Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Overlapping Setsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38825 [204]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [36]
Given Kudos: 130
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1562 [27]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Send PM
Re: A small School has three foreign language classes,one in French,one in [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
A small School has three foreign language classes,one in French,one in Spanish,and one in German.How many of the 34 students enrolled in the Spanish class are also enrolled in French class?

(1)There are 27 students enrolled in the French class,and 49 students enrolled in either the French class,the Spanish class,or both of these classes.

(2) One half of the students enrolled in the Spanish class are enrolled in more than one foreign language class.

OG Q 2017 New Question

Dear AbdurRakib,
I'm happy to reply. :-) Great question!

In general, three-circle Venn diagrams are hard. It's hard to get specific information about specific regions.

Statement #1 does us the favor of making German irrelevant, so that we have a much simpler two-circle Venn diagram. We have 34 in Spanish, including those in French. We have 27 in French, including those in Spanish. Let's say
S = number of Spanish-only students
F = number of French-only students
B = number of students taking both, which is the number the prompt question wants.
We know S + B = 34 from the prompt.
We know F + B = 27 and S + F + B = 49 from Statement #1.
(S + B) + (F + B) = 34 + 27
S + 2B + F = 61
Subtract the second equation from the prompt:
B = 61 - 49 = 12
This statement gives us a clear numerical answer to the prompt question. Statement #1, alone and by itself, is sufficient.

Now, forget statement #1.

Statement #2 tell us that half the Spanish students, 17, are taking at least one more class, but we don't know how many are in French and how many are in German. The three circle situation is problematic. We can't answer the question. Statement #2, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

First statement sufficient, second insufficient. Answer = (A)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Hi Mike ,

Shouldnot 34 includes student who learn Spanish only , spanish and french , and spanish and german .

So why you did not include Spanish and German .
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [5]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: A small School has three foreign language classes,one in French,one in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Ganganshu wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
Statement #1 does us the favor of making German irrelevant, so that we have a much simpler two-circle Venn diagram. We have 34 in Spanish, including those in French. We have 27 in French, including those in Spanish. Let's say
B = number of students taking both, which is the number the prompt question wants.
S + 2B + F = 61
B = 61 - 49 = 12
This statement gives us a clear numerical answer to the prompt question. Statement #1, alone and by itself, is sufficient.

Hi Mike ,

Shouldnot 34 includes student who learn Spanish only , spanish and french , and spanish and german .

So why you did not include Spanish and German .

Dear Ganganshu,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, in GMAT math, it's extremely important to distinguish what is required by mathematical rules and what is strategic. For example, if we have to solve the very simple equation 3x + 7 = 49, there would be nothing mathematically wrong to begin by multiplying both sides by 13, but that would be a spectacularly poor move in turns of strategy. That's a very simple obvious example, but you always have to be thinking in terms of both what is mathematically true and what can we do for strategic purposes.

In the prompt, the 34 students in French absolutely includes
(a) the French only students
(b) the French & Spanish students
(c) the French & German students
(d) any students in all three language classes.
That's big-picture true. In the overall picture of what is happening in this problem, this undeniably true.

Then, we get to Statement #1, which gives us a ton of information about Spanish and Spanish-French, but doesn't mention German even once. This suggests an extremely valuable strategy: let's ignore German. Let's simply pretend, for the sake of analyzing this particular statement, that the German class doesn't exist. Admittedly, this is not "true" in the largest view of the problem, but it's a simplifying assumption that allows us to focus on one aspect of problem-solving, and as it happens, the simplifying assumption leads to a definitive answer to the prompt question.

Compare this to another type of problem. Suppose I had to solve the inequality \(x^2 +4x - 45 > 0\). There are several methods of solution, but one would be to begin by solving the equation: \(x^2 +4x - 45 = 0\). It's perfectly true that in doing so, we are solving something different from what the question asked, and it's also true that the values that satisfy the equation absolutely will not satisfy this inequality. Nevertheless, this is highly productive from a strategic point of view, because the solutions to the equation form the boundary conditions that will allow us to "chunk" the number line and figure out the regions that work and don't work. The solutions to the equation are x = -9 and x = +5, and the solution to the inequality are x < -9 and x > +5.

Sometimes it is a highly strategic move to assume that something that is slightly different from what is true in the problem scenario in order to reach a solution. This happens in many areas of GMAT math, and the inability to see these routes of solution can be a huge deficit on the GMAT Quant.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey mike,

What if B = 11, F = 16, S = 23 which satisfies both the conditions that S=34(23+11) and F = 27(16+11) and S+F+B = 49(23+16+11).
However the answer to the Question asked becomes 11.

If you consider B=12, F=15, S = 23 which again satisfies all the above conditions, the answer to the question asked becomes 12.

So, i m not sure how A is sufficient to answer the Question ? I m not sure if my reasoning is right or if I'm missing something.

thanks,
Nitish
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nitishms wrote:
Hey mike,

What if B = 11, F = 16, S = 23 which satisfies both the conditions that S=34(23+11) and F = 27(16+11) and S+F+B = 49(23+16+11).
However the answer to the Question asked becomes 11.

If you consider B=12, F=15, S = 23 which again satisfies all the above conditions, the answer to the question asked becomes 12.

So, i m not sure how A is sufficient to answer the Question ? I m not sure if my reasoning is right or if I'm missing something.

thanks,
Nitish

Hi nitishms! Carolyn from Magoosh here - I'll step in for Mike :-)

It looks like you may have just made a few small calculation errors here! In the first case, you said S+F+B = 49(23+16+11). But when we add 23+16+11, we get 50 (not 49). So this case doesn't work.

And looking at your second case, if B = 12, F = 15, and S = 23, then the total number of people taking Spanish will be 23+12 = 35, not 34. So this case also doesn't work.

We can definitively solve this using the two equations that we can determine:

S + 2B + F = 61
S + F + B = 49

This system only has one solution for B, which is 12.

I hope that helps clear things up! :-)
-Carolyn
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 263
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
A small School has three foreign language classes,one in French,one in Spanish,and one in German.How many of the 34 students enrolled in the Spanish class are also enrolled in French class?

(1)There are 27 students enrolled in the French class,and 49 students enrolled in either the French class,the Spanish class,or both of these classes.

(2) One half of the students enrolled in the Spanish class are enrolled in more than one foreign language class.

OG Q 2017 New Question

Dear AbdurRakib,
I'm happy to reply. :-) Great question!

In general, three-circle Venn diagrams are hard. It's hard to get specific information about specific regions.

S + 2B + F = 61
B = 61 - 49 = 12

Now, forget statement #1.

Statement #2 tell us that half the Spanish students, 17, are taking at least one more class, but we don't know how many are in French and how many are in German. The three circle situation is problematic. We can't answer the question. Statement #2, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

First statement sufficient, second insufficient. Answer = (A)

Hi Mike

Thank You, you actually made it easy for us.

Though I need your help, my approach to this question was like any other I would have used when 3 Venn diagrams are involved.

With 3 Vds, am unable to identify the value of "d" (attachment) to get my answer. I had done my rough which was not great to share , hence just sharing the diagram I had made and followed.

Please can you review this and advice, what am I missing.

Regards
Abhinav
Attachments

IMG_4452.JPG
IMG_4452.JPG [ 1.95 MiB | Viewed 60890 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
A small School has three foreign language classes,one in French,one in [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello Abhinav,

Mike has already explained why it is in our strategic interest to leave German aside in order to be able to solve this question. The reason that was stated for doing so is that German is never mentioned in Statement 1.

However, I do not know how to convince myself or you that it is the best way to approach a 3 Venn diagram problem in GMAT. I do not know if we can call this a thumb rule : "if one of the 3 groups isn't mentioned in a statement, pretend it doesn't exist".

The only reason that explains why somehow this approach, though seemingly absurd at the first glance, finds consensus among pretty much everyone in this thread is that it is a retired GMAT problem and the OG seems to have followed the same approach in its explanation, though it didn't explain why.

So I will urge anyone to please answer this: is this a general rule/strategy that we can follow?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [1]
Given Kudos: 3160
Send PM
A small School has three foreign language classes,one in French,one in [#permalink]
Bookmarks
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG Q 2017 New Question

We are trying to solve for how many of the Spanish Students also take French. We can set up a Venn Diagram as such (figure 1)
We know that A + B = 34 (total number of people who are taking Spanish), we are trying to solve for B

STATEMENT 1:
We know that there are a total of 27 french students (B + C = 27) and that 49 students enrolled in either French Class, Spanish Class or Both (A + B + C = 49)
We have 3 equations and 3 variables, so we can solve for B!
Statement 1 is sufficient

STATEMENT 2:
It tells us that 1/2 of the 34 Spanish Students are enrolled in either German or French. Clearly it's not enough information to get the exact # of students who are taking french, as we don't know the total # of French students, # of German students and # of overlap between all of the groups
Statement 2 is insufficient!

The answer is A
Attachments

File comment: Figure 1
Venn GMATclub.png
Venn GMATclub.png [ 12.04 KiB | Viewed 48618 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [4]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos