GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 25 Jan 2020, 12:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ask Libereka - How to choose a business school, funding, etc.

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Ask Libereka - How to choose a business school, funding, etc.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2019, 03:40
Hello folks. Let me introduce myself. My name is Soumik, and I have over 16 years of experience in the MBA domain - having started my career as a coach/mentor, then as a core team member of Pagalguy, admissions head of business schools, and I was the head of digital platforms such as TopMBA and TopUniversities with QS Quacquarelli Symonds.

I have counselled over 8000 students over the past decade, worked with numerous admissions officers from across 2000 business schools (internationally), partnered with organizations such as the GMAC and ETS, and I have also published articles on student recruitment trends, trends in business education, amongst others.

I am here to help answer any query related to your early-stage research (how to choose a business school program?) to more advanced stage queries around funding, how to choose between two confirmed offers, etc.

Send your answers my way, and I will be happy to come back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks
Soumik
Previous: Head of Digital Products - QS Quacquarelli Symonds - TopMBA; QSLEAP
; Vice President - PaGaLGuY

About Libereka
* Guaranteed Scholarsghip of $500 to support your Univ preparation
* Application cost sponsorship for any Business School program that you're applying to this year
* Free Document verification and Free blockchain wallet to store all verified documents
* Free Quote of Education Loan from the best student loan providers (finance companies, ISA, etc.)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross '22, ISB '20, NUS '20
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge
Re: Ask Libereka - How to choose a business school, funding, etc.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 04:06
How people are affording mba in US.....mainly ones from india
if only through loans.......can we handle the pressure of a loan of 200-250k?
else should go with any lower ranked school which offers scholarship
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 05:32
madgmat2019 wrote:
How people are affording mba in US.....mainly ones from india
if only through loans.......can we handle the pressure of a loan of 200-250k?
else should go with any lower ranked school which offers scholarship

Hi

The 2 year MBA ecosystem has become pretty complicated in terms of who it really serves and what is a good time for people with varied experiences and backgrounds to pursue one.

GMAC's own reports in recent times have clearly stated that while the demand has gone down particularly for the 2yr program variant across the board, it remains the best option for a certain set of personas (they identified some 7-8 of such personas). Which means that someone's definition of good ROI from a high-tuition program is not necessarily the same as someone else's. Therefore, loan of 200-250K (or debt, rather) that one will carry into the corporate life post MBA will depend on both the relevance of someone's background/ persona in that country, the competition quotient (how many such talents are available to companies v/s the total number of jobs available) as well as the point in the career they are at. Sadly, most ROI calculators ignore such micro factors, and therefore I will urge you to go ahead and do these calculations yourself.

I think with respect to any "compromise", wherein one is looking to go for a lower ranked school or program due to low-tuition alone, it will be a wrong call to make. That's because - primarily, lower ranked programs find themselves at that position due to either their lack of research, infra, or batch profile to have any amount of academic or employer reputation. I experienced this first hand when we compiled the QS World MBA Rankings, and while I never subscribe to such elitist rankings tables, I don't have any reason to not believe the hard data that goes behind such lists.

If you have the right profile, then hold out for the best ranked school you have got and "ask" for scholarships. There are options outside the academic ones that they provide, and most often than not, the premium you pay right now is paid back in multiples when you complete the program.

I hope this helps. I am happy to take up any followup question as well.

Thanks
Previous: Head of Digital Products - QS Quacquarelli Symonds - TopMBA; QSLEAP
; Vice President - PaGaLGuY

About Libereka
* Guaranteed Scholarsghip of $500 to support your Univ preparation
* Application cost sponsorship for any Business School program that you're applying to this year
* Free Document verification and Free blockchain wallet to store all verified documents
* Free Quote of Education Loan from the best student loan providers (finance companies, ISA, etc.)
Manager
Manager
P
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 11:19
Very informative and insightful. I bet many people here will benefit from your experience and insight!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ask Libereka - How to choose a business school, funding, etc.   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2019, 11:19

Ask Libereka - How to choose a business school, funding, etc.

new topic post reply Update application status