GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 22:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

At a hospital, babies are born every day for a certain number of days.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User
At a hospital, babies are born every day for a certain number of days.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 22:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (02:33) correct 48% (02:29) wrong based on 126 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

At a hospital, babies are born every day for a certain number of days. If 6 or more babies were born for 20% of the total number of days, is the median number of babies born less than 4?

1) On 75% of the days that less than 6 babies were born, the number of babies born each day was less than 4.

2) On 50% of the days that 4 or more babies were born, the number of babies born each day was 6 or more.

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/
Intern
Intern
B
At a hospital, babies are born every day for a certain number of days.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Mar 2017, 09:02
Hi,
thanks for posting!
Legend:
#b = number of born (number of people that were born on a given day);
S={#b} = set of all the #b measured (S contains 'n' numbers of born);
med(S)= median of the set S.

Problem:
every day: #b born, for n days; #b>6 on 20% of n days; is med(S={#b})<4?

(1) 75% of 80% of n days, #b<4;
(80% =percent of the days with less than 6 born=(1-20%))

(2) 50% of (# of days where #b>4, the #b was greater than 6); This means that 20% of the n days #b>6 and thanks to statement 2, 20% of the n days #b>4.

Now, to solve this I assumed n=20days (since we have 3/4 and x/5 fractions).

Statement (1):
3/4*(4/5)*(n) --> #b<4, hence for 12 days the #b is less than 4, which means that the median of the set S (set of the #b) is less than 4. Sufficient.

Statement (2):
if half of the time that #b>4 #b is actually greater that 6, then 20% of the n days #b>6 and 20% of n days #b>4;
20% of 20 = 4 days --> 4 days #b>6 and 4 days #b>4. Hence, on the other days, #b will be less then 4, which means that the median is less than 4. Sufficient.

Answer D.

I hope I haven't made any mistakes in my reasoning; this was the only way I could think about the solution.

Originally posted by carlopanieri on 13 Mar 2017, 04:01.
Last edited by carlopanieri on 15 Mar 2017, 09:02, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Status: GMAT_BOOOOOOM.............. Failure is not an Option
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 510 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: At a hospital, babies are born every day for a certain number of days.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 03:30
Bunuel - Please help - Question is not clear

Cheers!!!!
Sit Tight and Enjoy !!!!!!! :)
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: At a hospital, babies are born every day for a certain number of days.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 05:45
ziyuen wrote:
At a hospital, babies are born every day for a certain number of days. If 6 or more babies were born for 20% of the total number of days, is the median number of babies born less than 4?

1) On 75% of the days that less than 6 babies were born, the number of babies born each day was less than 4.

2) On 50% of the days that 4 or more babies were born, the number of babies born each day was 6 or more.

OFFICIAL SOLUTION

By solving con 1) & con 2) together,

Median number of babies born (about 50%)

shown above, con 1) = con 2). In other words,

For con 1), on 80% of the total days, less than 6 babies were born each day, and on 75% of that days, less than 4 babies were born each day, thus it becomes 80%(75%)=60%, and therefore on 60% of the total days, less than 4 babies were born each day.

For con 2), on 50% of the days that 4 or more babies were born each day, 6 or more babies were born each day, thus it becomes 4 or more ~ less than 6 = 6 or more babies, and therefore you get 20% each as shown above. Then, the median number of the babies born is always about 50% and according to the figure above, it is always less than 4, hence yes, it is sufficient. Therefore, the answer is D.
Attachments

hi.jpg
hi.jpg [ 72.26 KiB | Viewed 1697 times ]

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 05:49
abhisheksinha717 wrote:
Bunuel - Please help - Question is not clear

Dear MathRevolution, Could you help to resolve?

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 01:31
ziyuen wrote:

ziyuen
Answer: D.
statement-1: % of days when #babies born was less than 4 = (80%*75%) = 60% of total time. So median < 4. Sufficient
statement-2: % of days when 4 or more were born = 2*20% = 40% of total time. So 60% of the time less than 4 were born. Hence median < 4. Sufficient
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 06:32
ziyuen wrote:

For 20% of the days, 6 or more babies were born. So for 80% of the days, 1/2/3/4/5 babies were born.
Say there were 100 days. 6 or more babies were born for the last 20 days. Then in the first 80 days, less than 6 babies were born each day.
Is median less than 4?
Is the average of 50th and 51st term less than 4?

75% of those 80 days when less than 6 babies were born, i.e. on 60 days, less than 4 babies were born. So the 50th and 51st terms will be less than 4. The median will be less than 4.
Sufficient.

On 20 days, 6 or more babies were born. This constitutes 50% of the days on which 4 or more babies were born. So on 20 days, 4 or 5 babies were born.
Hence on 60 days, less than 4 babies were born. So the 50th and 51st terms will be less than 4. The median will be less than 4.
Sufficient.

Answer (D)

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Current Student
G
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 08:31
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
For 20% of the days, 6 or more babies were born. So for 80% of the days, 1/2/3/4/5 babies were born.
Say there were 100 days. 6 or more babies were born for the last 20 days. Then in the first 80 days, less than 6 babies were born each day.
Is median less than 4?

75% of those 80 days when less than 6 babies were born, i.e. on 60 days, less than 4 babies were born. So the 50th and 51st terms will be less than 4. The median will be less than 4.
Sufficient.

On 20 days, 6 or more babies were born. This constitutes 50% of the days on which 4 or more babies were born. So on 20 days, 4 or 5 babies were born.
Hence on 60 days, less than 4 babies were born. So the 50th and 51st terms will be less than 4. The median will be less than 4.
Sufficient.

Answer (D)

Karishma,

If the question was asking about average and not median would the answer be C ? I read the question wrong and solved it for average and not median and now wondering if i did the math right or not.
V

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 02:03
mbsingh wrote:
Is median less than 4?

Sufficient.

Sufficient.

Answer (D)

Karishma,

If the question was asking about average and not median would the answer be C ? I read the question wrong and solved it for average and not median and now wondering if i did the math right or not.

Please specify exactly how you interpreted the question and solved it. Note that the average depends on the exact value of each element in the set. Just saying 50% are 4 or less would not be sufficient. You would need to know how many are 4, how many are 3, how many are 2 and how many are 1.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Current Student
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 09:49
Please specify exactly how you interpreted the question and solved it. Note that the average depends on the exact value of each element in the set. Just saying 50% are 4 or less would not be sufficient. You would need to know how many are 4, how many are 3, how many are 2 and how many are 1.

I read the question as -

At a hospital, babies are born every day for a certain number of days. If 6 or more babies were born for 20% of the total number of days, is the average number of babies born less than 4?

V

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 20:38
mbsingh wrote:

I read the question as -

At a hospital, babies are born every day for a certain number of days. If 6 or more babies were born for 20% of the total number of days, is the average number of babies born less than 4?

Say there are 100 days. 6 or more babies were born on 20 days. Note that the number of babies born on these 20 days could be any number greater than 6 such as 20 or 50 or 120 etc. The minimum number of babies on these 20 days would be 120. There is no limit to the maximum number.

On 80 days, less than 6 babies were born. Of these, 75% is 60 days. On 60 days, less than 4 babies were born. So on 60 days, you have minimum 60 babies born and maximum 180 babies born.
On the leftover 20 days, 4 or 5 babies were born so 80 or 100 babies.
The minimum average is (120 + 60 + 80)/ 100 = 2.6
The maximum average could be anything.
Not sufficient.

The 20 days when 6 or more babies were born make up 50% of the days when 4 or more babies were born. So for 20 days, 4 or 5 babies were born i.e. 80 or 100 babies
For 60 days, 1/2/3 babies were born. So on 60 days, you have minimum 60 babies born and maximum 180 babies born.
The minimum average is (120 + 60 + 80)/ 100 = 2.6
The maximum average could be anything.
Not sufficient.

Note that both statements give you the same information. So if they are not sufficient independently, they are not sufficient together.
Answer of this modified question would be (E)

Current Student
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 20:28
Thanks VeritasPrepKarishma . That's really helpful :)

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2019, 09:32
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: At a hospital, babies are born every day for a certain number of days.   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2019, 09:32

At a hospital, babies are born every day for a certain number of days.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics