Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Meaning/Logical Predicationx   Modifiersx   Pronounsx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [4]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [6]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Re: Almost like clones in their similarity to one another, the cheetah spe [#permalink]
I agree that E is the answer here however, I have a question for everyone.

E uses "Because of" to mention a noun "their homogeneity". Should not it use "Due To" instead of "Because Of"?

My learning says that Due is used to refer to Nouns or noun phrases and Because of is used to refer to Verbs / Clauses.

Awaiting responses from experts.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Re: Almost like clones in their similarity to one another, the cheetah spe [#permalink]
JayPatadiya wrote:

E uses "Because of" to mention a noun "their homogeneity". Should not it use "Due To" instead of "Because Of"?

My learning says that Due is used to refer to Nouns or noun phrases and Because of is used to refer to Verbs / Clauses.

JayPatadiya :- Hello Jay,

You might want to check this link from Thursdays with Ron (36 to 57 mins) :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svpmq81la1k&list=PL0LGZMx8pP21Jx8Er_L5V-HfbPn9DKY7M&index=5&t=0s

There is a difference between "due to", "because of" and "because". "Because" and "Because of" modifies verb (in this case "are vulnerable") but "because of" is a preposition and should be followed by a noun, whereas "because" will be followed by full clause.

For eg. :-
I fell off the the bike because the road was under construction.
I fell off the bike because of the poor road construction.

On the contrary, due to modifies noun and can not modify verb. Hence the construction would be "Noun" is due to "Noun"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
JayPatadiya wrote:

Hi JayPatadiya ,

You're looking in the wrong place.

...because of their homogeneity

Both because of and due to are prepositions, and will always be followed by noun phrases. That is, both of them will end in nouns (or gerunds). What you want to do is check the portion that the entire prepositional phrase modifies.

...members of the cheetah species are especially vulnerable because of their homogeneity
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
can anyone please help me understanding the below. I eliminated option E assuming "Members of " and "Species" make it redundant?

Isn't Species means a group of living organisms consisting of similar individuals, so adding "members of" make it redundant?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Almost like clones in their similarity to one another, the cheetah spe [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Geetanshu wrote:
can anyone please help me understanding the below. I eliminated option E assuming "Members of " and "Species" make it redundant?

Isn't Species means a group of living organisms consisting of similar individuals, so adding "members of" make it redundant?

Hello, Geetanshu. In option (E), members of refers to individuals within the species. The answer choice:

(E) members of the cheetah species are especially vulnerable to disease because of their homogeneity

This is no more redundant than saying something such as

individuals within the human species homo sapiens have shown extraordinary intelligence...

(I can think of plenty of counterexamples, of course, although most such people are not lurking around this kind of forum.)

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Anyone help me...with the below query

"because of" should be used as an adverb modifier. In choice E, I am seeing only auxiliary verb "are". can adverb modifier modify the auxiliary verb?.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Appreciation helps to keep me motivated.
Almost like clones in their similarity to one another, the cheetah species’ homogeneity makes them especially vulnerable to disease.

This is a comparison problem.

(A) the cheetah species’ homogeneity makes them especially vulnerable to disease
In this choice we are saying that the clones of homogeneity are similar.

(B) the cheetah species is especially vulnerable to disease because of its homogeneity
The SV pair is species is. Its refers back to the species which is correct. One issue is we are comparing clones of species. Also we need a plural noun to compare since we have their in the underlined portion of the sentence. Lets hang on to this choice until we find a better one.

(C) the homogeneity of the cheetah species makes it especially vulnerable to disease
Again this choice repeats the error in choice A the clones of homogeneity are not compared.

(D) homogeneity makes members of the cheetah species especially vulnerable to disease
Again this choice repeats the error in choice A the clones of homogeneity are not compared.

(E) members of the cheetah species are especially vulnerable to disease because of their homogeneity
In this choice members are like clones. The SV pair is members are. Their refers to members.
This choice is much better than choice B

Answer is E.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
gamjatang wrote:
Almost like clones in their similarity to one another, the cheetah species’ homogeneity makes them especially vulnerable to disease.

(A) the cheetah species’ homogeneity makes them especially vulnerable to disease

(B) the cheetah species is especially vulnerable to disease because of its homogeneity

(C) the homogeneity of the cheetah species makes it especially vulnerable to disease

(D) homogeneity makes members of the cheetah species especially vulnerable to disease

This question is based on Modifiers and Pronouns.

The sentence begins with a modifier - Almost like clones in their similarity to one another.

In Option A, the placement of the phrase “the cheetah species’ homogeneity” makes ‘homogeneity’ the subject of the modifier at the beginning of the sentence, thereby creating an error of dangling modifier. Furthermore, the plural pronoun ‘their’ in the underlined portion cannot refer to the singular noun ‘homogeneity’. So, Option A can be ruled out.

Option B corrects the error of dangling modifier by placing the noun ‘the cheetah species’ at the beginning of the underlined portion. However, there is again an error of pronoun reference because the pronoun ‘their’ in the non-underlined portion of the sentence cannot refer to the singular noun ‘species’. So, Option B can be ruled out.

In Option C, the placement of the noun ‘homogeneity’ makes it the subject of the modifier, thereby making the modifier a dangling one. The pronoun reference error is repeated in this option too. So, Option C can also be ruled out.

The construction of Option D is different from the other options, but in this option too, the noun ‘homogeneity’ acts as the subject of the modifier and also creates a pronoun reference error. So, Option D can also be ruled out.

“Members of the cheetah species” can be logically said to be almost like clones in their similarity to one another. So, the error of dangling modifier is avoided in this option. Since the plural pronoun ‘their’ can refer to the plural noun ‘members’, the pronoun reference error is also avoided in this option. Therefore, E is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
GMATNinja wrote:
Much of the action is in the non-underlined portion of this sentence: “Almost like clones in their similarity to one another...” That phrase includes the plural pronoun “their”, so it needs to be followed by a plural noun that could reasonably be described as “like clones” in terms of their similarity to each other.

With that in mind…

Quote:

(A) definitely doesn’t work, because “the cheetah species’ homogeneity” is singular, and it’s unreasonable to say that the “homogeneity” is “almost like clones in their similarity to one another.”

So (A) is out.

Quote:

The trouble here is that “the cheetah species” is singular, and once again, a singular species can’t logically be described as “almost like clones in their similarity to one another.” (And in case you’re wondering: yes, “species” can also be plural, but in this case, it’s followed by “is”, and then “its” refers back to “species” later in the sentence. So “species” is definitely singular in this particular sentence.)

We can eliminate (B), too.

Quote:

(C) repeats the exact same error as (A): “the homogeneity” is singular, and it’s still totally unreasonable to say that the “homogeneity” is “almost like clones in their similarity to one another.”

That takes care of (C).

Quote:

(D) rearranges a few things, but the heart of the problem is still completely the same as in (A) and (C): “homogeneity” is singular, and it’s once again unreasonable to say that the “homogeneity” is “almost like clones in their similarity to one another.”

(D) is gone, and I really hope we like (E), or else we’ll be starting over…

Quote:

Yup, this is fine! “Members” is plural, and it makes sense to say that “members of the cheetah species” are “almost like clones in their similarity to one another.”

“Their” also jumps out at me at the end of the sentence, and that’s fine, too: “their” refers to “members of the cheetah species.”

So (E) is our winner.

Hi GMATNinja
if we ignore singularity and plurality in option B, does it make sense for Cheetah species to be modified by Almost like clones in their similarity to one another. I mean is it meaningful for cheetah species to be similar like clones or it should be the species member?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Almost like clones in their similarity to one another, the cheetah spe [#permalink]

(A) the cheetah species’ homogeneity makes them especially vulnerable to disease-> them refers to possessive noun. Which is incorrect. And Does "the cheetah species’ homogeneity almost like clones". Singular and Plural issue. Not underlined part is driving the modifier here.

(B) the cheetah species is especially vulnerable to disease because of its homogeneity-> Does "the cheetah species homogeneity almost like clones". Please note- the cheetah species is singular and clones plural.

(C) the homogeneity of the cheetah species makes it especially vulnerable to disease-> the homogeneity of the cheetah species is singular can't modify clones.

(D) homogeneity makes members of the cheetah species especially vulnerable to disease-> Same problem as C.

(E) members of the cheetah species are especially vulnerable to disease because of their homogeneity-> Members of is plural and makes sense with clones.

So, I think E. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM

(A) the cheetah species’ homogeneity makes them especially vulnerable to disease X

"homogeneity" cannot be said to be 'almost like clones in their similarity'...its the members of the cheetah species that are like clones

(B) the cheetah species is especially vulnerable to disease because of its homogeneity X

Be careful with this. It's the main trap choice. Cheetah SPECIES are not like clones...

(C) the homogeneity of the cheetah species makes it especially vulnerable to disease X

Same issue as above

(D) homogeneity makes members of the cheetah species especially vulnerable to disease X

This one is a subtle twist of C...here we actually have no idea what exactly is 'almost like clones'

(E) members of the cheetah species are especially vulnerable to disease because of their homogeneity Correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Much of the action is in the non-underlined portion of this sentence: “Almost like clones in their similarity to one another...” That phrase includes the plural pronoun “their”, so it needs to be followed by a plural noun that could reasonably be described as “like clones” in terms of their similarity to each other.

With that in mind…

Quote:

(A) definitely doesn’t work, because “the cheetah species’ homogeneity” is singular, and it’s unreasonable to say that the “homogeneity” is “almost like clones in their similarity to one another.”

So (A) is out.

AndrewN - Could you please correct me if I am wrong:
species' must be possessive plural here.
As species's is possessive singular. (eg: bus's- possessive singular; buses'- possessive plural)

So, "their" (plural pronoun) has a clear plural referent, "species'". Since the possessive form of pronoun (such as, its/their/her/his) can have a possessive referent (such as, clone's/cheetah's). But non-possessive pronoun (such as, it/they) cannot have possessive referent (such as, clone/cheetah)- this is possessive poison's rule. Right?

I understand that Option A is wrong for other reasons (illogical comparison of clones and homogeneity).

Quote:
Quote:

The trouble here is that “the cheetah species” is singular, and once again, a singular species can’t logically be described as “almost like clones in their similarity to one another.” (And in case you’re wondering: yes, “species” can also be plural, but in this case, it’s followed by “is”, and then “its” refers back to “species” later in the sentence. So “species” is definitely singular in this particular sentence.)

We can eliminate (B), too.

Quote:

(C) repeats the exact same error as (A): “the homogeneity” is singular, and it’s still totally unreasonable to say that the “homogeneity” is “almost like clones in their similarity to one another.”

That takes care of (C).

Quote:

(D) rearranges a few things, but the heart of the problem is still completely the same as in (A) and (C): “homogeneity” is singular, and it’s once again unreasonable to say that the “homogeneity” is “almost like clones in their similarity to one another.”

(D) is gone, and I really hope we like (E), or else we’ll be starting over…

Quote:

Yup, this is fine! “Members” is plural, and it makes sense to say that “members of the cheetah species” are “almost like clones in their similarity to one another.”

“Their” also jumps out at me at the end of the sentence, and that’s fine, too: “their” refers to “members of the cheetah species.”

So (E) is our winner.
Volunteer Expert
Kudos
Expert Reply
Pankaj0901 wrote:
AndrewN - Could you please correct me if I am wrong:
species' must be possessive plural here.
As species's is possessive singular. (eg: bus's- possessive singular; buses'- possessive plural)

So, "their" (plural pronoun) has a clear plural referent, "species'". Since the possessive form of pronoun (such as, its/their/her/his) can have a possessive referent (such as, clone's/cheetah's). But non-possessive pronoun (such as, it/they) cannot have possessive referent (such as, clone/cheetah)- this is possessive poison's rule. Right?

I understand that Option A is wrong for other reasons (illogical comparison of clones and homogeneity).

Hello, Pankaj0901. The word species can be singular or plural (like other GMAC™ favorites such as moose or deer). The cheetah as a species of animal would be singular. Many species of cat, more or less types of cats, would be plural. To compound the problem, you cannot go by the apostrophe either, since singular words that end in -s are acceptable without an extra -s after an apostrophe. For instance, Moses' coat is the same as Moses's coat in modern English grammar. (I have heard things were a little different in the middle of the last century.) Your bus example is different, since bus is singular while buses is plural. In (A), them seems to be singling out multiple cheetahs, but the possessive, however you interpret it, is a reference to the species only, not to individual animals. In short, there should surely be a better way to express whatever the original sentence is hoping to convey, and that is all we need to see it off.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Thank you so much AndrewN. I almost get it, just a few last-mile queries.

AndrewN wrote:
Hello, Pankaj0901. The word species can be singular or plural (like other GMAC™ favorites such as moose or deer). The cheetah as a species of animal would be singular. Many species of cat, more or less types of cats, would be plural. To compound the problem, you cannot go by the apostrophe either, since singular words that end in -s are acceptable without an extra -s after an apostrophe. For instance, Moses' coat is the same as Moses's coat in modern English grammar. (I have heard things were a little different in the middle of the last century.) Your bus example is different, since bus is singular while buses is plural.

My understanding of species' as "necessarily" to be a plural possessive was wrong. Species' could be singular possessive as well. (No issues until here)

Now, we need to figure out from other clues in the given sentence if species' is singular or plural possessive.

AndrewN wrote:
In (A), them seems to be singling out multiple cheetahs, but the possessive, however you interpret it, is a reference to the species only, not to individual animals. In short, there should surely be a better way to express whatever the original sentence is hoping to convey, and that is all we need to see it off.

Not sure if I understood this correctly-
Does this mean: "them" (plural pronoun) refers to species'.
Then this implies that species' must be plural? If yes (species' is plural)- then "their" does have a referent species'. Right?

I was just trying to understand if it's right to eliminate the option just by the fact that "their" does not have any referent.
Volunteer Expert
Kudos
Expert Reply
Pankaj0901 wrote:
Thank you so much AndrewN. I almost get it, just a few last-mile queries.

AndrewN wrote:
Hello, Pankaj0901. The word species can be singular or plural (like other GMAC™ favorites such as moose or deer). The cheetah as a species of animal would be singular. Many species of cat, more or less types of cats, would be plural. To compound the problem, you cannot go by the apostrophe either, since singular words that end in -s are acceptable without an extra -s after an apostrophe. For instance, Moses' coat is the same as Moses's coat in modern English grammar. (I have heard things were a little different in the middle of the last century.) Your bus example is different, since bus is singular while buses is plural.

My understanding of species' as "necessarily" to be a plural possessive was wrong. Species' could be singular possessive as well. (No issues until here)

Now, we need to figure out from other clues in the given sentence if species' is singular or plural possessive.

AndrewN wrote:
In (A), them seems to be singling out multiple cheetahs, but the possessive, however you interpret it, is a reference to the species only, not to individual animals. In short, there should surely be a better way to express whatever the original sentence is hoping to convey, and that is all we need to see it off.

Not sure if I understood this correctly-
Does this mean: "them" (plural pronoun) refers to species'.
Then this implies that species' must be plural? If yes (species' is plural)- then "their" does have a referent species'. Right?

I was just trying to understand if it's right to eliminate the option just by the fact that "their" does not have any referent.

Hello again, Pankaj0901. You could make a case that them in (A) was referring back to the cheetah species, even though that would require divorcing the possessive from the singular homogeneity that follows, as well as interpreting species as a plural noun (as in, many species of cheetah). But now we are getting all twisted up in an effort to qualify a pronoun, and that should not be the case if the sentence is written clearly, right? I would abandon the sentence as soon as I hit them.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

With that in mind…

Hi GMATNinja,
I haven't completely grasped the point of your explanation.
why it need to be followed by a plural noun, just because of "their" in the non-underlined portion?
first, i think "their" refers to "clones"
second, i don't thinks plural noun need follow because i read a sentence from MANHATTAN SC guidance:
UNLKIE her parents, she has green eyes --her parents is plural noun, she is singular,

Many posts discussed in this forum point out that it need to be followed by a plural noun because of their, but i havenot gotten. Please help,

Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, MagooshExpert Carolyn,
sayantanc2
VeritasPrepKarishma

if you experts are available, please join.

Thanks in advance

Have a nice day
>_~

Good question! Let's start with the example you encountered: "Unlike her parents, she has green eyes." Notice that when we see the possessive pronoun "her," we haven't come across a referent (the noun the pronoun refers to) yet. Because "her" is singular, we know that the referent, once it appears, will be singular. So it makes perfect sense that the subject is "she," right?

Imagine that we change the beginning of the sentence to "Unlike their parents..." Now the pronoun, "their" is plural, so our expectation is that the coming referent will be plural. Consequently, we might see something like, "Unlike their parents, the Smith girls have little interest in money laundering." Our plural pronoun, "their," refers to the subsequent plural subject, "the Smith girls." The point is that in each instance it's the pronoun that dictates what type of noun will come next.

Back to the original construction: “Almost like clones in their similarity to one another...”

This is similar to our second example above. Just as "Unlike their parents," is setting up the expectation for a plural noun to come, "Almost like clones in their similarity," is doing the exact same thing. And just as "their" doesn't refer to "parents" in the first case - it refers to whomever we're comparing the parents to - "their" doesn't refer to "clones" in the second case, but rather to a plural noun that is being compared to clones later in the sentence.

I hope that helps!

dear AndrewN,

I am still not sure why their cannot refer to clones. and why subject of the main clause should be plural

unlike clones, what kind of clones, the distinctness is "in their similarity", so I still think their refers to clones, and the subject of the main clause is not necessary plural.

I appreciate your explanation .
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [0]
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
dear AndrewN,

I am still not sure why their cannot refer to clones. and why subject of the main clause should be plural

unlike clones, what kind of clones, the distinctness is "in their similarity", so I still think their refers to clones, and the subject of the main clause is not necessary plural.

I appreciate your explanation .

Hello, zoezhuyan. I agree with what GMATNinja wrote in response to your earlier query. To avoid needless repetition, I thought I would address the issue by encouraging you to allow their to refer to clones in the first part of the original sentence:

Quote:
Almost like clones in clones' similarity to one another...

My question is this: what else are clones if not beings that are understood to be identical to one another? Would the GMAT™ sanction such a seemingly redundant structure when the sentence could simply state, Almost like clones and launch into the comparison? No, their cannot refer to clones. The pronoun must be a reference to something else, something clone-like, for the opening comparison to make sense. This realization forces us into an understanding that their, the plural possessive pronoun, will refer to something plural in the main clause, whatever is clone-like. Finally, you should be attuned to the many ways in which introductory phrases and clauses precede a false subject on the GMAT™. Simply put, the test prefers the subject right after that first comma, once the introductory phrase/clause has resolved. Anything else can lead to a nonsensical interpretation. With all of that said, we should be interpreting the sentence in the following manner:

Almost like clones in their similarity to one another, [plural noun that is clone-like] + predicate

(A), (C), and (D) should all be easy eliminations—homogeneity is neither clone-like nor plural—and although species in (B) could be seen on its own as singular or plural, the verb is that follows tells us to interpret it as singular, so we have a basic subject-verb agreement error. (I hope you would not make the argument that a plural possessive pronoun can be used on the GMAT™ to introduce a singular subject. If you can find an official example to back up the notion, I will revise my position.) That leaves us with (E) as the only plausible answer.

I hope that adds some clarity to the matter. I know it can be hard sometimes to break the habit of interpreting a sentence only in the way you want to see it, but trust me, as soon as you start to let go of the notion that you know what the sentence is aiming to say, you will pick up on issues that make eliminations easier.

Thank you for thinking to ask me about this one.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts