GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Mar 2019, 22:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2005, 08:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

41% (01:58) correct 59% (01:46) wrong based on 54 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and return in a year or else she will quit her job there; but she would not do either one unless she were offered a one-year teaching fellowship at a prestigious university. Technocomp will allow her to take a leave of absence if it does not find out that she has been offered the fellowship, but not otherwise. Therefore, Ann will quit her job at Technocomp only if Technocomp finds out she has been offered the fellowship.

Which one of the following, if assumed, allows the conclusion above to be properly drawn?
(A) Technocomp will find out about Ann being offered the fellowship only if someone informs on her.
(B) The reason Ann wants the fellowship is so she can quit her job at Technocomp.
(C) Technocomp does not allow any of its employees to take a leave of absence in order to work for one of its competitors.
(D) Ann will take a leave of absence if Technocomp allows her to take a leave of absence.
(E) Ann would be offered the fellowship only if she quit her job at Technocomp
Manager
Manager
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2005, 09:06
I like A. I think this tips it off "will allow her to take a leave of absence if it does not find out that she has been offered the fellowship".
VP
VP
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2005, 09:08
D)...ann will quit her job only if technocomp finds out... thats means she wants to stay at technocomp and will leave only in this special case. thats exactly what D) says. when t. offers her the job, then she will take it. when will t. offer her the job ? only when it doesnt find out !

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

SVP
SVP
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2005, 10:14
christoph wrote:
D)...ann will quit her job only if technocomp finds out... thats means she wants to stay at technocomp and will leave only in this special case. thats exactly what D) says. when t. offers her the job, then she will take it. when will t. offer her the job ? only when it doesnt find out !

I'm not to convinced but I still pick D.
VP
VP
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2005, 10:44
laxieqv wrote:
christoph wrote:

I'm not to convinced but I still pick D.

you are not convinced ? ok. lets see:

=>Ann will quit her job at Technocomp only if Technocomp finds out she has been offered the fellowship=if Technocomp finds NOT out she has been offered the fellowship, Ann will NOT quit her job at Technocomp. when she will not quit her job, she will accept a leave of absence. the required condition for this to happen is that technocomp finds NOT out about her offer. so for the conlusion to be true we must exclude that technocomp finds out and as a consequence ann accepts a leave of absence. D) states =>Ann will take a leave of absence if Technocomp allows her to take a leave of absence<=the required condition for this to be true is that technocomp did not find and the consequence is that ann accepts a leave of absence.

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

VP
VP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Re: CR:Technocomp  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2010, 12:14
If she is awarded with the scolarship, but the company does not find that out, and therefore allow her to take a leave of absence, but she does not take the leave (D), in that case she can quite without the company knowing anything about the scholarship.

Hope that helped.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2010, 13:07
noboru wrote:
If she is awarded with the scolarship, but the company does not find that out, and therefore allow her to take a leave of absence, but she does not take the leave (D), in that case she can quite without the company knowing anything about the scholarship.

Hope that helped.

absolutely - the conclusion is - she will quit ONLY IF technocomp finds out - which is fine insofar as once T finds out she has no option BUT TO QUIT. But even if T doesn't find out - she can choose either to quit or take leave of absence. So there is a chance she could quit even if T doesn't find out so we can't say that she will quit ONLY IF T finds out... good question... I got stumped big time...
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2010, 20:06
D is a defender. Argument is kind of useless. E and B are OUT since they offer one choice or the other. The other choices are situational. IMO : D
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2010, 13:57
This is Defender based assumption question. Here we are supposed to find the assumption that will act as a defender to the conclusion in other words it will try to provide support to the argument.

(A) Technocomp will find out about Ann being offered the fellowship only if someone informs on her.
-- This assumption in no ways trying to support the conclusion i.e. Ann will quit the job if Technocomp finds out she got the scholarship. Hence A is not a correct answer choice.

(B) The reason Ann wants the fellowship is so she can quit her job at Technocomp.
-- Irrelevant. Hence B cannot be a correct answer choice.

(C) Technocomp does not allow any of its employees to take a leave of absence in order to work for one of its competitors.
-- This is a shell game. This might be possible but ann is going to school and not company's competitors. Hence C cannot be a correct answer choice.

(D) Ann will take a leave of absence if Technocomp allows her to take a leave of absence.
-- This is a correct answer choice. Ann will take leave of absence if given a choice else she will quit the job. You can even logically negate this choice and see if it is weakening the conclusion.

(E) Ann would be offered the fellowship only if she quit her job at Technocomp
Irrelevant. Hence E cannot be a correct answer choice.

Logical negation of D: Ann will not take a leave of absence if Technocomp allows her to take a leave of absence. This is definitely weakening the conclusion. Thank You.

Thanks,
Akhil M.Parekh
Non-Human User
Premium Member
Re: Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 08:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2019, 08:25

Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap