GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 07:58

Starting NOW!

How to Manage Stress and Anxiety on the GMAT - Live Chat.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Among the important themes that characterize Chinese history are the p

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Among the important themes that characterize Chinese history are the p  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2014, 02:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

26% (02:27) correct 74% (02:18) wrong based on 3258 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Among the important themes that characterize Chinese history are the patterns of dynastic rise and fall, intermittent aggression from northern aliens, and varying degrees of openness to outside cultural influences and the dynamics of stability and social harmony.

A. Among the important themes that characterize Chinese history are the patterns of dynastic rise and fall, intermittent aggression from northern aliens, and varying degrees of openness to outside cultural influences and the dynamics of stability and social harmony

B. Among the important themes that characterize Chinese history are the patterns of dynastic rise and fall, and intermittent aggression from northern aliens, together with varying degrees of openness to outside cultural influences and the dynamics of stability and social harmony

C. The important themes that characterize Chinese history are the patterns of dynastic rise and fall, intermittent aggression from northern aliens, along with varying degrees of openness to outside cultural influences and the dynamics of stability and social harmony

D. Among the important themes of Chinese history are the patterns of dynastic rise and fall, intermittent aggression from northern aliens, varying degrees of openness to outside cultural influences and the dynamics of stability and social harmony that characterize its history

E. The important theme that characterizes Chinese history is the pattern of dynastic rise and fall, intermittent aggression from northern aliens, along with varying degrees of openness to outside cultural influences and the dynamics of stability and social harmony

OA: B
OE:
A. There is no need for –and- between and varying degrees
B. Correct choice; there are two primary themes and some other additional themes as marked by ‘together with’
C. And is missing between ‘rise and fall’ and ‘intermittent aggression’
D. ‘that characterize its history’ is out of place
E. There are more than one theme. The choice talks of only one theme and not conjoined well with other themes.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Re: Among the important themes that characterize Chinese history are the p  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2014, 10:57
We see following four lists in Qn:
P--> the patterns of dynastic rise and fall,
Q--> intermittent aggression from northern aliens,
R--> varying degrees of openness to outside cultural influences
S--> the dynamics of stability and social harmony

List P & Q are noun clauses that needs to be parallel
List R & S are adjective clauses that needs to be parallel

Now let us check each of the options:

A. Among the important themes that characterize Chinese history are the patterns of dynastic rise and fall, intermittent aggression from northern aliens, and varying degrees of openness to outside cultural influences and the dynamics of stability and social harmony
Incorrect, P,Q,R & S cannot be parallel simultaneously as they belong to different clause category.

B. Among the important themes that characterize Chinese history are the patterns of dynastic rise and fall, and intermittent aggression from northern aliens, together with varying degrees of openness to outside cultural influences and the dynamics of stability and social harmony
Correct. P is parallel to Q, [connector] R is parallel to S

C. The important themes that characterize Chinese history are the patterns of dynastic rise and fall, intermittent aggression from northern aliens, along with varying degrees of openness to outside cultural influences and the dynamics of stability and social harmony
Incorrect. Here Q follows P but is not separated by parallel marker "and". R is parallel to S.

D. Among the important themes of Chinese history are the patterns of dynastic rise and fall, intermittent aggression from northern aliens, varying degrees of openness to outside cultural influences and the dynamics of stability and social harmony that characterize its history
Incorrect. Same as A. Also the phrase "the dynamics of stability and social harmony that characterize its history" changes the intended meaning of "themes that characterize its history"

E. The important theme that characterizes Chinese history is the pattern of dynastic rise and fall, intermittent aggression from northern aliens, along with varying degrees of openness to outside cultural influences and the dynamics of stability and social harmony
Incorrect. Same as C

Answer: B

Hope this helps!
General Discussion
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.3
Re: Among the important themes that characterize Chinese history are the p  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2015, 07:12
Among the important themes that characterize Chinese history are the patterns of dynastic rise and fall, intermittent aggression from northern aliens, and varying degrees of openness to outside cultural influences and the dynamics of stability and social harmony

Incorrect. "and varying degrees of openness .. and the dynamics ... " is not correct. For this to be correctly listed as one element in a list, varying degrees of [openness to outside cultural influences] and [x] have to be parallel. Here, "the dynamics of stability and social harmony" attempts to incorrectly parallel "openness to outside cultural influences". Perhaps removing the "the" before dynamics corrects this.

Correct. B averts the problem in A, where too much content has been jammed in the last element of a set. The first set of {"patterns of dynastic rise and fall" and "intermittent agression"} is clearly separated and rather elegantly paralleled to the second set of {"varying degrees of openness" and "dynamics of stability and social harmony"}, each of which in itself is parallel.

Incorrect. Changes the meaning by omitting the "among".

Incorrect. Changes the meaning by misplacing the "characterize its history" at the end, suggesting that the previously listed elements do not characterize history.

Incorrect. Subject and verb do not agree. "Important theme" and goes on to list multiple items.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: Marshall '19
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2016, 12:40
riskietech wrote:

Incorrect, P,Q,R & S cannot be parallel simultaneously as they belong to different clause category.

Incorrect. Here Q follows P but is not separated by parallel marker "and". R is parallel to S.

Incorrect. Same as A. Also the phrase "the dynamics of stability and social harmony that characterize its history" changes the intended meaning of "themes that characterize its history"

Incorrect. Same as C

Hope this helps!

I have a number of issues with your explanation:

1) I can see R being an adj clause (though I do not really agree as I still think it is a noun clause), but not S...S seems to me as a noun clause (the dynamics...); I feel the 4 should be parallel

2) I have a problem with this transition:"the patterns of dynastic rise and fall, and intermittent aggression from northern aliens..." --> the comma before "and" should not be there since "intermittent aggression from northern aliens" is a dependent clause, a second object compared to one (if your case that two noun clauses should be parallel, thus it should be "A and B", not "A, and B").

I am just not convinced. I still think the best answer is D, though I don't particularly like that one either.

Please explain further if I am missing something. Thanks
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 00:20
Top Contributor
RatneshS wrote:
riskietech wrote:

Incorrect. Same as C

Hope this helps!

In option B
A,and B is a wrong usage
correct usage is A,B,and C

You are right about the coorect usage ( A,B,and C),However, if you join 2 clauses with and, you can put an optional comma before the and.

In option B, A and B are two clauses.So, A,and B is correct

Additionally,punctuation is not tested on this exam.

don't worry about whether a comma should be placed in front of "and". that's almost entirely a stylistic issue, and thus beyond the scope of this exam.
See details in Manhattanprep forum

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2016, 07:07
nghatri wrote:
riskietech wrote:

Incorrect. Same as C

Hope this helps!

1) I can see R being an adj clause (though I do not really agree as I still think it is a noun clause), but not S...S seems to me as a noun clause (the dynamics...); I feel the 4 should be parallel

2) I have a problem with this transition:"the patterns of dynastic rise and fall, and intermittent aggression from northern aliens..." --> the comma before "and" should not be there since "intermittent aggression from northern aliens" is a dependent clause, a second object compared to one (if your case that two noun clauses should be parallel, thus it should be "A and B", not "A, and B").

I am just not convinced. I still think the best answer is D, though I don't particularly like that one either.

I prefer A; I do not understand the parallelism as explained by other users.

I do not believe that R and S are adjective clauses; What noun are they adjectives of?

S is parallel to P.

“Among the important themes that characterize Chinese history are the patterns of… and the dynamics of ...”

The parallelism between P, Q, and R are modifiers of the patterns.
“are the patterns of dynastic rise and fall, intermittent aggression from northern aliens, and varying degrees of openness to outside cultural influences”

the patterns of dynastic rise and fall
the patterns of intermittent aggression from northern aliens
the patterns of varying degrees of openness to outside cultural influences

A. Among the important themes that characterize Chinese history are the patterns of dynastic rise and fall, intermittent aggression from northern aliens, and varying degrees of openness to outside cultural influences and the dynamics of stability and social harmony.

Clipper Ledgard
GMAT Coach

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2017, 22:56
cledgard wrote:
nghatri wrote:
riskietech wrote:

Incorrect. Same as C

Hope this helps!

I prefer A; I do not understand the parallelism as explained by other users.

I do not believe that R and S are adjective clauses; What noun are they adjectives of?

S is parallel to P.

“Among the important themes that characterize Chinese history are the patterns of… and the dynamics of ...”

The parallelism between P, Q, and R are modifiers of the patterns.
“are the patterns of dynastic rise and fall, intermittent aggression from northern aliens, and varying degrees of openness to outside cultural influences”

the patterns of dynastic rise and fall
the patterns of intermittent aggression from northern aliens
the patterns of varying degrees of openness to outside cultural influences

A. Among the important themes that characterize Chinese history are the patterns of dynastic rise and fall, intermittent aggression from northern aliens, and varying degrees of openness to outside cultural influences and the dynamics of stability and social harmony.

cledgard,
Sir,

Initially I went with A too.But the use of "," before the and makes it a little difficult to qualify as a right choice.It actually makes the "the dynamics of stability and social harmony" parallel with "varying degrees of openness ...."whereas it should parallel with all the other noun clause.Please notify me if I'm wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 20:15
sayantanc2k wrote:
arbar88 wrote:
In option D, the list needs a "," and. Am I right?

In a list of 3 or more items, comma before "and" is optional - however in general, GMAT sentences include this comma.

Hi @sayantanc2! Please clarify my doubt, many thanks for you!

--> Is , and before intermittent wrong? I think comma (,) in this case is redundant because we have a list with only two identities: the patterns of dynastic rise and fall and intermittent aggression from northern aliens.

Please explain the use of together with in option B and C?

Does along with require any specific puntuation or parallelism?

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 08:28
According to the official explanation, A is wrong because there is an extra "and" -- P,Q,and R and S.
It should be P,Q,R,and S.
Hence, choice B, is not very good in structure, but a compromised version of comparison that is grammatically correct.

The parallelism among P,Q,R,S here is not an issue. R and S are noun clauses.
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 11:53
leanhdung wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
arbar88 wrote:
In option D, the list needs a "," and. Am I right?

In a list of 3 or more items, comma before "and" is optional - however in general, GMAT sentences include this comma.

Hi @sayantanc2! Please clarify my doubt, many thanks for you!

--> Is , and before intermittent wrong? I think comma (,) in this case is redundant because we have a list with only two identities: the patterns of dynastic rise and fall and intermittent aggression from northern aliens.

Please explain the use of together with in option B and C?

Does along with require any specific puntuation or parallelism?

(A and B), and (C). If the first element consists of an "and" it is better to use a comma before the second element for clarifying that the grouping is not A and (B and C). Without a comma (i.e. A and B and C), the grouping would not be clear.

The part "together with.." is a prepositional phrase modifier referring to "patterns" and "aggression". Since here it is used as a non-essential modifier, a comma is used before "together".
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.7
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 09:45
I though "among...is..."
also, "together with..." is an idiom on gmat?
Is the source of this question reliable?
What are grammar issues in this question?
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 10:13
skidstorm wrote:
I though "among...is..."
also, "together with..." is an idiom on gmat?
Is the source of this question reliable?
What are grammar issues in this question?

whether among goes with plural or singular verb depends the the objects.
If objects are plural, then we have to use plural verb after among.
The question is from gmatprep.
2 main issues are "among" and subject verb agreement.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2018, 08:25
i rejected C & E because they distort the meaning by removing ( among)
rejected D because it didnt mention "characterise"
rejected A becuase of 2 ' and ' basically non parallel.
i am unable to conclude what others are refering to as noun clause and adjective clause in the comment section
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Among the important themes that characterize Chinese history are the p &nbs [#permalink] 18 Sep 2018, 08:25

Among the important themes that characterize Chinese history are the p

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap