GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 23:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Appointed to the position in 1950 byHarry S. Truman, Edith Sampson bec

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
Schools: LBS MIF '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
Appointed to the position in 1950 byHarry S. Truman, Edith Sampson bec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Nov 2018, 00:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (00:40) correct 17% (00:43) wrong based on 453 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Appointed to the position in 1950 by Harry S. Truman, Edith Sampson became the first African American woman to be named an official representative to the United Nations.

A. Appointed to the position in 1950 by Harry S. Truman, Edith Sampson became the first African American woman to be named an official representative to the United Nations.

B. In Edith Sampson, Harry S.Truman appointed the first African American woman to be named an official representative to the United Nations in 1950.

C. Harry S. Truman appointed Edith Sampson, in 1950, to the position as the first African American woman official representative to the United Nations.

D. The first African American woman to be named an official representative to the United Nations, Harry S.Truman appointed Edith Sampson to the position in 1950

E. Appointed by Harry S. Truman in 1950 as the first African American woman to be named an official representative to the United Nations was Edith Sampson

Attachment:
Q2.png
Q2.png [ 24.96 KiB | Viewed 5382 times ]

Originally posted by rs47 on 15 Jun 2016, 05:39.
Last edited by gmat1393 on 08 Nov 2018, 00:21, edited 4 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Intern
Intern
Re: Appointed to the position in 1950 byHarry S. Truman, Edith Sampson bec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 06:12
A seems to be the correct answer. The opening modifier is correctly followed by Edith Sampson.

All the other options have either modifier issue or change the meaning.
Manager
Manager
G
Re: Appointed to the position in 1950 byHarry S. Truman, Edith Sampson bec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 06:47
powellmittra wrote:
A seems to be the correct answer. The opening modifier is correctly followed by Edith Sampson.

What is the issue with B?

Thanks in advance
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 07:28
A is the correct answer as this option does not have modifier issue.

B. 'In Edith Sampson'- 'Edith Sampson' is a person and not the time that is preceded by 'in'. Another issue is that 'HT appointed ES as the first African American women' and not mentioned that that year African American women would named as an....

C. 'in 1950' seems a misplaced modifier.

D. 'The first african american women.......' incorrectly modifies HT

E. Weird sentence structure.

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 23:55
rs47 wrote:
powellmittra wrote:

What is the issue with B?

Thanks in advance

B changes the intention of meaning. He didnt appoint first women. It was just the result that she became first women for something.
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 05:45
abrakadabra21 wrote:

B changes the intention of meaning. He didnt appoint first women. It was just the result that she became first women for something.

Why did I not realise this earlier? This is a big mistake with option B.. thanks a lot for the clarification :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2016, 01:15
Hi guys,

Why C is wrong. I dont think "in 1950" is misplaced modifier, since it can modifies when Truman appoints Sampson.
Please help, thanks.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2016, 21:51
in 1950 should be part of the main clause i think !! Experts please help to understand option C
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 05:23
anuj11 wrote:
in 1950 should be part of the main clause i think !! Experts please help to understand option C

ThangLe wrote:
Hi guys,

Why C is wrong. I dont think "in 1950" is misplaced modifier, since it can modifies when Truman appoints Sampson.
Please help, thanks.

It is not required to isolate "in 1950" with two commas. The prepositional phrase "in 1950" is a verb modifier referring to the verb "appointed". (Most prepositional phrases are verb/verbal modifiers). However in GMAT it is not recommended to eliminate an answer choice just because of punctuation issues - there must be some other major problem in the wrong answer choice.

The main problems in option C are as follows:

1. Wrong Idiom - appoint X as Y... should be appoint X Y. The preposition "as" should not be there.
2. Redundant use of "to the position". Because of the construction of the sentence "to the position" is unnecessary.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 07:40
A - Modifier correctly attributes to Edith Sampson

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 07:46
rs47 wrote:
Kindly provide reasoning as well..

Apoointed to the position.... modifies what comes next ( Edith Samson ) , hence the original sentence is correct...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 10:36
IMO, the main decision points are I) Meaning and II) Modifier

Modifiers usually go hand in hand with Logical Meaning, so one should rely on grammatical rules, but rather understand the intended meaning. Wrong placement of Modifiers change the meaning. Why in fact does a wrongly placed modifier change meaning? It is important to understand the function of modifiers. Modifier give a description of an object! So if you misplace the modifier you describe something else than is actually true. So to go through the ACs.

A) -ed Partial modifier clearly modifies Edith Sampson. There is no other entity that could be modified. The passive voice clearly describes who appointed the position. Meaning: Harry Truman appointed Edith to the position. She became the first African American women to be named an official representative....

B) Prepositional Phrase IN Edit Sampson is not logical. Also meaning has changed: Harry Truman appointed the first African American women to be named an official representative.

C) Harry S. Truman appointed Edith Sampson to the position as the first AA woman -> Clearly not the intended meaning: He appointed her to the position, but not as the first AA woman... that she became the First AA woman was the result!

D) The first AA women is a noun modifier, therefore must touch E -> This indicates that Harry Truman is the first AA woman...

E) Appointed as the first AA women to be named? -> Clearly not intended meaning: She was appointed to a position that made her then to the first AA woman...
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 06:10
No one can appoint someone as FIRST PERSON TO BE something.Such as , I cannot appoint TRUMP to be first President of america :) *(sorry no offense ). After appointing the person becomes the first person to be appointed.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 03:07
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Appointed to the position in 1950 byHarry S. Truman, Edith Sampson bec &nbs [#permalink] 13 Sep 2018, 03:07

Appointed to the position in 1950 byHarry S. Truman, Edith Sampson bec

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap