GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 12:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Analysts believe that whereas bad decisions by elected leaders can cer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
S
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge
Analysts believe that whereas bad decisions by elected leaders can cer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Jan 2018, 08:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (00:52) correct 22% (01:01) wrong based on 1117 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Analysts believe that whereas bad decisions by elected leaders can certainly hurt the economy, no administration can really be said to control or manage all of the complex and interrelated forces that determine the nation's economic strength.

(A) no administration can really be said to control
(B) no administration can be said that it really controls
(C) that no administration can really be said to control
(D) that no administration can really be said that it controls
(E) that it cannot be said that any administration really controls

Originally posted by keats on 16 Oct 2015, 23:51.
Last edited by Skywalker18 on 15 Jan 2018, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
added spoiler
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Expert Post
14 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Analysts believe that whereas bad decisions by elected leaders can cer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2015, 00:24
The gist of the topic is the contrast that is brought out by the word ‘whereas”. It means that while the first part is negative, the admin cannot do much about it; for this the second sentence has to be an IC. By introducing the word, ‘that”, the contrast is lost and the clasue becomes anther subordinate clause

Between A an B, B suffers bad verbal parallelism in saying ‘controls or manage’. A eventually

Nice question

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

General Discussion
Current Student
S
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge
Re: Analysts believe that whereas bad decisions by elected leaders can cer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2015, 00:45
daagh wrote:
The gist of the topic is the contrast that is brought out by the word ‘whereas”. It means that while the first part is negative, the admin cannot do much about it; for this the second sentence has to be an IC. By introducing the word, ‘that”, the contrast is lost and the clasue becomes anther subordinate clause

Between A an B, B suffers bad verbal parallelism in saying ‘controls or manage’. A eventually

Nice question

Thanks daagh

Very succinctly explained. Cheers
Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2015, 01:58
B is also wrong because wordy

Administration and IT is a lot redundant

A question like this on the real test would need no more than 10 seconds approach

C D and E go for the usage of that after comma - have no sense in the economy of the sentence. B is wordy. A and move on

Regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2017, 09:27
daagh wrote:

Nice question

Hi daagh,

Great explanation. I had another question regarding (B). Besides the issue you pointed out, can "no administration can be said that" also be an issue. Though I can not articulate the error, it seems off.

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2017, 09:40
Analysts believe that whereas bad decisions by elected leaders can certainly hurt the economy, no administration can really be said to control or manage all of the complex and interrelated forces that determine the nation's economic strength.

Issues: Conjunction | Meaning

Analysis:
1. "whereas" in non-underlined portion is the subordinate clause and what should follow comma is an independent clause (contrasted by the sub-ordinate clause).

A. No administration can really be said to control - Correct

B. No administration can be said that it really controls
- "said that" changes the meaning of the sentence
- "it" redundant
- "controls" not parallel with non-underlined "manage" (based on non-underlined word, government here is treated as plural)

C. That no administration can really be said to control
- Usage of "that"

D. That no administration can really be said that it controls
- Usage of "that"

E. That it cannot be said that any administration really controls
- Usage of "that"
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.78
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 11:23
I thought that it is not correct to write
to verb or verb - to control or manage
and the right way is to verb or to verb - to control or to manage

Am I wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 18:39

A. No administration can really be said to control (Correct)
B. No administration can be said that it really controls (Controls is not parallel with manage)
C. That no administration can really be said to control (Second part of sentence cannot start with That)
D. That no administration can really be said that it controls (Same as C)
E. That it cannot be said that any administration really controls (Same as C)

Kudos please if you like my explanation!

Kindly hit kudos if my post helps!

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 20:58
eysh wrote:
I thought that it is not correct to write
to verb or verb - to control or manage
and the right way is to verb or to verb - to control or to manage

Am I wrong?

Hi,

In my opinion, it is not necessarily the case. For example:
Jon attends Math class to meet new friends and (to) improve his academic skills.
The word "to" before "improve" is just omitted. We can understand that "improve his academic skills" and "meet new friends" are 2 purposes of Jon attending Math class.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, International Business

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 01:25
I have a small doubt here- That whereas bad decision(X), No administration (Y) is the correct form. So if the format would have been this way - whereas that bad decisions (X) that no administration (Y) is this the correct form ?? Need help
Expert Post
Top Contributor
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 03:45
Top Contributor
longhaul
Certainly no; In a complex sentence like the one here, if the first part is a dependent clause because of the subordinate conjunction 'whereas', the following clause has to be an IC. If you start the second with a 'that', then it also turns into a DC. That will be grammatically wrong.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Analysts believe that whereas bad decisions by elected leaders can cer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2018, 18:21
GMATNinjaTwo generis GMATNinja

Can experts comment on usage of REALLY in (A)/ (B)

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 06:38
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinjaTwo generis GMATNinja

Can experts comment on usage of REALLY in (A)/ (B)

Clever question! "Really" is an adverb and hence must refer to a verb. In option A,"really" refers to the verb "be said" (implying, saying cannot be real), whereas in option B "really" refers to the verb "controls" (implying, controlling cannot be real).
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 02:36

Hi guys.

Looking for a clarification and will appreciate the help.

What is the structure of the original sentence? I thought its IC, IC. Because in the first part of the sentence we have sub Analysts and verb believe. So the first part becomes an IC. Also, the second part of the sentence has the subject "administration" and the verb is "can". Therefore second part of the sentence is also an IC.

So if the construction is IC, IC. Then this construction is wrong and hence A is wrong. But that's not the case as OA is A.

1. Well Begun is Half done
2. He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.
3. The night is darkest just before the dawn

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 03:27
Rocket7 wrote:

Hi guys.

Looking for a clarification and will appreciate the help.

What is the structure of the original sentence? I thought its IC, IC. Because in the first part of the sentence we have sub Analysts and verb believe. So the first part becomes an IC. Also, the second part of the sentence has the subject "administration" and the verb is "can". Therefore second part of the sentence is also an IC.

So if the construction is IC, IC. Then this construction is wrong and hence A is wrong. But that's not the case as OA is A.

Hi, the second part of the sentence is not an IC, it's in the form whereas X, Y and Both X and Y are clauses.

Analysts believe that whereas X, Y.

'that' I believe is used as a conjunction and requires a clause after it.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Re: Analysts believe that whereas bad decisions by elected leaders can cer   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2018, 03:27

Analysts believe that whereas bad decisions by elected leaders can cer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap