = 12, F = 15, and S = 23, then the total number of people taking Spanish will be 23+12 = 35, not 34. So this case also doesn't work.

We can definitively solve this using the two equations that we can determine:

S + 2B + F = 61
S + F + B = 49

This system only has one solution for B, which is 12.

I hope that helps clear things up! :-)
-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 21 [1], given: 4

Re: A small School has three foreign language classes,one in French,one in   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2017, 22:51

A small School has three foreign language classes,one in French,one in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap