Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: [Help] Best strategy for last 10 days of preparation - 720 Q49 V39 [#permalink]
Kudos
For the last 10 days

> Focus on official questions. How about reviewing all the questions from your official test 1 through 3? How about try the official test 1 through 3 one more time?
> Sleep very well every day in the last week. Resting well is way more important as the final preparation. But you can still study until the last day. Your goal is to maintain your current skills. You can certainly score 720+.
> 3-4 days before the test, take the official test 4 under the test condition. Perform as you would in the actual test. The score you get should be very realistic prediction.
> In the test 4 and real test:
(1) Maintain your momentum in speed. Try to be ahead of the time a little bit. That does mean educated / random guess for hardest question. That also means that for some verbal questions, you will be brave to spot and choose the "right answer" without eliminating all the "wrong answers". Pacing is super important, and can ensure you get the accurate score.
(2) Focus on the questions on the screen and not worry about your score. You will see the score at the end of the test. Active reading. Active thinking. Your brain will have to run efficiently, which is why resting well is super important.
(3) Be calm. Have confidence in yourself.

Good luck!
Current Student
Send PM
Re: [Help] Best strategy for last 10 days of preparation - 720 Q49 V39 [#permalink]
Thanks for the amazing replies! I gotcha -- main focus: DO NOT BURN OUT hahaha, duly noted

ScottTargetTestPrep -- I will certainly do that light review on Combinatorics and Word problems! Also go through my error log and review my errors from day one

Quote:
(1) Maintain your momentum in speed. Try to be ahead of the time a little bit. That does mean educated / random guess for hardest question. That also means that for some verbal questions, you will be brave to spot and choose the "right answer" without eliminating all the "wrong answers". Pacing is super important, and can ensure you get the accurate score.

zhanbo, I think this is what I need on verbal! SC questions are eating out my time, and I've been getting more insecure about them, that even if I spot the right answer I go back just in case. Great advice!

EMPOWERgmatRichC After reviewing each section of this recent CAT I found a few of the common pitfalls you mentioned. If you have any more advice, it would be greatly appreciated

Reviewing my CAT:
Quant: 8 mistakes
1) Because of a silly/little mistake? 5 -- e.g., most algebra mistake like forgetting to do a multiplication
2a) Because I picked the wrong strategy: 3 -- Example: in one I'd be better off with picking number but went through hard algebra instead. Other 2 DS I wasn't too diligent (I narrowed down to C/E, dig a bit deeper, but didn't worked through to be 100%)

Verbal - 8 mistakes
3) Because the question was too hard? 3 SC / 1 CR
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess? 1 SC 3RC
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong? 3 SC

I've been working a lot on SC, but I can't improve much. And it seems to be taking time I could spend on RC questions, in which I do quite well.
I think I need to let go earlier of SC questions -- read, scan choices, eliminate -- if I can't figure out the correct choice, just move on. Any thoughts?

Thanks again guys!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi gianluigi19,

Based on your analysis, the two immediate areas that you should focus on are your general organization/note-taking and your general grammar/idiom knowledge. Based on the pacing issue that you described, it's not clear if your approach to SCs is the only 'inefficiency' that you have in the Verbal section. On this CAT, what was the average time you spent on your SCs and CRs?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Based on your analysis, the two immediate areas that you should focus on are your general organization/note-taking and your general grammar/idiom knowledge. Based on the pacing issue that you described, it's not clear if your approach to SCs is the only 'inefficiency' that you have in the Verbal section. On this CAT, what was the average time you spent on your SCs and CRs?

Here they are:
Critical Reasoning 01m 29s
Reading Comprehension 01m 57s
Sentence Correction 01m 59s

Thanks again, Rich!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
gianluigi19 wrote:
Thanks for the amazing replies! I gotcha -- main focus: DO NOT BURN OUT hahaha, duly noted

ScottTargetTestPrep -- I will certainly do that light review on Combinatorics and Word problems! Also go through my error log and review my errors from day one

Sounds good. Good luck with your GMAT!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi gianluigi19,

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot