Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20707 [163]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [26]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [15]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19724 [12]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Re: Before Colette, the female writers of France had been aristocrats [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
hazelnut wrote:
Before Colette, the female writers of France had been aristocrats, from Mme de Lafayette to Anne de Noailles; there were no Jane Austens or Brontë sisters, perhaps because there were almost no clergymen’s daughters.

(A) were no Jane Austens or
(B) were not Jane Austens or
(C) was not Jane Austen nor the
(D) was not a Jane Austen or the
(E) was no Jane Austen or no

SC42561.01

https://archives.newyorker.com/?iid=16410&crd=0&searchKey=Colette#folio=070

THE NEW YORKER, DECEMBER 29, 1980 ISSUE
BOOKS : An Armful of Field Flowers

Attachment:
Annotation 2019-09-21 204920.jpg

Official Explanation

Idiom; Diction

The sentence attempts to convey that, before Collette, female writers in France were members of the aristocracy. Furthermore, the sentence suggests that the explanation of why there were no non-aristocratic writers—as there had been in England—may be because there were almost no clergymen's daughters.

The sentence exemplifies the non-aristocratic writers of England by reference to Jane Austen and the Brontë sisters. However, the sentence uses these authors to indicate a particular type of author. That is, the point is not to say, for example, that Jane Austen herself did not write in France at the time, but rather to say that no author like Jane Austen wrote in France at the time.

This is conveyed idiomatically by saying there were no Jane Austens or Brontë sisters, which the sentence correctly uses to indicate “there were no authors of the Jane Austen or Brontë sister type.” Several of the answer choices do not present this idiom correctly.

A. Correct. As indicated above, the sentence is clear and idiomatically correct.
B. Were not Jane Austens or Brontë sisters is not idiomatically correct.
C. Was not Jane Austen nor the Brontë sisters is not idiomatically correct.
D. Was not a Jane Austen or the Brontë sisters is not idiomatically correct.
E. Was no Jane Austen or no Brontë sisters is not idiomatically correct.

The correct answer is A.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [11]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Before Colette, the female writers of France had been aristocrats [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
hazelnut wrote:
Before Colette, the female writers of France had been aristocrats, from Mme de Lafayette to Anne de Noailles; there were no Jane Austens or Brontë sisters, perhaps because there were almost no clergymen’s daughters.

This is an interesting question to see from GMAC! This is a weird idiom that we native speakers use, but I feel like it is a bit informal. Below is an example of how I may use this idiom in an everyday conversation.

"Mike, has the NBA ever seen a player as dominant as LeBron James?" - A young person.
"Of course! Before Lebron was around, you had your Kobe Bryants and your Michael Jordans. And before them, there were the Larry Birds and Magic Johnsons of the NBA." - Mike

Back to the question, there is obviously only one Jane Austen, so you may think that you need the singular "Austen" in (C), (D), or (E).

However, as daagh pointed out, "Brontë sisters" is not underlined. So we should see that as a clue and think about parallelism.

Since "Brontë sisters" is plural, we need the plural verb "were." (C), (D), (E)
Between A and B, we have an idiom decision.

(A) there were no X's or Y's.
(B) there were not X's or Y's.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi daagh

Can you please elaborate why we need plural verb? I am still not able to grasp the concept.

Pleased guide.

daagh wrote:
Answer is straight A.

No Jane Austen's or Bronte sisters is the correct style.
Because you have Bronte sisters, which is plural, you are required to have the plural verb 'were'. This factor eliminates C, D, and E.

Between A and B:

Not Jane Austens is not parallel to no Clergyman's in B
A is the choice

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Dear ArtVandaley

Bronte sisters were three sisters by name Charlotte Bronte, Emily Bronte e and Anne Bronte. We don’t take the name Bronte sisters as singular proper nouns

It is just a style of writing that we magnify indivduals with the affix 's' to glorify their greatness

It is common to write that --today we don't have Abraham Lincolns. Mahatma Gandhis, Nelson Mandelas or Akbars among us to teach us forbearance.

We need a plural verb since structurally the given words are plural
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [11]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one thing at a time, to quickly narrow down our choices to the right one! To begin, scan through the question and highlight the major differences we can find in orange:

After a quick glance over the options, there are a few places we can focus on:

1. were vs. was
2. no vs. not
3. or / nor the / or the / or no

Let's start with #1 on our list: were vs. was. No matter which one we choose, it will eliminate 2-3 options rather quickly. We need to make sure that whichever verb we choose can apply to BOTH sets of people listed - not just the first one that's listed. To make this easier to spot, let's add "Brontë sisters" to each option:

(A) were no Jane Austens or Brontë sisters ("were" works with both items because they're both plural)
(B) were not Jane Austens or Brontë sisters ("were" works with both items because they're both plural)
(C) was not Jane Austen nor the Brontë sisters (singular "was" doesn't work with plural "sisters")
(D) was not a Jane Austen or the Brontë sisters (singular "was" doesn't work with plural "sisters")
(E) was no Jane Austen or no Brontë sisters (singular "was" doesn't work with plural "sisters")

We can eliminate options C, D, & E because they use a singular verb with the plural Brontë sisters.

Now that we have it narrowed down to only 2 options, let's look at the only difference we have left: no vs. not. This is an idiom issue! When we say that we're lacking two sets of things, there is a certain way we express that in English:

There were no Xs or Ys = CORRECT
There were not Xs or Ys = INCORRECT

Let's see how our options break down:

There you have it - option A was the correct choice all along! By focusing on the key differences, we were able to eliminate a lot of options right off the bat, leaving us with only a simple decision to make in the end!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [3]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos

(B) were not Jane Austens or - the usage of 'not' seems incorrect
(C) was not Jane Austen nor the - the usage of 'not' seems incorrect
(D) was not a Jane Austen or the - the usage of 'not' seems incorrect
(E) was no Jane Austen or no-

1. Can we use subject-verb agreement here to eliminate option C, D and E? Because, in my opinion the verb that follows ';there' should agree in number with the what follows it(before the 'or' or 'nor')? Although Bronte sisters is plural, the verb needs to agree ONLY with Jane Austen.
2. Can you please explain the usage of 'Jane Austens' in OA(A)?
3. Is the usage of a Jane Austen vs the Brontë sisters correct?
4. In option E, is the usage of 'no' that follows 'or' redundant?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , EducationAisle , other experts - please enlighten
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [2]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
One final doubt about this question.

Which of the following is correct?

1- there were sun or planets
2- there was sun or planets.

Does the verb agree to the sun or to planets, and why?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [9]
Send PM
Kudos