GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 23:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and return in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and return in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 08:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (02:25) correct 49% (02:27) wrong based on 365 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and return in a year or else she will quit her job there; but she would not do either one unless she were offered a one-year teaching fellowship at a prestigious university. Technocomp will allow her to take a leave of absence if it does not find out that she has been offered the fellowship, but not otherwise. Therefore, Ann will quit her job at Technocomp only if Technocomp finds out she has been offered the fellowship.

Which one of the following, if assumed, allows the conclusion above to be properly drawn?

(A) Technocomp will find out about Ann being offered the fellowship only if someone informs on her.

(B) The reason Ann wants the fellowship is so she can quit her job at Technocomp.

(C) Technocomp does not allow any of its employees to take a leave of absence in order to work for one of its competitors.

(D) Ann will take a leave of absence if Technocomp allows her to take a leave of absence.

(E) Ann would be offered the fellowship only if she quit her job at Technocomp

G
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V34
Re: Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and return in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 09:37
Nice question!!

Answer per me is D.

Explaination:
Ann has two options, given she gets fellowship:
1) take a year vacation
2) quit the job

Otherwise she won't take any.

Now... If her company somehow knows about fellowship they won't give vacation.

So, Ann will quit the job only if her company knows about the fellowship.

Well what if she quits the job because of another reason. As per power score terminology, it's a strongly worded argument and yes we need to defend the other ways through which we can guard the argument from other scenarios in which Ann could quit.

A) the point is not how the company would find about Ann. It's about how she will not quit because of any other cicrumstances.

B) the intent Behind opting for fellowship does not show us why she won't choose to quit.

C) this is completely irrelevant ....

D) well as per this option we know that Ann has choice to either chose to take leave or quit. What if even they don't know and Ann plans to quit ( as per logical structure she can do that and hence we need to negate this to defend the only if condition)
Hence this is our answer.

E) the question is how she will quit not why.

Regards,
Rishav

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
D
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and return in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2019, 10:05
Conclusion states that Ann will quit only if Technocomp does not let her take leave of absence.
Hence if Technocomp allows it will take leave of absence. statement D very clearly repeats this assumption.
Hence answer D

(A) Technocomp will find out about Ann being offered the fellowship only if someone informs on her. No where mentioned as a possibility.

(B) The reason Ann wants the fellowship is so she can quit her job at Technocomp. Not at all implied. Rather reverse is mentioned that she will quit only if they find out.

(C) Technocomp does not allow any of its employees to take a leave of absence in order to work for one of its competitors. Competitors are not mentioned

(D) Ann will take a leave of absence if Technocomp allows her to take a leave of absence. Stated clearly

(E) Ann would be offered the fellowship only if she quit her job at Technocomp. Reverse mentioned
Director
Director
P
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 10:51
Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and return in a year or else she will quit her job there; but she would not do either one unless she were offered a one-year teaching fellowship at a prestigious university. Technocomp will allow her to take a leave of absence if it does not find out that she has been offered the fellowship, but not otherwise. Therefore, Ann will quit her job at Technocomp only if Technocomp finds out she has been offered the fellowship.

Which one of the following, if assumed, allows the conclusion above to be properly drawn?

(A) Technocomp will find out about Ann being offered the fellowship only if someone informs on her. may be but this is too specific and there may be other ways, but whether technocorp will know or not is not the point.

(B) The reason Ann wants the fellowship is so she can quit her job at Technocomp.
if she wants to quite she will quite why will she take a leave of absence.

(C) Technocomp does not allow any of its employees to take a leave of absence in order to work for one of its competitors. she will not be working for a competitor. atleast we don't know that.

(D) Ann will take a leave of absence if Technocomp allows her to take a leave of absence. Correct assumption because how else will she be able to take a leave of absence.

(E) Ann would be offered the fellowship only if she quit her job at Technocomp no the causal relation does not apply here.
Intern
Intern
B
Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and return in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 12:57
This is a great, challenging question! Very "LSAT." ;)

Since it's an Assumption question, I recommend separating out the evidence from the conclusion, and looking for the "concept shift" in the conclusion. That is, what the new information is in the conclusion that the correct assumption will have to "account" for.

Evidence: Ann will take a sabbatical OR quit, but not if she gets a fellowship. But T won't let her take the sabbatical if she gets the fellowship (the jerks!). :)

Conclusion: Ann will quit only if T finds out she has been offered the fellowship.

Concept Shift: To me, this conclusion hinges on this idea of "ONLY" -- why will she ONLY quit if T finds out?

It seems like the author is assuming that Ann wants to take the leave of absence. The correct answer has to have something to do with Ann's desires.

Prediction: Something that explains why will she ONLY quit if T finds out.

(D) is the only one that addresses this specific scope.

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor. I've freelanced with Veritas Prep, Magoosh, and most of the bigger test prep companies. Now offering Skype-based private tutoring for the GMAT and GRE.

Reading Comprehension is my jam! :)
Booth Moderator
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 20:31
This I felt was infact an easy one.

Only one option(D) is within the scope.

Deconstructing the argument took considerable time though.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 04:06
option d mentions that ann will take a leave if allowed. Isn't it already mentioned in the premise?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 05:17
Raj30 wrote:
option d mentions that ann will take a leave if allowed. Isn't it already mentioned in the premise?

Produce the answer choice that bests (D). I know, that's not very nice, but you know what I mean. :-D The correct answer just has to be BETTER than the other four.

Look at the question-stem: Which one of the following, if assumed, allows the conclusion above to be properly drawn?

So, we might ask ourselves, which answer choice allow the conclusion to be properly drawn BETTER than (D)?

I think the GMAT is a lot easier when we stop putting the pressure on ourselves to find the "one perfect answer" and start to step back and consider, "okay, I have this group of 5; which one does the GMAT want me to pick?"

I know this is an LSAT question (so to be honest not really on par with the GMAT), but I think you know what I mean. :)

Honestly, even though I'm here commenting on this, I'm not convinced LSAT questions are really worth the average GMAT student's time unless you get to a point in which you are at a 700 and going for a 750.

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor. I've freelanced with Veritas Prep, Magoosh, and most of the bigger test prep companies. Now offering Skype-based private tutoring for the GMAT and GRE.

Reading Comprehension is my jam! :)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2019, 10:43
Bunuel wrote:

(A) Technocomp will find out about Ann being offered the fellowship only if someone informs on her.

(C) Technocomp does not allow any of its employees to take a leave of absence in order to work for one of its competitors.

(D) Ann will take a leave of absence if Technocomp allows her to take a leave of absence.

(E) Ann would be offered the fellowship only if she quit her job at Technocomp

Guys, i hope you all have solved this one. For ones who didn't manage to or didn't get the explanations, here is the clue:
One is taking a leave of absence, and one is allowing a leave of absence. These are two distinct elements present in thr argument. So this one was is a supporter assumption and the answer deals with linking these elements because nowhere in the stimulus is this link present.

PS раскидал на EZ
GMAT Club Bot
Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and return in   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2019, 10:43

Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and return in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics