GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 12:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Typical Day of a UCLA MBA Student - Recording of Webinar with UCLA Adcom and Student

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Carolyn and Brett - nicely explained what is the typical day of a UCLA student. I am posting below recording of the webinar for those who could't attend this session.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Abhimahna's GMAT Story - Everything happens for a reason. :)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Re: Abhimahna's GMAT Story - Everything happens for a reason. :)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 02:22
Congrats on the success...Just curious as how come your total score is only 710 even when scaled scores are q50, v40. In my understanding it should be close to 740. Can u confirm your total score ?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 23:13
Hey, Congrats on your score and the journey you endured. I will be obliged if you can kindly debrief about how did you improve your RC and what skills did you enhance or absorb when you are lost in the passage or not able to comprehend the answer options in the questions?
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 01:15
sunny91 wrote:
Hey, Congrats on your score and the journey you endured. I will be obliged if you can kindly debrief about how did you improve your RC and what skills did you enhance or absorb when you are lost in the passage or not able to comprehend the answer options in the questions?

Hey sunny91 ,

Thanks for writing. :)

As I mentioned above, I started reading too slowly, understanding what I am reading, taking pauses to comprehend what I read so far and finally looking at the questions.

Whenever I felt lost, I stopped there and started understanding the structure of the sentence. In case you feel, you are not 100% comfortable, stop there and reread until you understand it very well. If you start doing this practice, I can assure you that after few days, you will see the improvement.

Finally, make sure you give a lot of importance to RCs. Respect them and they will respect your score till the end. :-D

Feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Good luck :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Current Student
D
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 07:55
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 00:01
abhimahna Thank for sharing your GMAT journey and Congrats you :)
About one month ago I did the Gmat prep 1 and verbal marked 20 as well. I was so freaked out cuz I target 38. Now I still got 1.5 month left to practice before going into the battle. I will apply your strategy and hopefully i'll help
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Schools: Darden '21
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 03:19
abhimahna Congratulations to such an improvement! :)

Btw, I want to ask, you mentioned that one should really takes time to understand clearly what a passage is saying. But what if I suffer by spending too much time on dwelling on a single paragraph trying to get it right and my time for questions later is greatly reduced? What do you think?
Board of Directors
V

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 03:33
mrzerog wrote:
abhimahna Congratulations to such an improvement! :)

Btw, I want to ask, you mentioned that one should really takes time to understand clearly what a passage is saying. But what if I suffer by spending too much time on dwelling on a single paragraph trying to get it right and my time for questions later is greatly reduced? What do you think?

Hi mrzerog ,

Thanks for your query. I am happy to help. :)

What I meant was if you really spend enough time understanding the overall picture/meaning of the passage, the questions would really become very easy for you.

I have seen in the past that when I was able to comprehend the passage well(may be by taking 5 minutes to do so), I ended up doing every followed question in less than 1 min. The same thing happened on my Actual Exam and Yes, it worked that time. :)

So, technically if you have 4 questions, you should spend around 7-9 minutes to answer all.

And if you actually spend 5 minutes to understand the complete gist of the passage, you won't end up spending more than 3-4 minutes to answer the questions.

This has been my personal experience and the experience of those who followed this strategy.

Let me know in case you have more queries.

All the best. :)

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 00:27
abhimahna wrote:
Hey Guys,

I made SC my habit. I got so obsessed with SC rules that whenever I hear anything wrong, I used to feel like "Let's kill this person. How can he/she use wrong usage?".

P.S: I am going to remove grammatical or silly mistakes for the next couple of days. I am also happy to add more to help everyone out there. :)

abhimahna -- let's do one or the other :lol: :lol:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 17:57
gmatns2018 wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
Hey Guys,

I made SC my habit. I got so obsessed with SC rules that whenever I hear anything wrong, I used to feel like "Let's kill this person. How can he/she use wrong usage?".

P.S: I am going to remove grammatical or silly mistakes for the next couple of days. I am also happy to add more to help everyone out there. :)

abhimahna -- let's do one or the other :lol: :lol:

Oh crap, you're going to find TONS of grammar mistakes in my posts, abhimahna! ;)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Board of Directors
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 05:58
Thank you everyone for the wishes. I have added the link to : How to make the best use of GMATClub? PART 1.

I will add many more links very soon.

Happy studying!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2018, 23:52
abhimahna Sir, This post is full of learnings and motivation.
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2018, 11:32
Great Post ! abhimahna . Trying to follow this . Keep us posted with any suggestions.

" Can't stop learning and failing"

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2018, 18:12
abhimahna, truly inspirational. Now I stuck at V24 and am targeting V38+
I had followed an online course dedicatedly for 5-6 months but somehow it didn't work for me.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 17:58
Woww. Congratulations.
And a great story.
I would thank you a lot for such detailed story which is/will be helpful for all.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 14:19
Congrutulations abhimahna! I was looking for ways to improve RC and stumbled upon your post. I understand that it is crucial to understand the structure of the passage; however, it seems like being too hung up on a sentence that is hard to comprehend will slow me down unless it gives me further insight into the overall point of the passage. My strategy has been to ignore a sentence/phrase that focuses on details. Thoughts?
Board of Directors
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 04:59
funkyshah wrote:
Congrutulations abhimahna! I was looking for ways to improve RC and stumbled upon your post. I understand that it is crucial to understand the structure of the passage; however, it seems like being too hung up on a sentence that is hard to comprehend will slow me down unless it gives me further insight into the overall point of the passage. My strategy has been to ignore a sentence/phrase that focuses on details. Thoughts?

Hey funkyshah ,

I would strongly recommend not to do that. Understanding the structure of the passage and the sentences is the best way to get the gist of the entire passage as well as understand the strong traps that inference/assumption questions types could have. I understand that this may consume your lot of time but if you practice sufficiently before your exam, it will be very easy for you to follow the strategy I suggested.

All the best :-)

Board of Directors
V
Abhimahna's GMAT Story - Everything happens for a reason. :)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 01:02
Added my tips on how to use Error Log effectively?! Enjoy. :-)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 01:33
Hi abhimahna,

I took my GMAT today and got a disappointing result - 610 (Q49,V25) while on GMAT prep mocks I scored 710(Q50,V36) and 730(Q50,V40). Clearly, verbal is my weaker area. After the test, I accepted my score thinking that if I cancel my score, I will not be able to order ESR and identify my weaknesses.

Immediately after the verbal section, I realized that I lacked on time management skills as I guessed almost last 7-8 questions of verbal section including one RC passage. Out of the the three verbal sub-sections, I know that my SC is the strongest. I thought that I'd order the ESR and see if I actually did well in SC or not. But I read the use of ESR https://gmatclub.com/forum/7-reason-why ... 93100.html and I am quite confused whether I should order one or not. The only reason I accepted the score was that I could see my ESR.

Should I still order ESR? Does it indicate for each question from 1 to 36 whether my answer was correct or not ? I think if I order one, it will take 20 days but I am planning a retake in 3 weeks as application deadlines are approaching. So will the ESR really be useful ? Also, if I cancel my score by calling GMAC now since I think it will negatively impact my applications, will I still be able to obtain ESR ?

Thanks a lot for your help ! I really hope one fine day, I will post my GMAT experience and not my queries in GMAT Club community.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 06:49
Hi abhimanha.. i could do rc and critical reasoning correctly by following slow reading strategy but only when given 3 min per question on average.. so how can we manage time if we do slowly??

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 10:28
Hi Abhimahna,

Congratulations for getting your dream college. Although a little late as i noticed its last years post. Your article is a real life example of perseverance which can help you achieve anything, its really motivating.
I joined GMAT Club some time back, as having commerce background and very weak in quant, though Verbal is also not that great but i face tough time solving quant questions. As you have used Gmat club and have a good experience, can you please help me suggesting on how to improve on quants? also is gmat club's questions enough to practice (as i get confused from studying from to many resources), does it follow the same pattern as GMAT any similar question appeared in exam?? Too many questions right! Your reply will be really helpful.
Thanks in Advanceabhimahna
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Abhimahna's GMAT Story - Everything happens for a reason. :) &nbs [#permalink] 14 Oct 2018, 10:28

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ] 

Abhimahna's GMAT Story - Everything happens for a reason. :)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap